[comp.sys.amiga] McIntosh <=> MacIntosh

olson@endor.harvard.edu (Eric Olson) (01/01/70)

In article <1841@tekig4.TEK.COM> briand@tekig4.UUCP (Brian Diehm) writes:
>Early Macintosh documentation used to say that Apple, the Apple logo, etc.,
>were trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. BUT, they stated that "Macintosh is
>a trademark LICENSED TO Apple Computer, Inc." (emphasis mine).
>
>However, later documents have dropped that and claimed Macintosh in with Apple
>and the rest of it as trademarks of Apple Computer directly. Apparently their
>lawyers convinced themselves that they now had a standard of recognition or
>something...

The name Macintosh was trademarked by McIntosh Laboratories (the stereo
equipment manufacturer) before Apple decided to use it.  So they liscensed
the trademark from McIntosh Labs.  Later they bought the trademark, so it
is now a trademark of Apple Computer, Inc.

-Eric

Eric K. Olson		olson@endor.harvard.edu		harvard!endor!olson

schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein MAGAZINES) (01/01/70)

In article <1987Aug24.233023.16436@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> zen@gpu.utcs.UUCP (Nick Zentena) writes:
>	Nope apple got permission to use the name well in advance of the
>release of the machine. Now can we kill this subject??? PLEASE!!
				    ^^^^ ^^^^ ^^^^^^^

	 At least take "comp.sys.amiga" off the list!  PLEASE!
		  ^^^^  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  ^^^ ^^^ ^^^^

>--
>	Nick Zentena

|  Commodore Business Machines						     |
|  1200 Wilson Drive               uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!schein   |
|  West Chester, PA 19380          arpa: cbmvax!schein@seismo.css.GOV        |
|  (215) 431-9100 x9542            or    schein@cbmvax.UUCP@{seismo|harvard} |
|   All spelling mistakes are a result of my efforts to avoid education :-)  |
|  Quote: Those who worked the hardest         Gary Ward - Oklahoma State    |
|	   are the last to surrender                       baseball coach    |

bryce@COGSCI.BERKELEY.EDU (Bryce Nesbitt) (08/22/87)

><<Stuff about my computer versus yours deleted>>
>
>...an Apple McIntosh... (where did they ever come up with MacIntosh
>anyway? Is the spelling of the edible type of apple copyrighted? :-)

I've seen an early "Mac" description that said "McIntosh" (McIntosh, as
in the edible apple)  since this later changed to "MacIntosh" (As in
the raincoat), one must wonder.  Apple computer selling Apples, yes.
Raincoats, no.

The rumor I heard (rumor, now, not fact) was that someone at Apple
misstyped McIntosh and it ended up sticking.  Hi... I own a "Mc". :-)
Or, some editor might have seen "MacIntosh" and corrected an obvious
mistake. :-|

In the Apple //gs, the "gs" stands for another type of Apple...
the "Granny Smith". :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

     ( Ok, it really stands for "Graphics and Sound" :-|  )

  ( This backseat computerist and 6502 hacker feels that Apple should )
    ( have invested the ][gs money into the Macintosh II, instead )
 	( No flames on this point... it was just a joke, and )
	( I don't want to be convinced that the ][gs is a    )
	( technically neat machine [you can't do it, anyway] )
	( or even a marketing sucess... I don't care.        )

khayo@sonia.cs.ucla.edu (Erazm J. Behr) (08/22/87)

Bryce Nesbitt writes:
>><<Stuff about my computer versus yours deleted>>
>>
>>...an Apple McIntosh... (where did they ever come up with MacIntosh
>>anyway? Is the spelling of the edible type of apple copyrighted? :-)
>
>I've seen an early "Mac" description that said "McIntosh" (McIntosh, as
>in the edible apple)  since this later changed to "MacIntosh" (As in
>the raincoat), one must wonder.  Apple computer selling Apples, yes.
>Raincoats, no.
>The rumor I heard (rumor, now, not fact) was that someone at Apple
>misstyped McIntosh and it ended up sticking.  Hi... I own a "Mc". :-)

   An important reason for switching was (I think, I'm an outsider...)
the possible trademark conflict with McIntosh Laboratories, makers of
high-end audio stuff. Most every official Apple publication mentioning
the Mac has a notice on the copyright page saying "McIntosh is a ..." -
take a look at IM, for instance. This is in spite of the name change;
if they are so polite about such a detail, I wonder why they didn't sue
the **** out of Microsoft for copying their interface in a blatant way
(but then again, it must be fun to be able to say in an ad: "IBM finally
started using a pointing device - aka mouse - 6 years after we put balls
into them.)
   Sorry about the above, but since there is no comp.mac.gossip ...
                                         Eric Behr

I'm sick & tired of editing my incorrect address in the header.
The *correct* one is khayo@MATH.UCLA.EDU; I have no connection
with the CS Department, except that we breathe the same smog.

sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) (08/22/87)

in article <8708220352.AA24519@cogsci.berkeley.edu>, bryce@COGSCI.BERKELEY.EDU (Bryce Nesbitt) says:

> I've seen an early "Mac" description that said "McIntosh" (McIntosh, as
> in the edible apple)  since this later changed to "MacIntosh" (As in
> the raincoat), one must wonder.  Apple computer selling Apples, yes.

