[comp.sys.amiga] Spreading the word

jack@cca.UUCP (08/14/87)

In article <6565@eddie.MIT.EDU> gary@eddie.MIT.EDU (Gary Samad) writes:

>[Aspersions cast upon Mac's inability to walk and chew gum at the same time.
>
>I wonder if Apple is really going to pull the wool over its user's eyes by
>advertising "The new Mac multitasking operating system."
>
>	Gary

There is a group of devoted Mac users here at CCA. They use the Mac mostly
for spreadsheets, text processing and drawing pictures with MacDraw. Not
a single programmer in the bunch. When one of the VPs got wind of my Amiga
purchase she looked at me with a "you must be joking" expression and
asked if I didn't think that the Amiga was a "dead-end" machine. I said
that I didn't of course, resisting the urge to ask "in a technical
sense or in a marketing sense?"

Then there was the recent Time magazine article on the comeback of the
micro industry. Did anyone else notice that, except for the Mac, they
focussed entirely on IBM and clones? Not a single one of the machines
discussed will have multitasking for at least a year. No mention at all
of Amigas or STs.

Commodore really has to do something about their publicity. I've
been doing my part. My cousin, who is a programmer, sat down to play
with my A1000 and in about ten minutes said that he liked it better
than his Macintosh. Maybe there aren't that many people who will spend
$1200+ to program C in their spare time, but it is a good C development
environment (even with 2 floppies!), and there must be a big academic
market. At least part of DECs success is due to all the people who
were raised on DEC machines (PDP-8/m and various PDP-11s in my past)
and who wanted the same when they left school.

Jack Orenstein