[comp.sys.amiga] The Starboard by Microbotics

hrlaser@pnet02.CTS.COM (Harv Laser) (08/10/87)

Regarding previous posts concerning the Starboard2 mfd' by Microbotics.
It's always disheartening to read these tales of woe. However lest
anyone get the impression that there is something inherently wrong
with the Starboard, I can only offer this:

I bought my Amiga on 7 Oct 85, literally one of the first half dozen
people to take possession of an Amiga in Southern California.

(Thus, it's an "old" machine as such things go).

I got a Starboard2, fully populated to 2 megs from Abel Supply in
Tennessee in February, 1987. Abel used their own chips of an origin
unknown to me and populated the board and shipped it to me ready to
go.

The jackscrews were in the box with the Starboard, the original
Microbotics marked box (which had 512K checked off on the end panel
sticker).

I read the instructions, I installed the Starboard on my Amiga, I
tightened in the jackscrews, I powered her up and everything worked
perfectly. Everything HAS been working perfectly since the day the
Starboard was installed. I've never called Microbotics since I've had
no reason to.

[Realize that I am knocking on wood every couple of words here but] The
Starboard2 as I received it has worked flawlessly for me, and I've
recommended it to many many Amiga owners.  Just wanted to put in my
$0.02 as a satisfied Starboard2 owner.

Harv
UUCP: {ihnp4!crash, hplabs!hp-sdd!crash}!gryphon!pnet02!hrlaser
INET: hrlaser@pnet02.CTS.COM               PeopleLink: CBM*HARV
"I know this and I know that and when it's cold I wear a hat"  P. Station

prm@usl (Patrick Royce Michaud) (08/17/87)

In article <1165@gryphon.CTS.COM> hrlaser@pnet02.CTS.COM (Harv Laser) writes:

>Regarding previous posts concerning the Starboard2 mfd' by Microbotics.
>It's always disheartening to read these tales of woe. However lest
>anyone get the impression that there is something inherently wrong
>with the Starboard, I can only offer this:
>
>		[miscellaneous stuff deleted]
>
>[Realize that I am knocking on wood every couple of words here but] The
>Starboard2 as I received it has worked flawlessly for me, and I've
>recommended it to many many Amiga owners.  Just wanted to put in my
>$0.02 as a satisfied Starboard2 owner.

As I tried to state in my message: I am highly pleased with the Starboard
2 itself--it has been a wonderful companion to my Amy since I received
it in working order. My message was a reply to several people who inquired
about the memory expansion problems I had had; it was meant to criticize
the company's handling of my specific problems, and not to criticize
the Starboard 2 itself (which I myself am pleased with).

At any rate, I'm glad to hear that your Starboard was successful on its
first try--I sincerely hope that other people have shared your luck.

No flames, please -- this message is just meant as a clarification.

Patrick R. Michaud
USL NASA Project Member
"my opinions are my own"
ut-sally!usl!prm