[comp.sys.amiga] A comment on certain recent happenings...

lishka@uwslh.UUCP (Christopher Lishka) (08/13/87)

[Various growling and large, ferocious animal sounds here!]

Ooooohhhh!  I just finished reading Leo Schwab's final reply on his
animation of one [not named] large graphics corporation, and I am
REALLY TRYING TO HOLD BACK MY FEELINGS, but it ain't working to well
(emotions run deep in my family blood).  If I said what I feel right
now, thousands of virgin and non-virgin eyes would explode right out of
their sockets.  But I will restrain my typing fingers, and will NOT
[hopefully] proceed to flame an unnamed large graphics corporation.
But hell, I feel really p*ssed *ff, because that demo must have REALLY
been good to stir up so much amazing reaction in one unnamed large
graphics corporation.  It must've been so d*mned good that it put
their equipment down a few notches in their eyes.  I hope some
executive types have year-long guilt trips over this.

However, to turn my emotions to the constructive side.  If this demo
was that good, if this demo caused this much trouble, if this demo
showed so well what the power of the Amiga really is...why doesn't
someone (maybe Leo) come up with a demo *JUST*AS*GOOD* with a
*TOTALLY*ORIGINAL*IDEA* and start *WIDELY*DISTRIBUTING*IT* all around
the entire world.  To get good ideas we could correspond via email or
the net, and pool our collective thoughts.  The idea must include
*NOTHING* that has appeared as computer animated video ever before! (I
guess some people have learned lessons about stepping on big
corporations' toes).  But, if this demo is as good as Leo's previous
demo, it may just sell many many more Amigas, *IF* it is properly
distributed.  COMMODORE, ARE YOU LISTENING?  [And boy, the demo would
also sell a lot of Videoscape3D's...Aegis, are YOU listening?].  I
would volunteer to do the work, but I have not any Amiga!  [Yeah!  I'm
so mad and I don't even OWN one of the machines! (Although I wish I did!)]

Actually, I have a feeling that the killer demo contest will solve
this problem, and I have a hunch that maybe someone, somewhere, is
going to come up with one really amazing short, continual-loop video
that blows a lot of people away!  Just a thought...

Finally, although I was no way involved in any of this (except posting
a few comments), I would like to thank Leo Schwab for creating a demo
that was SO good that it can't even be shown.  Like many others have
previously stated in this group, it reflects properly on an unnamed
graphics corporation.  Keep up the good work!

[I hope I didn't get too mad above; please excuse any comments that
seem to be out of line or intended to flame a certain unnamed graphics
corporation.  I really don't dislike them; in fact, I think they are
doing a fine job.  But I think this situation which has come into
existence is a little bit absurd.]

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Leo Schwab, a certain unnamed
graphics corporation, or any other graphics-related industry.  My
views are my own, and do not reflect in any way the views of the above
mentioned parties...any similarity is pure coincidence.  Furthermore,
my views are not representative of the views of my employer.  My views
may, however, be similar to those of my Cockatiels.

[Now, I really wish I could get out to FAUG to see the demo, but
Wisconsin is a looooooooonnnnnnnggggg ways away ;-) ]

					-Chris
--
Chris Lishka                    /lishka@uwslh.uucp
Wisconsin State Lab of Hygiene <-lishka%uwslh.uucp@rsch.wisc.edu

czei@osupyr.UUCP (Michael S Czeiszperger) (08/16/87)

In article <251@uwslh.UUCP> lishka@uwslh.UUCP (Christopher Lishka) writes:

>[hopefully] proceed to flame an unnamed large graphics corporation.
>But hell, I feel really p*ssed *ff, because that demo must have REALLY
>been good to stir up so much amazing reaction in one unnamed large
>graphics corporation.  It must've been so d*mned good that it put
>their equipment down a few notches in their eyes.  I hope some
>executive types have year-long guilt trips over this.

I sincerely believe in the idea that anyone can buy an Amiga and produce
a valid piece of art (like Dance of the Tumblers), but imagining the
companies producing multi-mega buck machines are jealous is taking it a
bit too far.  Pixar is serious company trying to make a professional
product.  They spent 6 months making a promotional tape for their
company, and took the time to copywrite certain visible objects.  If
Leo had done his animation using Mickey Mouse or any other copywrited
character, the reaction would have been the same.  Just because Pixar is
large and successful is no reason to read in emotion attached to their
actions.  I am quite sure if Leo had ripped off a guy working out of his
garage the reaction on this board would have been quite different.

Michael S. Czeiszperger           | Disclaimer: "Sorry, I'm all out of pith"
Sound Synthesis Studios           | Snail: Room 406 Baker     Phone: (614)
College of the Arts Computer Lab  |        1971 Neil Avenue            292-
The Ohio State University         |        Columbus, OH 43210           0895
UUCP : {decvax,ucbvax}!cbosgd!osupyr!czei