[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga Programmers Guide

mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (08/11/87)

slc@hoptoad.uucp (Steve Costa) writes:

> One of my standard reference guides is Mortimore's "AMIGA Programmers
> Handbook", published by Sybex. The version I have is in one volume; I have
> recently seen, on Abel Supply's price list, a listing for volumes 1 and 2
> of this handbook.
>
> Is anyone familiar with this (apparently new) edition? Does it cover WB
> 1.2? What does it add that wasn't in the first edition?

I have the second edition of the "Amiga Programmer's Guide" Volume 1.
It is updated to include changes made for 1.2.  I'm not sure what
other changes were made.  Volume 1 covers the Exec, the graphics
libraries, and Intuition.  Volume 2 deals more with DOS-type things
and I/O in general.  Both volumes are good guides that list each major
system call alphabetically with a guide to its parameters, and an
explanation of how the command works and its relation to the other
calls in the system.  It's recommended for "learning while hacking",
but trying to learn from this book alone could be tedious, since the
calls are listed in alphabetical order instead of functional groupings.

				--M

--

Mike Portuesi / Carnegie-Mellon University Computer Science Department
ARPA:	mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu	UUCP: {backbone-site}!spice.cs.cmu.edu!mjp

"that you were ever tempted by the lie...that there's an answer in the sky"
		--Echo and the Bunnymen, "Never Stop"

rap@dana.UUCP (Rob Peck) (08/12/87)

In article <1258@spice.cs.cmu.edu>, mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) writes:

> I have the second edition of the "Amiga Programmer's Guide" Volume 1.
> It is updated to include changes made for 1.2.  I'm not sure what
> other changes were made.  Volume 1 covers the Exec, the graphics
> libraries, and Intuition.  Volume 2 deals more with DOS-type things
> and I/O in general.  Both volumes are good guides that list each major
> system call alphabetically with a guide to its parameters, and an
> explanation of how the command works and its relation to the other
> calls in the system.  It's recommended for "learning while hacking",
> but trying to learn from this book alone could be tedious, since the
> calls are listed in alphabetical order instead of functional groupings.
>
> 				--M

Just a quick correction to the title mentioned by Mike:  Mortimore's
book is called the Amiga Programmer's Handbook, not the title shown.

The Programmers' Guide To The Amiga, also a SYBEX book, is mine.
Instead of being a complete alphabetical list of functions, it is
instead grouped by function, with examples built up into tested,
functional programs (also available on disk).   Folks who have used
it have found it to be helpful (so they tell me).  It was published
in January 87 and has been available at B.Dalton's, and some computer
stores.

Sorry if it sounded commercial, but some of those new to the net
need real examples that do a programmers' intro to the machine and
I just though those folk should know the book exists.

I may eventually put together a Volume II of the Programmer's Guide,
but not sure yet if there'd be enough interest to make my publisher
want to take the risk.  (This one would concentrate heavily on
animation, sound and multi-tasking).

Rob Peck                  ...ihnp4!hlabs!dana!rap

vanam@pttesac.UUCP (Marnix van Ammers) (08/15/87)

In article <209@dana.UUCP> rap@dana.UUCP (Rob Peck) writes:
>The Programmers' Guide To The Amiga, also a SYBEX book, is mine.
>Instead of being a complete alphabetical list of functions, it is
>instead grouped by function, with examples built up into tested,
>functional programs (also available on disk).   Folks who have used
                                        ^^^^

I think Rob Peck's book is the best I've seen on the Amiga.  Would
someone please tell me how I can get this disk containing the
example programs shown in the book?  Is there somewhere I can
call that will accept a credit card order?

I've already tried sending mail to Rob Peck, but no luck.

Thanks,

Marnix
---