[comp.sys.amiga] Video

harald@ccicpg.UUCP ( Harald Milne) (08/08/87)

	I am sorry to say, but VHS stinks by any yardstick. Now that VHS
is supposedly the standard of junk, what's in the future of JUNK? S-VHS.
This great new incompatable format is now being foisted upon the poor
and meager. It is not compatible with HDTV. (Unless you don't care)
It is also not compatible with VHS which JVC promised would be compatible
forever. So much for LIES. Who's going to carry S-VHS movies with VHS
and BETA and 8mm (Sorry no VHS-C falls in this catagory) and Laser disks.
Does any staunch VHSer know that the GRC7 has HQ only in LP to fool you
into thinking for a second that the picture is good as SP? This premier
camcorder came from the think tank of marketing junk. Just read the
Popular Science issue of the candid report of this turd from JVC.
They made this machine to confuse the (I am sorry) consumer Vidiot.
8mm is superior to VHS hands down. Just by being equel in resolution.
Know what resolution is? VHSer's will when they finally get a TV that
can tell the difference. When will we see the day that Video Home
System reaches the Professional Video Recording Studio? Never.
It is Video Home Junk. It will stay that way. Sony only has been in
the business of Professional Video at every TV station since history
has been written. The good stuff trickles down into consumer video
ala SONY.

FLAME ON
	I am sick and tired of wars between VHSHIT and BETA. You want it
get it. Pro VHS magazines doesn't make Beta go away. SONY is not suffering
from lack of sales. Even with the exchange rates. Face it, you are what
you eat.

	The bottom line is what every kid on the block knows

Sony no balony!

Sorry VHSer's

FLAME OFF

--
UUCP:	uunet!ccicpg!harald

randy@chinet.UUCP (Randy Suess) (08/09/87)

In article <1782@ccicpg.UUCP> harald@ccicpg.UUCP ( Harald Milne) writes:
]
]	I am sorry to say, but VHS stinks by any yardstick. Now that VHS
]is supposedly the standard of junk, what's in the future of JUNK? S-VHS.

]This premier
]camcorder came from the think tank of marketing junk.

]candid report of this turd from JVC.

]They made this machine to confuse the (I am sorry) consumer Vidiot.

]It is Video Home Junk. It will stay that way.

]I am sick and tired of wars between VHSHIT and BETA.

]Face it, you are what
]you eat.

	Who is this guy?  A relative of Bob Webbers?

--
that's the biz, sweetheart.....
Randy Suess

webber@brandx.rutgers.edu (Webber) (08/09/87)

In article <1392@chinet.UUCP>, randy@chinet.UUCP (Randy Suess) writes:
> In article <1782@ccicpg.UUCP> harald@ccicpg.UUCP ( Harald Milne) writes:
> ]
> ]	I am sorry to say, but VHS stinks by any yardstick. Now that VHS
> ]is supposedly the standard of junk, what's in the future of JUNK? S-VHS....
> 	Who is this guy?  A relative of Bob Webbers?

Nope.  No relation at all.

I am quite happy with the 240 lines of color video resolution that VHS
delivers.  It seems quite appropriate to the current state of the film
industry.  I also find it particularly amusing that VCRs make sharper
b&w pictures than color, automatically taking into account the higher
quality of the older b&w movies over the more recent drek coming out
of hollywood (if it weren't for the special effects, there would be no
effects at all).

------ BOB (webber@aramis.rutgers.edu ; rutgers!aramis.rutgers.edu!webber)

rab@well.UUCP (Bob Bickford) (08/09/87)

[foo!]

  Agreed that VHS is trashy video.  Beta is also trash (being just
barely better than VHS).  But the sad fact is that VHS far outsells
Beta.  Oh well.

  (Me?  I use LazerDisks, and U-Matic tapes.)

--
  Robert Bickford                 {hplabs, ucbvax, lll-lcc, ptsfa}!well!rab
/-------------------------------------v-------------------------------------\

brown@nicmad.UUCP (Mr. Video) (08/09/87)

In article <1782@ccicpg.UUCP> harald@ccicpg.UUCP ( Harald Milne) writes:
< [ ... ] S-VHS.
<This great new incompatable format is now being foisted upon the poor
<and meager. It is not compatible with HDTV. (Unless you don't care)
<It is also not compatible with VHS which JVC promised would be compatible
<forever.

