[comp.sys.amiga] Have you seen the new...

lachac@topaz.rutgers.edu (Gerard Lachac) (08/06/87)

I guess nobody has received their new Amiga Worlds yet.  Two interesting ads
caught my eye.

The first (and probably least important to most) was the ad for Power Windows
Version 2.0.  For those of you who have never heard of the product, it is a
programming aid that let's you set up windows and menus graphicly, and then
generates the C or Assem. source.  However, the new version also generates
Modula-2 as well as allowing you to set up gadgets from IFF brushes.  Sounds
like a killer utility to me.  Made by Inovatronics Inc.  $89.95

Second and probably creating the most controversy is Lattice 4.0  The ad
has a little comparison chart to Manx:

		Lattice 4.0	|	Manx 3.40
	------------------------|-------------------------
Dhrystone	1294 per sec.	|   1010 per sec.

Float		22.20 secs	|   98.85 secs		(IEEE format)
		10.16 secs 	|   17.60 secs		(FFP format)

Savage		47.67 secs	|   119.6 secs
(IEEE)		.000000318	|   .000109		(accuracy)

All I could say was WOW!  I could be lucky I haven't placed my order for a
C compiler yet.  The ad was pretty impressive.

Ok, any beta tester out there of either of these two??
Any suggestions, warnings, etc.

--
		"Truth is false and logic lost..."
					- Neil Peart

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (08/06/87)

In article <13738@topaz.rutgers.edu> lachac@topaz.rutgers.edu (Gerard Lachac) writes:
>		Lattice 4.0	|	Manx 3.40
>	------------------------|-------------------------
>Dhrystone	1294 per sec.	|   1010 per sec.
>etc...

I saw this ad too.  It did not state which INT size were used, whether
optimization was used, etc.  I always take benchmarks with a grain of
salt because there are so many compiler parameters that can be tweaked.

Has anyone measured the compile speed of these compilers.  I have the
Aztec compiler and it seems to be faster than pcc.

--
--  Sean Casey                    sean@ms.uky.edu,    {uunet,cbosgd}!ukma!sean
--                                sean@ms.uky.csnet,  sean@UKMA.BITNET

page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (08/06/87)

Looks like Lattice/SAS got their global optimizer working.  I wonder
if it takes 33% longer to compile now.

Power Windows 2.0 looks pretty HOT!

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.   page@ulowell.{uucp,edu,csnet}

scott@applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) (08/07/87)

In article <13738@topaz.rutgers.edu> lachac@topaz.rutgers.edu (Gerard Lachac) writes:
>		Lattice 4.0	|	Manx 3.40
>	------------------------|-------------------------
>Dhrystone	1294 per sec.	|   1010 per sec.

Is this the same issue with the Lattice ad that says:
"Lattice C has long been recognized as the best C compiler."

and the Manx ad that says:
"The new Manx Aztec C is the most powerful and professional C development
system in ... the universe."

?  Yes, I saw those ads.

-scott

My Manx 3.4a 16bits/noregs on 68010 dhrys at 909, hmmm.

mark@unisec.usi.com (Mark Rinfret) (08/08/87)

In article <13738@topaz.rutgers.edu>, lachac@topaz.rutgers.edu (Gerard Lachac) writes:

> I guess nobody has received their new Amiga Worlds yet.  Two interesting ads
> caught my eye.
>
> The first (and probably least important to most) was the ad for Power Windows
> Version 2.0.  For those of you who have never heard of the product, it is a
> programming aid that let's you set up windows and menus graphicly, and then
> generates the C or Assem. source.  However, the new version also generates
> Modula-2 as well as allowing you to set up gadgets from IFF brushes.  Sounds
> like a killer utility to me.  Made by Inovatronics Inc.  $89.95

  ...more on Lattice 4.0...

> 					- Neil Peart

I just got Power Windows 1.1 and Marauder II from Go Amigo!  Now that I know
version 2.0 is out, I'm pissed!  Power Windows 1.1 is a great disappointment
to me, though it is probably more useful than hand-coding.  I have a
public-domain menu editor that has a better user interface.  Proportional
gadgets aren't supported at all, and there's no ability to interact with
your new gadgets until you write out the source and run a short test program
(supplied).  Also missing is an image editor.  I also wish there was a
numeric readout for window and gadget sizes.  The documentation is a very
skinny 5x7" 11 page booklet with tiny print, no illustrations.  I expected
a lot more for the list price of $89.95 (actually paid $64).  I'll be writing
to Inovatronics...

