[comp.sys.amiga] CAOS != AmigaDOS

bryce@COGSCI.BERKELEY.EDU.UUCP (08/18/87)

In article <2225@cbmvax.UUCP> grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:

>Oops, avoid confusion. CAOS is the original operating system specification that
>didn't come to pass.  It shouldn't be confused with exec or the AmigaDOS that
>was completed.

Thanks for the interresting information.  I've always wondered what to call
the "Amiga Operating System".  In fact, I'm still wondering.  Lots of people
have used lots of terms for lack of a clear standard...
"AmigaDOS" is unacceptable for several reasons:
	1> AmigaDOS is a well defined, *very* separate part of the OS, so
	   it is not a good blanket term.
	2> The OS contains a lot more than the term "Disk Operating System"
           (DOS) implies.  Or, to interpret DOS in another light:  It's not
	   strictly loaded from disk.
Calling it the "Amiga Operating System" is too awkward, "exec" is too generic,
"AOS" works... but there is no "ring" to that.

"CAOS" would work just fine... It's short, concise, it "scans".  Great...
but apparently that has a distinct (?extinct?) meaning.

So, how about it everyone!  When I talk about the whole collection of dos,
intuition, graphics, exec, mathieeedoubbas, diskfont, etc.  *what* am I
talking about?
( I'll add it *and/or* "CAOS" to my Glossary and be over with the issue.
What is the definitive answer...  Amiga Developers?  Commodore People?
Backseat Computerists?  Vindictive Atari Loyalists?  Vindictive Coleco Adam
Loyalists?  Drug-crazed frothing nutcakes?  Drug-crazed frothing television
evangelists? )

  _
 /|\   . Ack! (NAK, EOT, SOH)
{O o} .