Hey, as far as I know, it's neither "McIntosh" or "MacIntosh", but
"Macintosh".    The "i" isn't capitalized.  Apple seems rather sensitive
about this point ...

Jan Harrington, sysop
Scholastech Telecommunications
seismo!husc6!amcad!stech!sysop

elg@killer.UUCP (Eric Green) (08/23/87)

in article <8708220352.AA24519@cogsci.berkeley.edu>, bryce@COGSCI.BERKELEY.EDU (Bryce Nesbitt) says:
>>...an Apple McIntosh... (where did they ever come up with MacIntosh
>>anyway? Is the spelling of the edible type of apple copyrighted? :-)
> The rumor I heard (rumor, now, not fact) was that someone at Apple
> misstyped McIntosh and it ended up sticking.  Hi... I own a "Mc". :-)

McIntosh is a maker of very expensive high-end audio equipment (one of my
friends dropped 5 grand on one). Their name is, of course, trademarked. Still,
it's interesting to read the fine print at the bottom of Macintosh
advertising. It says "The names 'McIntosh and Macintosh are trademarks of
McIntosh Audio Labs" or something like that. Apparently, Apple decided that
just adding the "a" STILL was too close to the audio equipment manufactuer's
name (maybe with the help of some lawyers :-), and decided to reach an
agreement with the equipment manufacturer to explicitly disclaim the name in
each ad...
--
Eric Green   elg%usl.CSNET     Ollie North for President:
{cbosgd,ihnp4}!killer!elg      A man we can believe (in).

munson@renoir.Berkeley.EDU (Ethan V. Munson) (08/24/87)

In article <137@stech.UUCP> sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) writes:
>in article <8708220352.AA24519@cogsci.berkeley.edu>, bryce@COGSCI.BERKELEY.EDU (Bryce Nesbitt) says:
>>
>> I've seen an early "Mac" description that said "McIntosh" (McIntosh, as
>> in the edible apple)  since this later changed to "MacIntosh" (As in
>> the raincoat), one must wonder.  Apple computer selling Apples, yes.
>
>Hey, as far as I know, it's neither "McIntosh" or "MacIntosh", but
>"Macintosh".    The "i" isn't capitalized.  Apple seems rather sensitive
>about this point ...

Being a closet etymologist, here's what I think happenned:

1)  Apple used "apple" names for several early projects.  The apple variety is
presumably spelled "MacIntosh", at least this is what the stores use and
Scottish names usually capitalize the part of the name after Mac or Mc (which
stand for "of the clan", more or less).

2)  Apple got sued, I think, by McIntosh Labs, a manufacturer of extremely high
quality hi-fi gear.  I think that McIntosh was afraid they would lose their
trademark and maybe also wanted to make sure that people didn't think
that Apple owned them.  I don't think the suit had too much merit, but they
are both in the electronics business.  Apple settled, though I don't think they
paid any money, and agreed to include the little disclaimer about McIntosh labs
with each of Apple's trademark declarations for the Mac.

3)  Since McIntosh labs is probably named after Mr. McIntosh and MacIntosh
apples have the same kind of history behind their name, it is in Apple's
interest to avoid trademark problems by spelling the name of their computer
in a manner different from the standard Scottish spelling.

Ethan Munson
munson@renoir.berkeley.edu
...ucbvax!renoir!munson

Disclaimer: the above is mostly guesswork.

Note:  Just think how much money you could make as a fly-by-night purveyor
oF Korean computers if your company has a figurehead president whose last name
is MacIntosh. (Trademarks are not supposed to prevent people from using
their legal name on any product they sell themselves)  I'm sure Apple has
thought of this.

2)

fry@huma1.HARVARD.EDU (David Fry) (08/24/87)

In article <20263@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> munson@renoir.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Ethan V. Munson) writes:
>In article <137@stech.UUCP> sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) writes:
>>in article <8708220352.AA24519@cogsci.berkeley.edu>, bryce@COGSCI.BERKELEY.EDU (Bryce Nesbitt) says:
>>>
>>> I've seen an early "Mac" description that said "McIntosh" (McIntosh, as
>>> in the edible apple)  since this later changed to "MacIntosh" (As in
>>> the raincoat), one must wonder.  Apple computer selling Apples, yes.

