[comp.sys.amiga] ogre wont compile

Beware... the game "OGRE" is copyrighted by Steve Jackson games. Steve
Jackson is, I am given to understand, a litigious fella. That means he's
heavily into taking vigorous legal action to defend his rights.

Be warned. Not all piracy is software piracy. You may be lucky and find that
changing the rules and calling it "cybertank" will help.
--
-- Peter da Silva `-_-' ...!seismo!soma!uhnix1!sugar!peter (I said, NO PHOTOS!)

fnf@mcdsun.UUCP (Fred Fish) (08/05/87)

In article <456@sugar.UUCP> peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
>Beware... the game "OGRE" is copyrighted by Steve Jackson games. Steve
>Jackson is, I am given to understand, a litigious fella. That means he's
>heavily into taking vigorous legal action to defend his rights.

I am slightly confused here, are you saying:

	(1)	The name "OGRE" is a trademark (registered or not) of
		Steve Jackson games.  It's not possible to my knowledge
		to copyright a single word.

	(2)	Steve Jackson games distributes a copyrighted work that
		is similar to but not derived from (or vice versa) the
		"ogre" game recently distributed over the net.

	(3)	Steve Jackon games owns the copyright to the "ogre" game
		distributed over the net.

	(4)	Something other than (1), (2), or (3) above...

-Fred
--
= Drug tests; just say *NO*!
= Fred Fish  Motorola Computer Division, 3013 S 52nd St, Tempe, Az 85282  USA

mwm@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike (My watch has windows) Meyer) (08/05/87)

In article <456@sugar.UUCP> peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
<Beware... the game "OGRE" is copyrighted by Steve Jackson games. Steve
<Jackson is, I am given to understand, a litigious fella. That means he's
<heavily into taking vigorous legal action to defend his rights.

Why don't we call it "Bolo" instead? Going all the way back to the
original sources (well, there are probably more even further back...).

The PD version floating around doesn't include any of the text from
the original (or it didn't when I was fooling with it), so there's not
a clear copyright violation involved. The best bet is the "look and
feel" idiocy being propogated by certain vendors, but that's never
actually ben upheld in court. Taking that route, SJ might get a
restraining order to keep people from distributing the PD game.

If he actually carried it into a lawsuit, copyright penalties are
usually something nominal plus damanges. What damages can SJ claim
from a game that encourages people to get a copy of his work?

BTW, SJ licensed the concept of the Bolo, and the authers of the
commercial Ogre came licensed that from SJ. Since both people are
making money off of the licensed work, there is room for non-trivial
amounts of money to change hands in the lawsuit.

	<mike
--
Kiss me with your mouth.				Mike Meyer
Your love is better than wine.				mwm@berkeley.edu

kent@xanth.UUCP (Kent Paul Dolan) (08/08/87)

In article <349@mcdsun.UUCP> fnf@mcdsun.UUCP (Fred Fish) writes:
>In article <456@sugar.UUCP> peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
>>Beware... the game "OGRE" is copyrighted by Steve Jackson games. Steve
>>Jackson is, I am given to understand, a litigious fella. That means he's
>>heavily into taking vigorous legal action to defend his rights.
>
>I am slightly confused here, are you saying:
>
>	(1)	The name "OGRE" is a trademark (registered or not) of
>		Steve Jackson games.  It's not possible to my knowledge
>		to copyright a single word.
>
>	(2)	Steve Jackson games distributes a copyrighted work that
>		is similar to but not derived from (or vice versa) the
>		"ogre" game recently distributed over the net.
>
>	(3)	Steve Jackon games owns the copyright to the "ogre" game
>		distributed over the net.
>
>	(4)	Something other than (1), (2), or (3) above...
>
>-Fred
>--
>= Drug tests; just say *NO*!
>= Fred Fish  Motorola Computer Division, 3013 S 52nd St, Tempe, Az 85282  USA
>= seismo!noao!mcdsun!fnf    (602) 438-3614

Not claiming to be an authority, but my understanding is that (4) The
_design_ of a game (rules, board layout, etc.) is copyrightable.