Right now, I have two software packages that are copy protected, both
Electronic Arts (DPaint II and DMCS).  EA wants $20 each for non-protected
versions.  Well, says I, I can get Marauder II for $30 and if it works,
save $10 and have a useful addition to my toolbox as well.  It works!
Though I had to boot my system without my Pal Jr. in order to get it to
work, it performed flawlessly on both disks.  Ahhh...no more "key disk"
crap from my favorite toys!  There are also a couple of other utilities
on the Marauder II disk which might come in handy, though I haven't tied
them yet.  Unfortunately, programs like this can be severely misused, but
they can prove quite useful to the honest user, also.  I'm quite pleased.

Mark

--
| Mark R. Rinfret, SofTech, Inc.		mark@unisec.usi.com |
| Guest of UniSecure Systems, Inc., Newport, RI                     |

rap@dana.UUCP (Rob Peck) (08/10/87)

In article <1035@unisec.usi.com>, mark@unisec.usi.com (Mark Rinfret) writes:

> I just got Power Windows 1.1 and Marauder II from Go Amigo!  Now that I know
> version 2.0 is out, I'm pissed!  Power Windows 1.1 is a great disappointment
> to me, though it is probably more useful than hand-coding.  I have a
>
> Mark

I have spent a few hours working with version 1.3 of Power Windows.
The documentation is as Mark described, which is to say, nearly non-
existent.  But it does indeed beat hand coding.  In 1.3, there is
still no support for Prop gadgets, and still no image editor and so
on.  In fact, from his description, I don't know that I could tell
the difference between a 1.1 and a 1.3 release.

I sent in the registration card about 8 weeks ago, along with a
"please tell me when the upgrades become available".  No response
yet, so I am surprised to hear about advertising re 2.0 availability.
Power Windows is, I believe, a good idea.  If I had had the time,
I'da put out a similar package, but of course with considerably
better documentation.  Basically I encourage them - we all could
use a well executed tool of this kind.  Hoping they respond
appropriately - for $89.95 (which I paid, in full), I must say
I expected more.   By the way, the source that 1.3 produces
had a couple of errors that made me modify my Manx include
files - if I remember correctly, in some of the Intuition
structures, there are now UBYTE * in place of CHAR * - sorry,
its been a while.   Just try to compile their output under
Manx and you'll find out what I mean.  Tiny nit, but you gotta
fix it.

Rob Peck		...ihnp4!hplabs!dana!rap

rap@dana.UUCP (Rob Peck) (08/12/87)

In article <206@dana.UUCP>, rap@dana.UUCP (Rob Peck) writes:

> I sent in the registration card about 8 weeks ago, along with a
> "please tell me when the upgrades become available".  No response
> yet, so I am surprised to hear about advertising re 2.0 availability.

Following up my own posting... I was rambling through my desk today
and found that I had PREPARED the registration card for mailing
but for lack of a stamp, I had apparently left it in my desk at
work.  So I must apologize to them for the previous remark, since
they obviously don't know I own the product.  So I'll just have
to mail the card today.  Yes, I will - thats the ticket!  (Where ARE
those stamps?!!!!)

We'll see what kind of response I do get from them, after all.

Rob Peck		(sigh)

adamsd@crash.CTS.COM (Adams Douglas) (08/12/87)

Rob made me think of a point I've wondered about for awhile now. I got
PowerWindows about two months ago (1.2, I believe). I used it for
about a day then went back to my usual method of editing a standard
skeleton file every time I need to create menus, requesters, etc. With
a good macro facility, it strikes me that only an extremely
sophisticated on-screen gadget editor could replace direct coding
using a skeleton structure you're familiar with.

I also _hate_ PW's adding comments after every parameter in every menu
and gadget declaration.

Anybody else want to comment on their methods?

Adams Douglas	ARPA:crash!adamsd@nosc.mil  AT&T:818-354-3076 <work>
DSN/JPL/NASA	UUCP:{cbosgd | hplabs!hp-sdd | sdcsvax | nosc}!crash!adamsd
		Internet: adamsd@crash.CTS.COM

My opinions! Do you hear? MINE! Not JPL's.

"Do not be angry with me if I tell you the truth." -- Socrates
"Tell the Truth and run."--Yugoslav proverb

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (08/13/87)

In article <1518@crash.CTS.COM> adamsd@crash.CTS.COM (Adams Douglas) writes:

>I used it for about a day then went back to my usual method of editing
>a standard skeleton file every time I need to create menus, requesters, etc.