I'm really surprised no one has commented on this: the
standard story about this is that Jeff Raskin, who supplied
the original design specs for the Mac, thought the apple
"McIntosh" was spelled "Macintosh." So he wrote that on all
the original memos, etc.  And it stuck.

David Fry				fry@huma1.harvard.EDU
Department of Mathematics		fry@harvma1.bitnet
Harvard University			...!harvard!huma1!fry
Cambridge, MA  0213817t

woody@tybalt.caltech.edu (William Edward Woody) (08/24/87)

As I recall, didn't someone post here a while ago that Apple bought the
rights to use the "Macintosh" name?  So nowadays, the standard disclamer
is not "Trademark of McIntosh Labs, and used with permission" but "Trademark
of Apple Computers."

So we can all now rest easy knowing the free world is safe once again...

    - William Edward Woody                      Mac >> IBM && /|\ && ][n

_____UNTIL 1 SEPTEMBER 1987_____           ______AFTER 1 SEPTEMBER 1987_____
    woody@tybalt.caltech.edu                       Net Address Unknown
    woody@juliet.caltech.edu                    (I hope I get net access!)

        1-54 Lloyd House                            8038 N. Mariposa
        Pasadena, CA 93710                          Fresno, CA 93710

csaron@opal.berkeley.edu (Aron Roberts) (08/24/87)

In article <20263@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> munson@renoir.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Ethan V. Munson) writes:

> [...]
>
>Note:  Just think how much money you could make as a fly-by-night purveyor
>oF Korean computers if your company has a figurehead president whose last name
>is MacIntosh. (Trademarks are not supposed to prevent people from using
>their legal name on any product they sell themselves)  I'm sure Apple has
>thought of this.

A man named Robert Corr (and his wife, whose name I don't recall at
the moment, but who was also a significant entrepreneurial player)
founded a company that sold "natural" sodas, in flavors like Ginseng
Rush and Mandarin Lime.  These sodas were packaged in cans with the name
"Corr's" printed in script on the side.  After achiving significant
sales, Mr. Corr's company was sued not too long ago by none other
than the (Joseph) Coors breweries, presumably for trademark
infringement.  If you've noticed, the cans of "Corr's" on the super-
market shelves now also bear the name "Robert," in slightly smaller
letters, possibly as a direct outcome of this litigation.  Apparently,
at least in this case, the potential for brand confusion was given some
consideration when weighed against Mr. Corr's right to use his own
name as a product trademark.

I believe that the pop artist and "synthesizer wiz" Thomas Dolby
("She Blinded Me with Science"), who changed his name so that
"Dolby," formerly one of his two middle names, became his last name,
also ran into a court battle with the company holding the rights to
the Dolby recording process.  To the best of my recollection, the
performer prevailed over the company.

By the way, one of the ubiquitous "Apple reps on the net"--to whom we
all owe a tremendous debt of gratitude for their active and worthy
participation here in comp.sys.mac--pointed out earlier this year
that Apple has reached an agreement with McIntosh Laboratories and
no longer has to include its disclaimer about the Macintosh trademark
being licensed from the audio equipment maker.

   Aron Roberts  Tolman Microcomputer Facility
                 1535 Tolman Hall, University of California
                 Berkeley, CA 94720  (415) 642-2251
                 csaron@opal.Berkeley.EDU  CSARON@UCBCMSA.BITNET

see1@sphinx.uchicago.edu (Ellen Keyne Seebacher) (08/24/87)

In a discussion on how "Trademarks are not supposed to prevent people
from using their legal name on any product they sell themselves,"
Aron Roberts writes:

[tale of Corr's soda, made by Robert Corr, being sued by Coors' beer --
 possibly one of the stupidest court cases _I've_ ever heard of]

>I believe that the pop artist and "synthesizer wiz" Thomas Dolby
>("She Blinded Me with Science"), who changed his name so that
>"Dolby," formerly one of his two middle names, became his last name,
>also ran into a court battle with the company holding the rights to
>the Dolby recording process.  To the best of my recollection, the
>performer prevailed over the company.

No, he didn't.  Thomas Dolby may not advertise his concerts "DOLBY!":
he has to use his first name as well, _in the same size type_ as "Dolby,"
or Dolby Labs takes him back to court.

So much for free enterprise.  (No, he didn't change his name to make use
of a trademark;  his last name was pretty unmemorable.  Followups to
rec.music.)