Steve Jackson had a rather ugly experience when splitting with
Microgames (or whatever), with both sides claiming ownership of the
materials he developed and they sold.  This has rather sensitized him
to the subject of copyright infringement.  He is a very nice guy
otherwise, and I have corresponded with him over the net [ From:
<sjackson@im4u.utexas.edu> it says on one of the notes from him that I
saved].  If you are interested in his opinions on netogre, drop him an
email line.

I was disappointed in all this, because I was trying to find a current
source of an old favorite of mine developed by Steve, called Rivits.
This was one of those great "zip-loc bag games", and I played it a lot
while doing ocean survey work along the equator.  It turns out this
was one of the games to which both sides had a good enough claim that
neither dared the legal hassle of bringing it out in defiance of the
other, so there is no current source.  It would have made a great
Amiga game, something like Final Conflict for the Apple ][+, but I
lost the copy I had, and there are none to be found.

Kent, the man from xanth.

In article <349@mcdsun.UUCP> fnf@mcdsun.UUCP (Fred Fish) writes:
|In article <456@sugar.UUCP> peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
|>Beware... the game "OGRE" is copyrighted by Steve Jackson games. Steve
|>Jackson is, I am given to understand, a litigious fella. That means he's
|>heavily into taking vigorous legal action to defend his rights.
|
|I am slightly confused here, are you saying:
|
|	(1)	The name "OGRE" is a trademark (registered or not) of
|		Steve Jackson games.  It's not possible to my knowledge
|		to copyright a single word.
|
|	(2)	Steve Jackson games distributes a copyrighted work that
|		is similar to but not derived from (or vice versa) the
|		"ogre" game recently distributed over the net.
|
|	(3)	Steve Jackon games owns the copyright to the "ogre" game
|		distributed over the net.
|
|	(4)	Something other than (1), (2), or (3) above...

|-Fred

Steve Jackson Games distributes a copyrighted work called "OGRE", from which
the "ogre" game distributed over the net has been derived. The rules are
absolutely identical. The playing board is absolutely identical. The graphics
are better on the original :->. There is a commercial computer game called
OGRE that is also directly based on Steve Jackson's game, and which is either
published by SJG or by someone who pays royalties to SJG.

OGRE was Steve Jackson's first succesful product when it was first published
as Microgame #1. Now, Steve has not been too scrupulous about using other
people's work without credit... but he hasn't violated any copyrights that
I'm aware of. Do him the same courtesy.

If you want to keep "OGRE" around, call it "BOLO" and change the rules some.
--
-- Peter da Silva `-_-' ...!seismo!soma!uhnix1!sugar!peter (I said, NO PHOTOS!)

mwm@eris.UUCP (08/16/87)

In article <478@sugar.UUCP> peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
<Steve Jackson Games distributes a copyrighted work called "OGRE", from which
<the "ogre" game distributed over the net has been derived. The rules are
<absolutely identical. The playing board is absolutely identical. The graphics
<are better on the original :->. There is a commercial computer game called
<OGRE that is also directly based on Steve Jackson's game, and which is either
<published by SJG or by someone who pays royalties to SJG.
<--
<-- Peter da Silva `-_-' ...!seismo!soma!uhnix1!sugar!peter (I said, NO PHOTOS!)

As often as Peter is right, it's a little surprising to see him drop
one.

SJG has distributed *two* versions of OGRE. They are almost identical,
with a minor change in the rules. The concepts therein are licensed
from Keith Laumer, deriving from his BOLO stories.

Origin Systems Inc distributed a version of OGRE under license from
SJG.  It is now distributed by EA. The graphics are nearly identical
to the SJG version, and the rules are nearly identical. The OSI
version allows for starting conditions that violate the rules of the
SJG version, and there is no way to use the optional rules. It's
nicely done; if only I could get it without the user traps.

There is an ASCII version of Ogre floating around. The graphics are
different, and the board is smaller. There is no option to allow a
human to play the ogre. There are three versions: stock, with problems
relating to stacking and movement (user interface bogosity - if you've
still got this, let me know) and a dumb ogre; one improved to the
point where only infantry combat rules differ from SJG, plus some
optional rules and ui improvements; and finally a version with ogre
types from The Space Gamer included.

