[comp.sys.amiga] Pixar film availability

mp@pixar.UUCP (Mike Paquette) (08/19/87)

Several people have expressed interest in the availability
of video tapes in this group.  'Red's Dream' isn't available
yet, but we have a distribution agreement for last year's
SIGGRAPH film and Oscar nominee, 'Luxo Jr.' [1]

Film and videotape copies of 'Luxo, Jr.' can be ordered by
calling Direct Cinema at (800) FILMS4U.

Pleeze don't flame me about commercial offerings, etc.  We definitely
don't distribute these films for the money.  Lots of folks have asked
for copies, and since we aren't set up to make them, we found someone
who was.

					Mike Paquette
					{ucbvax,sun}!pixar!mp

[1] Luxo is a registered trademark of the Luxo Lamp Co.

nyles@aeras.UUCP (Mister of the Universe) (08/20/87)

In article <1012@pixar.UUCP> mp@pixar.UUCP (Mike Paquette) writes:
>Film and videotape copies of 'Luxo, Jr.' can be ordered by
>calling Direct Cinema at (800) FILMS4U.

Called the number and got another place to call in L.A.: 213/652-8000
What follows is an approximation of what happened:

[ring... click]
Hello, Direct Cinema.

Uhh, yes, I'd interested in buying a copy of "Luxo, Jr."?

Yes. Please hold.  (a few seconds pass)
Yes that's "Luxo, Jr."?

Yes.

Umm, that tape is fifty dollars.  (sounds apologetic)

Fifty dollars?  How long does it run?  (I've seen it before, and it wasn't
very long)

Uhh, please hold.... it runs about two minutes.

Fifty dollars for two minutes?  Really?  (sounding incredulous)

Yes, we mainly sell to schools and libraries...

Oh, I see.  I guess I don't want it at this time, but could you send me
a catalog?

(etcetera)
[click]

Geez.

--
"Little blue pancakes."				Nyles Nettleton
Disclaimer:  I did NOT squish that Smurf!	...hplabs!