Ellen Keyne Seebacher     {ihnp4!gargoyle, oddjob}!sphinx!see1

briand@tekig4.TEK.COM (Brian Diehm) (08/24/87)

>>...an Apple McIntosh... (where did they ever come up with MacIntosh
>>anyway? Is the spelling of the edible type of apple copyrighted? :-)
>
>I've seen an early "Mac" description that said "McIntosh" (McIntosh, as
>in the edible apple)  since this later changed to "MacIntosh" (As in
>the raincoat), one must wonder.  Apple computer selling Apples, yes.
>Raincoats, no.

Early Macintosh documentation used to say that Apple, the Apple logo, etc.,
were trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. BUT, they stated that "Macintosh is
a trademark LICENSED TO Apple Computer, Inc." (emphasis mine).

However, later documents have dropped that and claimed Macintosh in with Apple
and the rest of it as trademarks of Apple Computer directly. Apparently their
lawyers convinced themselves that they now had a standard of recognition or
something...

References - early, MacWrite manual copyright 1984. Later, Macintosh SE manual,
copyright 1987.

--
-Brian Diehm     (SDA - Standard Disclaimers Apply)
Tektronix, Inc.

zen@utgpu.UUCP (08/25/87)

In article <20263@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> munson@renoir.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Ethan V. Munson) writes:
>2)  Apple got sued, I think, by McIntosh Labs, a manufacturer of extremely high
>quality hi-fi gear.  I think that McIntosh was afraid they would lose their
>trademark and maybe also wanted to make sure that people didn't think
>that Apple owned them.  I don't think the suit had too much merit, but they
>are both in the electronics business.  Apple settled, though I don't think they
>paid any money, and agreed to include the little disclaimer about McIntosh labs
>with each of Apple's trademark declarations for the Mac.

	Nope apple got permission to use the name well in advance of the
release of the machine. Now can we kill this subject??? PLEASE!!

		Nick
--
	Nick Zentena

	UUCP:           zen@utgpu or gpu.utcs.toronto.edu
        BITNET:         zen@utorgpu.bitnet, zen@gpu.utcs.utoronto
        UofT LAN:       zen@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

{utai,watmath@utai,seismo@utai,allegra,cbosgd,mnetor,pyramid}

jesup@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (Randell Jesup) (08/25/87)

In article <4866@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> csaron@opal.berkeley.edu (Aron Roberts) writes:
>In article <20263@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> munson@renoir.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Ethan V. Munson) writes:
>>(Trademarks are not supposed to prevent people from using
>>their legal name on any product they sell themselves)  I'm sure Apple has
>>thought of this.
>
>A man named Robert Corr (and his wife, whose name I don't recall at
>the moment, but who was also a significant entrepreneurial player)
>founded a company that sold "natural" sodas, in flavors like Ginseng
>Rush and Mandarin Lime.  These sodas were packaged in cans with the name
>"Corr's" printed in script on the side.  After achiving significant
>sales, Mr. Corr's company was sued not too long ago by none other
>than the (Joseph) Coors breweries, presumably for trademark
>infringement.  If you've noticed, the cans of "Corr's" on the super-
>market shelves now also bear the name "Robert," in slightly smaller
>letters, possibly as a direct outcome of this litigation.  Apparently,
>at least in this case, the potential for brand confusion was given some
>consideration when weighed against Mr. Corr's right to use his own
>name as a product trademark.
>   Aron Roberts  Tolman Microcomputer Facility
>                 csaron@opal.Berkeley.EDU  CSARON@UCBCMSA.BITNET

A similar occurance has happened in upstate NY, to Walter S. Taylor.
His family founded and ran Taylor Wines, until a number of years ago, his
father (or some such) sold the business to the Coca-Cola Co.  Walter
kept the experimental vinyards, known as Bully Hill, and continued to
make wine for local consumption (actually, I'm not sure how far it reaches.)
He tried to put his name on the wine, but Coca-Cola took him to court for
Trademark infringment, and won.  He does not have the right to put his or
any of his ancestors named Taylor name on the wine.
	At different times, he has used Walter S. XXXXXX (Taylor blacked out),
Walter S. Who? (that one was labeled Hoot Owl Wine), has had diatribes
against Coca-Cola on the back, (without mentioning the dreaded name), and
I believe even put the President of Coca-Cola on the label.  His labels bear
the motto "They have my heritage and name, but not my Goat!"  The labels are
true works of art, well worth 5 or 10 minutes reading.

Does anyone know how we got on this subject?  (at least it's better than
comp.sys.micro.total_war!)

	Randell Jesup
	jesup@steinmetz.UUCP (uunet!steinmetz!jesup)
	jesup@ge-crd.arpa

ralph@mit-atrp.UUCP (Amiga-Man) (08/25/87)

Mac Folks: Please remove comp.sys.amiga from the discussion of the
origin of the Macintosh name ! Thanks.