Someone ported the middle version to the Amiga. I would assume it
still has most of the same problems (infantry combat and board size).
So neither the graphics nor the rules would be identical.

	<mike
--
But I'll survive, no you won't catch me,		Mike Meyer
I'll resist the urge that is tempting me,		ucbvax!mwm

> The PD version floating around doesn't include any of the text from
> the original (or it didn't when I was fooling with it), so there's not
> a clear copyright violation involved...

Oh no?  Copyright includes translations into other languages and media,
as I recall.  If you want to make a movie of, say, "The Hunt For Red
October", simply changing all the dialogue slightly won't keep Tom Clancy
from suing you.  If the rules of the "PD" version are identical to those
of Jackson's game, then it's almost certainly a copyright violation.  It
is also probably a trademark violation, since I can't believe that Jackson
hasn't trademarked the game name "Ogre".
--
Support sustained spaceflight: fight |  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
the soi-disant "Planetary Society"!  | {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,utai}!utzoo!henry

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (08/19/87)

In article <4759@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> mwm@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike (My watch has windows) Meyer) writes:
>SJG has distributed *two* versions of OGRE. They are almost identical,
>with a minor change in the rules. The concepts therein are licensed
>from Keith Laumer, deriving from his BOLO stories.

I remember how disappointed I was when they changed the rules.
I thought it was funny that the OGRE could be killed easily
by GEVs.  As it proved that "Biphase carbide armor" was merely
a marketing gimick from the Ogre Corporation after all.

--
andy finkel		{ihnp4|seismo|allegra}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"The goal of Computer Science is to build something that will last at
least until we've finished building it."

In article <4759@jade.BERKELEY.EDU>, (Mike  Meyer) writes:
|SJG has distributed *two* versions of OGRE. They are almost identical,
|with a minor change in the rules. The concepts therein are licensed
|from Keith Laumer, deriving from his BOLO stories.

First of all, the differences are extremely minor. If you want to pick nits
replace the words "absolutely identical" with "virtually identical". Steve
did not license anything from Keith Laumer... it is quite likely he never
read the books (I know he never read Illuminatus before designing Illuminati).
He gave Keith Laumer credit, but that's it.

Secondly, it is extremely unlikely Steve gave his permission for the PD
version. I've run into him a couple of times at conventions, and I got
the impression that he wouldn't be happy with me doing one... so I didn't.
I didn't actually bring up the subject, but his views were pretty obvious.

Basically, the game OGRE is copyright be Steve Jackson, and I believe that
the PD version is a violation of that copyright. There's more to copyright
violation than software piracy... though you wouldn't think it on the net.

If you have some facts to dispute this belief, I'd be happy to apologise.
In the meantime, it'd probably be a wise move to remove the OGRE port
from PD disk collections and bulletin boards. I haven't told SJ or anyone
associated with them, and I'm not saying you're likely to be prosecuted.
I just think that the "PD" OGRE is not consistent with the basic "rules"
of PD software.

|Origin Systems Inc distributed a version of OGRE under license from
                                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|SJG.  It is now distributed by EA. The graphics are nearly identical
 ^^^
|to the SJG version, and the rules are nearly identical.

OSI/EA has permission. The person who did the PD version doesn't.
--
-- Peter da Silva `-_-' ...!seismo!soma!uhnix1!sugar!peter (I said, NO PHOTOS!)

fnf@mcdsun.UUCP (Fred Fish) (08/24/87)

In article <531@sugar.UUCP> peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In the meantime, it'd probably be a wise move to remove the OGRE port
>from PD disk collections and bulletin boards. I haven't told SJ or anyone
>associated with them, and I'm not saying you're likely to be prosecuted.
>I just think that the "PD" OGRE is not consistent with the basic "rules"
>of PD software.

Lest people think I am ignoring this issue with respect to my set of
library disks, I have been trying (so far unsuccessfully) for the last
couple of weeks to get in contact with Steve Jackson.  About a week ago
I sent a letter to an address provided to me by someone via email but
have yet to get any response.  If anyone has contact information for
Steve Jackson that is known to be correct and current, I would appreciate
a phone call with the information.  Call (602) 921-1113 and leave a message
on my answering machine.

Thanks for any help.

-Fred