[comp.sys.amiga] GENLOCK Keying

thornton@ssc-vax.UUCP (08/17/87)

Hello Amigans.

I'm thinking about taking the plunge, but have a question about
GENLOCK Keying. This is one feature that I don't fully understand
about this machine and want to figure out before I buy.

I want to overlay real images onto computer generated ones. I believe
the GENLOCK drops picture areas on the basis of color. This is a
bit primitive for me. I want to drop portions of the video signal
instead (i.e. shoot a picture of a person and drop everything except
the person, then place that person in my computer generated scene).

I may just have to digitize the real image and extract the features
I'm interested in, enter a "video editer", and place those features
in my artificial scene. I may also want to construct a 3D model of
my extracted feature (i.e. person), so that I can play with it.

Does anyone know of any software to do this? Does anyone know of
any other more-advanced GENLOCK units that can drop spatial areas
of a picture rather than areas based on color?

Ken

--
     /\
  /\/  \/\

ralph@lzfme.UUCP (R.BRANDI) (08/19/87)

In article <886@ssc-bee.ssc-vax.UUCP>, thornton@ssc-vax.UUCP (Ken Thornton) writes:
> Hello Amigans.
> (stuff...)
> I want to overlay real images onto computer generated ones. I believe
> the GENLOCK drops picture areas on the basis of color. This is a
> bit primitive for me. I want to drop portions of the video signal
> instead (i.e. shoot a picture of a person and drop everything except
> the person, then place that person in my computer generated scene).

I believe that you have a faulty understanding of what the GENLOCK
can do.  GENLOCK drops the background color on the *computer* image,
not on the video image that it imports.  Because of this, you can
overlay computer-generated images onto video, but not the other way
around.  There is a device that does the opposite; it is called
Chroma-Key.  This subtracts out a given color (usually blue, or less
commonly, green) and places what remains on the background.  This is
what you would need to place a picture of someone or something
*over* a computer-generated scene.  Supposedly, there are or will be
Chroma-keys available for the Amiga in the near future, but I don't
have any of the details.  Note that to do this, you would probably
have to shoot your subject in front of a "Chroma-key screen", or a
plain blue background, evenly lit.

> I may just have to digitize the real image and extract the features
> I'm interested in, enter a "video editer", and place those features
> in my artificial scene. I may also want to construct a 3D model of
> my extracted feature (i.e. person), so that I can play with it.

Digitizing the real image may be another way to do this without the
Chroma-key.  This also offers the advantage of being able to shoot
your subject in front of any background.  It is, however, *very*
time consuming.

    ====      | Disclaimer: Just `cuz I work on the Death Star,
 ==OOO=====   | That doesn't mean I speak for Darth Vader...
=OOOOOOO====  | Ralph Brandi, {ihnp4,mhuxt}!homxb!mtuxo!lzfme!ralph