[comp.sys.amiga] How to go slowly nuts- moving objec

hamilton@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (07/18/87)

kermit isn't supposed to corrupt the files it transfers, the way
xmodem does.  if your kermit is doing so, i'd say it's thoroughly
broke, and i wouldn't trust the result, hunkpad'ed or not.  i'd
even go so far as to suggest downloading with _xmodem_, and then
hunkpad'ing.  but if the problem is in ftp, or at purdue's end,
tough luck.

i have had a couple isolated episodes of a file that just wouldn't
transfer correctly with kermit (c-kermit on our vax, and either
amiga-kermit or vt100 on amiga).  the one time i remember well, i
split the file at the point where it was becoming corrupt, downloaded
the pieces, and reassembled with "join".  probably some boundary
condition error in the kermit code somewhere.  it's so rare i was
never motivated to track it down.

btw, i think hunkpad is also on fish disk 84.  i had assumed it
would be obsolete after arc; nice to see a little life left in it.

	wayne (aka "j w") hamilton
	U of Il and US Army Corps of Engineers CERL
UUCP:	{ihnp4,seismo,pur-ee,convex}!uiucuxc!hamilton
ARPA:	hamilton@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu	USMail:	Box 476, Urbana, IL 61801
CSNET:	hamilton%uxc@uiuc.csnet		Phone:	(217)333-8703
CIS:    [73047,544]			PLink:  w hamilton

In article <172200080@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu>, hamilton@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

> kermit isn't supposed to corrupt the files it transfers, the way
> xmodem does.

Xmodem doesn't corrupt files, it enhances them (right). Kermit can, however.
You have to be careful or you'll lose your eighth bits (not to knock kermit:
after all Xmodem won't even run over a 7-bit line).
--
-- Peter da Silva `-_-' ...!seismo!soma!uhnix1!sugar!peter (I said, NO PHOTOS!)

dpvc@ur-tut.UUCP (Davide P. Cervone) (08/11/87)

In article <417@sugar.UUCP> peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <172200080@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu>, hamilton@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>>
>> kermit isn't supposed to corrupt the files it transfers, the way
>> xmodem does.
>
>Xmodem doesn't corrupt files, it enhances them (right). Kermit can, however.
>You have to be careful or you'll lose your eighth bits (not to knock kermit:
>after all Xmodem won't even run over a 7-bit line).
>--
>-- Peter da Silva `-_-' ...!seismo!soma!uhnix1!sugar!peter (I said, NO PHOTOS!)

I once TRIED to get Kermit to remove the eight bit during a transfer.  I could
get it to do it.  Eighth-bit prefixing took over.  It depends on the
implementation, I guess.  Some Kermits might not implement 8-th bit prefixing.
Anyway, it was a long time ago.  I might have goofed.

Davide P. Cervone
dpvc@tut.cc.rochester.EDU
dpvc@ur-tut.UUCP