[comp.sys.amiga] Neat Bard'sTale trick

oconnor@sunray.steinmetz (Dennis Oconnor) (08/18/87)

This is such a neat trick, I've got to pass it on ...
When you leave the BARDSTALE game, you get a CLI. This gives you some
useful capability in SPITE of the BL**DY COPY-PROTECTION...

So, execute the following algorithm :
( CAVEAT : I've done this on my A500 w/A501 + External-Drive; on other
systems ( especially systems with less than 1Meg of RAM ), who knows? )

1. Boot Bardstale in DF0 :
2. Leave the game
3. Stick a workbench with FACC and NEWCLI on it into DF1:
    ( On my workbench FACC is in :system/facc, NEWCLI is in :c/newcli )
4. type "DF1:c/newcli" followed (of course) by <RETURN>.
    CLI-2 should pop up. Resize/move the two CLI's to taste.
5. click into CLI-2.
6. type "DF1:system/facc" followed (of course) by <RETURN>.
7. FACC will appear. Increase the number of buffers but don't go too far.
     ( I've found that 512 buffers is safe, but 880 is NOT. )
8. Click on the ORIGINAL CLI.
9. Type "bardstale". You will soon have "Bard's Tale" and FACC. The
increase in user enjoyment is substantial. Decreases drive wear also.

Kudos to C-A for TRUE MULTI-TASKING.
Kudos to ASDG for FACC.
Kudos to IP and EA for BARD'S TALE.
Kudos to Discovery International for MARAUDER II, as now that my
      original (legal) B's-T disk has gone totally SOUTH, ...

What other copy-protected games can FACC accelerate? Try it.

Statement of (useful) position : I will NOT pirate software, and I
will NOT buy copy-protected software until it is included in the
Marauder-II brain-files ( I have brain-8 ). A harddisk could change this.

--
	Dennis O'Connor 	oconnor@sungoddess.steinmetz.UUCP ??
				ARPA: OCONNORDM@ge-crd.arpa

bryce@COGSCI.BERKELEY.EDU (Bryce Nesbitt) (08/19/87)

In article <> oconnor@sunray.steinmetz.UUCP (Dennis Oconnor) writes:

>This is such a neat trick, I've got to pass it on ...
>When you leave the BARDSTALE game, you get a CLI. This gives you some
>useful capability in SPITE of the BL**DY COPY-PROTECTION...
>
>1. Boot Bardstale in DF0 :
>2. Leave the game  [you are now in the CLI]

Why not just edit bardstale's startup-sequence file?  Change it:

-from-
bardstale
-to-
run bardstale

Then add "run" to the command directory (copy c:run to bardstale:c)

Bard's Tale leaves the Workbench open with a full CLI.  Since that CLI
is running Bard's tale, you can't multitask.  By adding the run everything
is fixed.
(Except the brain-dead "I hate fast memory".  You will probably need
"nofastmem" to turn off your fast memory.)
(Except for the copy-protection.  Crashes if it can't find it.  If only it
would take a preliminary look and say "hey, where's the disk??" then try
and find the protection.  Twice or more to get the same security without
the "leak" of the requester code (that code would be easy to spot))

-----
|\ /|  . Ack! (NAK, EOT, SOH)
{o O} .
( " )	bryce@cogsci.berkeley.EDU -or- ucbvax!cogsci!bryce
  U	"Success leads to stagnation; stagnation leads to failure."