[comp.sys.amiga] a1000 -a2000

perry@csd4.milw.wisc.edu.UUCP (08/15/87)

  I recently purchased an amiga 1000 system in april, I passed up atari and the macintosh series whle doing so now I hear a lot of talk about the amiga 2000, I am very  concerned that the amiga 1000 lin will be dropped.
  I have read articles in "Amiga World" that the line  will be dropped but no
  specific time was set.

  Could someone reassure me that my investment isn't wasted, especially since the new amiga
  offers expandability, built in kickstart, etc...

  Perry.

lishka@uwslh.UUCP (Christopher Lishka) (08/17/87)

I will be buying an a1000 (used) at a lower cost soon, and am also
wondering what the differences between it and a500's & a2000's are.  I
much prefer the a1000 (nicer machine, better keyboard, cuter ;-), but
I am also concerned about stranding myself.  For me it is a cheaper
a1000 or a more expensive a500 system; please help me decide.

				-Chris
--
Chris Lishka                    /lishka@uwslh.uucp
Wisconsin State Lab of Hygiene <-lishka%uwslh.uucp@rsch.wisc.edu

In article <254@uwslh.UUCP> lishka@uwslh.UUCP (Christopher Lishka) writes:
>I will be buying an a1000 (used) at a lower cost soon, and am also
>wondering what the differences between it and a500's & a2000's are.  I
>much prefer the a1000 (nicer machine, better keyboard, cuter ;-), but
>I am also concerned about stranding myself.  For me it is a cheaper
>a1000 or a more expensive a500 system; please help me decide.

Quite a few people around here have been asking pretty much the same
question, and since it probably is being asked by quite a few people
reading this list I'll throw in my two cents worth here. Basically,
with the way things are priced an Amiga 1000 and an Amiga 500 are
not that far apart cost wise, this is probably due to the fact that
the 500 is selling near list ($630 - $675 [$695]) and the 1000 is
selling significantly below list ($800 - $900 [$1295]). Often the
two drive 512K 1000 system can cost less than the 1Meg 2 drive 500
based system. [Note: Some dealers have been known to install the 'Kickstart
eliminator' in the 1000's they sell, making them 768K machines with
Kickstart in Rom for the same price as the 500]

    So why buy one or another ? Basically two reasons
Asthetics and Expansion, With a 1000 you get a nice keyboard garage,
a keyboard you can easily drop into your lap, and quite a few expansion
options. By now it is understood that you can really only put one and
sometimes two expansion units on the side however one of those units
can be an ASDG mini-rack which could supply enough power for most
applications (what more do you need than 8 megs of ram and a DMA disk
controller?) But you can also add a SideCar if you want (no giggles please)
or a StarBoard II if 2 megs and a interrupt driven SCSI interface are
sufficient. So far Supra and MicroBotics are claiming to have addons for
the 500 but I expect it to be another 6 months before these are available
in quantity and at a price most net folks seem willing to pay. Of course
by next year the cost of the 500 will have come down and the expansion options
will be available and the question will be moot. (except for the detached
keyboard which is near and dear to my heart at least). Remember that last
point well. COMMODORE WILL LOWER THE PRICE AT SOMETIME IN THE FUTURE. It
is for all intents and purposes guarunteed. The only time this really hurts
is when they lower it right after you buy one, so buy one quickly and stay
away from the edge :-)

--Chuck McManis

In article <254@uwslh.UUCP> lishka@uwslh.UUCP (Christopher Lishka) writes:

> I will be buying an a1000 (used) at a lower cost soon, and am also
> wondering what the differences between it and a500's & a2000's are.  I
> much prefer the a1000 (nicer machine, better keyboard, cuter ;-), but
> I am also concerned about stranding myself.  For me it is a cheaper
> a1000 or a more expensive a500 system; please help me decide.

At the moment, if you can get an A1000 for less than and A500, the A1000 is
still a reasonable choice.  A few months down the line, as more expansion
devices are available for the A500 this perspective may change.  There's not
much difference in the base system capabilities, if you are interested in
video applications, the color composite output of the A1000 and the availability
of the genlock peripheral for the A1000 are definite plusses.