[comp.sys.amiga] DF1: format problems.

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (08/07/87)

I've got a very strange problem with my external 3.5" floppy.

I took it over to a friend's house, and after I got it hooked back up to
my system the next day, I discovered that disks formatted in drive DF1:
could not be read in DF0: (and vice versa). A disk formatted in one
floppy reports "DFn: BAD" when it's inserted in the other drive.

The really strange thing is that all of the floppies I've already
formatted can be read or written by BOTH drives without any trouble.

I would suspect that the alignment on my external drive got bumped. But
that should also foul up reads & writes, not just formats. Is it
possible that something inside that Amiga is dying? Any other
suggestions? Diskcopies also are broken, but file copies work fine.

		HELP!!
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland    540 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
UUCP Address:   {ihnp4,ucbvax,decvax,allegra}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne

In article <441@esunix.UUCP> blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
> I've got a very strange problem with my external 3.5" floppy.
>
> I took it over to a friend's house, and after I got it hooked back up to
> my system the next day, I discovered that disks formatted in drive DF1:
> could not be read in DF0: (and vice versa). A disk formatted in one
> floppy reports "DFn: BAD" when it's inserted in the other drive.
>
> The really strange thing is that all of the floppies I've already
> formatted can be read or written by BOTH drives without any trouble.
>
> I would suspect that the alignment on my external drive got bumped. But
> that should also foul up reads & writes, not just formats. Is it
> possible that something inside that Amiga is dying? Any other
> suggestions? Diskcopies also are broken, but file copies work fine.

There's not much in the Amiga that could cause this problem, since the
Amiga makes no distinction between formatting a floppy and normal writing.
I suspect some mechanical mis-alignment just enough that the fringes from
the previous data are letting the other system get a handle on the data,
but it's too far off for a clean disk.  Pretty wierd in my book.