[comp.sys.amiga] SIGGRAPH -- The REAL show stopper. was Re: VideoScape 3D Review

nick@hp-sdd.HP.COM (Nick Flor) (08/02/87)

In article <1097@gryphon.CTS.COM> jdow@pnet02.CTS.COM (Joanne Dow) writes:
>Ah well - after all his complaints about the userface of VS3D he sure provided
>us with a show stopper at SIGGRAPH, didn't he? 700K of anim file, 96 frames of
>a unicycle juggling three balls as the viewpoint circled the stage. It shows
>that for all the human interface problems VS3D can sure do some nice stuff.
>(And I liked the way ShowANIM and SONIX worked so well together...)
><@_@>
>        Like WOW Leo - ya out done yerself Kid!

I'll admit that it was good given the limitations Leo had to work with,
but it paled in comparison to a lot of the other animations (done on the
ZILLION dollar parallel processor graphics computers etc...).
A good demo, but not THE show stopper.

The REAL show stopper at the Commodore Amiga booth at SIGGRAPH was the girl
doing the MAX HEADROOM-type video for DigiView.

I'm sure everyone who was at SIGGRAPH will agree with me on this one.

--
+ Disclaimer: The above opinions are my own, not necessarily my employers'.    +
+ "What's going down in this world,     | Nick V. Flor                         +

baer@percival.UUCP (Ken Baer) (08/04/87)

In article <915@hp-sdd.HP.COM> nick@hp-sdd.UUCP (Nick Flor) writes:
>In article <1097@gryphon.CTS.COM> jdow@pnet02.CTS.COM (Joanne Dow) writes:
>>Ah well - after all his complaints about the userface of VS3D he sure provided
>>us with a show stopper at SIGGRAPH, didn't he? 700K of anim file, 96 frames of
>>a unicycle juggling three balls as the viewpoint circled the stage. It shows
>>that for all the human interface problems VS3D can sure do some nice stuff.
>
>The REAL show stopper at the Commodore Amiga booth at SIGGRAPH was the girl
>doing the MAX HEADROOM-type video for DigiView.
>
>I'm sure everyone who was at SIGGRAPH will agree with me on this one.

Well, it was cute for a while, but I got a little tired of hearing 'Welcome
to NewTek!"  I thought the Maxine Headroom was a cute demo, but the concept
isn't exactly earth-shattering.  The novelty of Leo's Juggling unicycle was
that it was up on the monitors so quickely.  I'd just seen Red's Dream the
night before at it's first SIGGRAPH screeni.  I went by the Amiga booth
the next morning and saw the juggling unicycle and did an immediate double-
take.  Then I saw Leo's name on it, OF COURSE!  I think this demo was actually
better than Maxine because of the creative energy that went into it.  That's
what sets the Amiga apart from some of the other vendors at the show.  The
Apple booth sure didn't have that kind of energy.

[inews filler goes here]

--
	-Ken Baer.
I'm a graduate now, so please hire me!

nick@hp-sdd.HP.COM (Nick Flor) (08/05/87)

In article <831@percival.UUCP> baer@percival.pdx.com (Ken Baer) writes:
Me:
>>The REAL show stopper at the Commodore Amiga booth at SIGGRAPH was the girl
>>doing the MAX HEADROOM-type video for DigiView.
>>I'm sure everyone who was at SIGGRAPH will agree with me on this one.
>Well, it was cute for a while, but I got a little tired of hearing 'Welcome
>to NewTek!"  I thought the Maxine Headroom was a cute demo, but the concept
>isn't exactly earth-shattering.  The novelty of Leo's Juggling unicycle was

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.  For the umpteenth time.  It was not the Maxine Headroom
demo, it was the GIRL.   THE PHYSICAL GIRL HERSELF IN THE FLESH!!!  (She looks
much better in person than in the video).

Sheesh.  You guys can't even take a joke.

>that it was up on the monitors so quickely.  I'd just seen Red's Dream the
>night before at it's first SIGGRAPH screeni.  I went by the Amiga booth
>the next morning and saw the juggling unicycle and did an immediate double-
>take.  Then I saw Leo's name on it, OF COURSE!  I think this demo was actually
>better than Maxine because of the creative energy that went into it.  That's
>what sets the Amiga apart from some of the other vendors at the show.  The
>Apple booth sure didn't have that kind of energy.

See what I mean???  Yet another poster who thinks that Leo came up with
the idea all by his lonesome.  (And Doyle wonders why PIXAR is pissed).

The idea of the unicycle came from PIXAR.  Leo get's an "A" for implementation
energy.  Creativity energy credit goes to PIXAR.

It is far easier to implement than it is to conceive.
This is especially true in the case of art.

