[comp.sys.amiga] Amigas at SIGGRAPH

For the truly faithfull, this was the year of the Amiga at SIGGRAPH. Not
only was is used as a viable creative tool, but vendors were starting to
use them instead of PC's.

These are the examples I saw:

Film and Video Show:
_Dance of the Stumblers_ - By Steve Segal, using Aegis animator rendered in
320 x 200. Looked great on a 50' screen. The program says it was recorded
on 16mm film transferred to 1" NTSC video. Possibly the most inexpensive
film to make ever shown at the SIGGRAPH film and video show. Action
happened so fast, and the screen was so big, that any imperfections
due to aliasing etc. were unnoticeable.

Art Show:
(Sorry, forgot name, dont have program handy) Picture of IC innards,
altered with Dpaint ot some such. Curious, this said "ink jet print",
but if you looked real hard at it, it *sure* looked like a photograph,
complete with scan lines.

On the show floor:
Of course there was the C= booth (I was there 3 days, and it ALWAYS
had more people that the apple booth, heh-heh), but I also saw them
in the Polaroid booth with Liquid Light's palette driver software
There was also one in the CalComp booth, demoing their color printer.

There is absolutly no truth to the rumor that the new $49,000 (with
'C' compiler) P*xar machine is really an A2000 with Mimetics 24 plane
video board, in different packeging. No way. Uh uh. Nope.

Nobody had rendered any bowls of lime jello (tm), and I had heard
a rumor of a "roomfull of Amigas" working on this problem. At P*xar
yet.

--
Richard Sexton
INTERNET:     richard@gryphon.CTS.COM

"It's too dark to put the key in my ignition..."

dleigh@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM (Darren Leigh) (08/13/87)

In article <1196@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:

>Film and Video Show:
>_Dance of the Stumblers_ - By Steve Segal, using Aegis animator rendered in
>320 x 200. Looked great on a 50' screen. The program says it was recorded
>on 16mm film transferred to 1" NTSC video. Possibly the most inexpensive
>film to make ever shown at the SIGGRAPH film and video show. Action
>happened so fast, and the screen was so big, that any imperfections
>due to aliasing etc. were unnoticeable.

I guess love is blind, and you've been hugging your Amiga too long.
"Dance of the Stumblers" was *horribly* aliased.  (Just look at the
picture in the *program*!)  That was the first thing I noticed about
it.  It had so many jaggies that I seriously wondered what it was
doing in the show.  I guess they put it in to show off the animation,
because the rendering was far from impressive.

Looking over the whole show, I saw aliasing in most of the complicated
animation, though nothing nearly so bad as the "Stumblers".  A lot of
what would otherwise be great stuff had changing Moire patterns during
motion, and even some "jaggies".

My favorites were "Red's Dream" (of course) and "Balloon Guy" which I
thought was absolutely incredible.

Darren Leigh
dleigh@hplabs.hp.com