>Anybody else want to comment on their methods?

This is pretty close to my current method...I use Emacs and a number
of emacs macros, which I keep meaning to recode into C.
(things like, make me a 10 gadget chain, etc)

(Though, I haven't tried Power Windows 2.0 ...)

For gadget images I design them using the icon editor (or DPaint)
then use the icon2c program (by Carolyn Scheppner) to get them
into image structures for inclusion in my program.
--
andy finkel		{ihnp4|seismo|allegra}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"The goal of Computer Science is to build something that will last at
least until we've finished building it."

hobie@sq.UUCP (08/14/87)

Rob Peck (rap@dana.UUCP) writes:
>In article <1035@unisec.usi.com>, mark@unisec.usi.com (Mark Rinfret) writes:
>>
>> I just got Power Windows 1.1 and Marauder II from Go Amigo!  Now that I know
>> version 2.0 is out, I'm pissed!  Power Windows 1.1 is a great disappointment
>> to me, though it is probably more useful than hand-coding.  I have a
>
>I sent in the registration card about 8 weeks ago, along with a
>"please tell me when the upgrades become available".  No response
>yet, so I am surprised to hear about advertising re 2.0 availability.
>
>Rob Peck		...ihnp4!hplabs!dana!rap

	I received notification of PW 2.0 from Inovatronics about 4 weeks ago
including an order form to upgrade from my 1.1 to 2.0 for US $22.50.  I sent
it in about 2 weeks ago and am waiting for the new one to arrive. I believe
that the announcement said (I sent it back with my VISA # on it) that you
can now make requesters with it, which is what made me want to get it, since
I put gadgets in requesters but not in windows (which is what 1.1 was useful
for).
 Hobie Orris			 	| There's a brain on the table,
 guest of SoftQuad Inc., Toronto, Ont.	| There's a heart in the chair,
 {ihnp4 | decvax | ? }!utzoo!sq!hobie	| And they all live in Jesus
					| It's a family affair. - B.E.

csb@cullvax.UUCP (Craig Brown) (08/16/87)

I have been beta testing Power Windows V2.0 for the last couple of weeks.
It really is a helpful product.

As with V1.0 , Power Windows V 2.0 allows you to create windows and
menus by drawing them on the screen.  It then generates the source
code (that you then include in your own program).  As a test of my
limited Midi knowledge, I built a program that controlled my Casio CZ1
synth. I used Power Windows to quickly generate a menu of 80+ items
(which was over 1000 lines of source code). This saved me a tremendous
amount of time.

New features of V2.0 include the ability to define multiple screens
and windows, Yes, You can also specify what kind of screen you would like to
use and have Power Windows generate the correct structures.

Another "interesting" feature is what I call "steal a window". Power
Windows will present you with a list of all opened windows. You tell
it which one you want and it will make an exact copy of it (including
information such as menus and gadgets). You then tell it to generate
source code.

The final release of Power Windows will have the ability to generate
Modula-2 code.

I'll post more information when I have a little more time to play with
the product.

Craig

### Usual Disclaimer

hobie@sq.UUCP (08/18/87)

Andy Finkel (andy@cbmvax.UUCP) writes:
>In article <1518@crash.CTS.COM> adamsd@crash.CTS.COM (Adams Douglas) writes:
>
>>I used it for about a day then went back to my usual method of editing
>>a standard skeleton file every time I need to create menus, requesters, etc.
>
>>Anybody else want to comment on their methods?
>
>This is pretty close to my current method...I use Emacs and a number
>of emacs macros, which I keep meaning to recode into C.

	Though I don't use PW a lot, I find it has its uses.  Designing menus
is simple-minded enough of a process for PW to automate effectively.  After all
who wants to calculate those little offsets for sub-menus, and figure out how
many pixels wide menu bars should be?   I also used it once to create a
32-colour palette.  I sure would have hated to type in the specs for 32 little
box gadgets when I can create one with PW and then clone it 31 times.  I hope
to have my PW 2.0 in a couple of weeks (mailed for it 2 weeks ago) and I will
review it if anyone's interested.

 Hobie Orris			 	|
 guest of SoftQuad Inc., Toronto, Ont.	|"There'll be no more giant leeches
 {ihnp4 | decvax | ? }!utzoo!sq!hobie	| When you find the good Lord Jesus"