Mild torch!!

Open mouth, insert foot.  I noticed how you didn't say that the Beta camp also
has incompatible format problems as well.  At least VHS held out a little
longer.  Beta has BI and BIs that tends not to be playable on ALL beta machines.
I understand that SuperBeta has problems playing on other Beta machines.
Also, Beta's answer to S-VHS is ED-Beta, also incompatible with other Beta
machines.

So don't tell me who the Hell is incompatible.

Torch off
--
	 harvard-\     ihnp4--\
Mr. Video   seismo!uwvax.......!nicmad!brown

In article <3711@well.UUCP> rab@well.UUCP (Bob Bickford) writes:
>  Agreed that VHS is trashy video.  Beta is also trash (being just
>barely better than VHS).  But the sad fact is that VHS far outsells
>Beta.  Oh well.

	You can blame Magnavox for this.  Sony established Beta with the
Betamax.  Then this idiot company called Magnavox comes along and creates a
new, inferior standard.  The market is split, and we all suffer.

	Pioneer comes out with a videodisk standard.  Then this idiot
company called Magnavox comes along and creates a totally different,
probably inferior, definitely less-controllable, standard.  The market is
split, and we all suffer.  Fortunately, Magnavox ate it big with this one.

	By the way, why is this in comp.sys.amiga?  We don't have video wars
here, we have Amiga/Apple/Atari/Timex wars here.  Let us know if Atari comes
out with a VCR; we'll talk..... :-)

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	ihnp4!ptsfa -\
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	      dual ---> !{well,unicom}!ewhac

cheung@vu-vlsi.UUCP (Wilson Cheung) (08/10/87)

> Open mouth, insert foot.  I noticed how you didn't say that the Beta camp also
> has incompatible format problems as well.  At least VHS held out a little
> longer.  Beta has BI and BIs that tends not to be playable on ALL beta machines.
> I understand that SuperBeta has problems playing on other Beta machines.
> Also, Beta's answer to S-VHS is ED-Beta, also incompatible with other Beta
> machines.

 was expecting to read material on the Amiga.  Instead at least half of what
I have been reading has been on VCRs or computers wars between the ST and
Amiga.  What's going to be next comparisons of AM stereo versus FM stero?
                              Wilson Cheung

robertl@bucsb.bu.edu.UUCP (Robert La Ferla) (08/12/87)

LaserDisc's FOREVER!!!!

-Rob-

alastair@geovision.UUCP (Alastair Mayer) (08/14/87)

In article <1782@ccicpg.UUCP> harald@ccicpg.UUCP ( Harald Milne) writes:

>	I am sorry to say, but VHS stinks by any yardstick. Now that VHS
>is supposedly the standard of junk, what's in the future of JUNK? S-VHS.
>This great new incompatable format is now being foisted upon the poor
>and meager. It is not compatible with HDTV. (Unless you don't care)
>It is also not compatible with VHS which JVC promised would be compatible

S-VHS machines will play (and, I think, record) VHS, I'd call that compatible.
Sure, old VHS machines won't play S-VHS.  Old Beta and VHS machines aren't
hi-fi or stereo, either.  The point, presumably, is that your software
investment (ie videotape library) isn't rendered obsolete by the new (S-VHS)
machines.

> [ 30 more lines of flames on VHS, and some nice words about Sony and Beta ]

Neither system is perfect.  VHS had some things going for it before Sony
realized it's precious market position was at risk and started upgrading
the Beta technology.  But, buried in the flames were a valid point or two.
So what, the market has made its choice, with the less-than-inifinite
wisdom the market generally shows.  If we want something better we'll have
to wait for DVT - digital video tape - or somesuch.

  Your flaming strikes me as the rantings of someone who bought a Beta
machine and now is PO'd because of the hard time finding Beta software.
Lighten up, eh?
--
 Alastair JW Mayer     BIX: al
                      UUCP: ...!utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!cognos!geovision!alastair

Let's build a base on the Moon on our way to the asteroids - forget Mars.