Nick
--

geoffk@otl.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Geoff Kim) (08/07/87)

In article <922@hp-sdd.HP.COM>, nick@hp-sdd.HP.COM (Nick Flor) writes:
> In article <831@percival.UUCP> baer@percival.pdx.com (Ken Baer) writes:
> >>The REAL show stopper at the Commodore Amiga booth at SIGGRAPH was the girl
> >>doing the MAX HEADROOM-type video for DigiView.
> >>I'm sure everyone who was at SIGGRAPH will agree with me on this one.
> >Well, it was cute for a while, but I got a little tired of hearing 'Welcome
> >to NewTek!"  I thought the Maxine Headroom was a cute demo, but the concept
>
> NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.  For the umpteenth time.  It was not the Maxine Headroom
> demo, it was the GIRL.   THE PHYSICAL GIRL HERSELF IN THE FLESH!!!  (She looks
> much better in person than in the video).

I don't know Nick.  Did you saunter by the Byte by Byte booth and check
out the "Byte by Byte Babe"?  Although it's pretty close, I think that I'd
still give Maxine the edge, though. ;-)

Hmmm, still no discussion on the new Mimetics graphics hardware which was
introduced at the show.  2 million colors, instantaneous frame capture.
This is all I was able to pick up.  Any additional info?

hah@mipon3.intel.com (Hans Hansen) (08/07/87)

In article <922@hp-sdd.HP.COM> nick@hp-sdd.UUCP (Nick Flor) writes:
>In article <831@percival.UUCP> baer@percival.pdx.com (Ken Baer) writes:
>
>>that it was up on the monitors so quickely.  I'd just seen Red's Dream the
>>night before at it's first SIGGRAPH screeni.  I went by the Amiga booth
>>the next morning and saw the juggling unicycle and did an immediate double-
>>take.  Then I saw Leo's name on it, OF COURSE!  I think this demo was actually
>>better than Maxine because of the creative energy that went into it.  That's
>>what sets the Amiga apart from some of the other vendors at the show.  The
>>Apple booth sure didn't have that kind of energy.
>
>See what I mean???  Yet another poster who thinks that Leo came up with
>the idea all by his lonesome.  (And Doyle wonders why PIXAR is pissed).
>The idea of the unicycle came from PIXAR.  Leo get's an "A" for implementation
>energy.  Creativity energy credit goes to PIXAR.

Are you really so sure???  It seem to me that there have been unicycles
and clowns around for hundreds of years.  There have also been games with
clowns riding unicycles... "Clowns".  The fact that PIXAR also ripped off
the clown on a unicycle image does not give them sole rights to it!

Hans

scotty@l5comp.UUCP (Scott Turner) (08/08/87)

In article <922@hp-sdd.HP.COM> nick@hp-sdd.UUCP (Nick Flor) writes:
>It is far easier to implement than it is to conceive.
>This is especially true in the case of art.

Some people conceive better than they implement.
Some people can't implement what they conceive.

Some times the conception is just a small part of the hell needed to get
something to work.

But it is ALWAYS a good idea to give credit where credit is due.

As for Pixar getting Leo, maybe they can try for a "look and feel?" ;-)

Ya shoulda used a 10 speed Leo! Ya could have had him tilt it back on the
rear wheel and then have him reach out with one hand and set the handle bar
spinning every so often while juggling.

Or use your OWN trademark and had him juggling while riding your favorite
kind of bike... With boing balls hanging off tassles on the handle bars?
And of course for sound interest a plastic card stuck in the spokes to make
a 'clicking' sound to show off yer sound syncing. And of course yer bike has
a CHAIN on it, you'd have to have all dem little links done up and moving... :)
Hmm, and a handle bar "trophy"? A small TV set with a C-A CAT head on the
other side? And of course something to play on the TV set while all this is
going on. The original Boing demo?

See, conceiving is easy.

Scott Turner
--
UUCP-stick: stride!l5comp!scotty | If you want to injure my goldfish just make
UUCP-auto: scotty@l5comp.UUCP    | sure I don't run up a vet bill.

In article <938@omepd> hah@mipon3.UUCP (Hans Hansen) writes:
>There have also been games with clowns riding unicycles... "Clowns". [...]

	Actually, as I recall, it was called "Kickman," by Bally Midway.
You controlled a clown on a unicycle, and had to catch balloons on your
head.  If you missed the balloon, you still had a chance by kicking the
balloon back up.  Your control was a trak-ball that rotated on only one
axis (don't ask me why).  It was ported to the C-64, and didn't survive the
trip.

	Loved the music....

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	ihnp4!ptsfa -\
 \_ -_	 Bike shrunk by popular demand,	      dual ---> !{well,unicom}!ewhac
O----^o	 But it's still the only way to fly.  hplabs / (pronounced "AE-wack")