[comp.sys.amiga] New Atari inmos transputer based computer ?!?!?

pbrody@udenva.UUCP (Paul Brody ) (08/20/87)

	I read in one of the more recent issues of THe Guardian that Atari
has announced a inmos transputer and 68000 based computer due out next year.
There were few solid facts in the article. Does anyone know more ?

I will summarize and post replies.

pbrody@udenva

In article <4104@udenva.UUCP> pbrody@udenva.UUCP (Paul Brody ) writes:
|	I read in one of the more recent issues of THe Guardian that Atari
| has announced a inmos transputer and 68000 based computer due out next year.
| There were few solid facts in the article. Does anyone know more ?

Is this supposed to come out before or after the Atari PC (which is getting on
in age here). Don't get me wrong, I would be the first to admit that Sidecar
and Genlock were a lot later coming out the pipe than they should have been,
I just get cynical in my old age.

--Chuck McManis

In article <26201@sun.uucp>, cmcmanis%pepper@Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) writes:
> In article <4104@udenva.UUCP> pbrody@udenva.UUCP (Paul Brody ) writes:
> |	I read in one of the more recent issues of THe Guardian that Atari
> | has announced a inmos transputer and 68000 based computer due out next year.
> Is this supposed to come out before or after the Atari PC (which is getting on

Not to mention the TT and the Mega ST...

I have also heard that the Transputer is proving to be as successful an
innovation as bubble memory. Now if it was one of the new AT&T DSP chips,
that'd be a whole different kettle of fiche.

That sounds like a good idea to me. AT&T says they have a good 'C' compiler
and UNIX for their 25 Megaflop DSP chip. I would think a Zorro card with the
AT&T DSP and a chunk of RAM should be fairly easy (by comparison with the
difficulty of doing a whole new computer). Run it in a window like the 2088,
but with tighter coupling to the 68000 (after all, this time you don't need
to allow for an obsolete architecture).

Or else get the 20286 card out quick-smart so you can use the AT DSP card
that's alread in the works...
--
-- Peter da Silva `-_-' ...!seismo!soma!uhnix1!sugar!peter (I said, NO PHOTOS!)

jwhitnel@csib.UUCP (Jerry Whitnell) (08/25/87)

In article <4104@udenva.UUCP| pbrody@udenva.UUCP (Paul Brody ) writes:

|	I read in one of the more recent issues of THe Guardian that Atari
|has announced a inmos transputer and 68000 based computer due out next year.
|There were few solid facts in the article. Does anyone know more ?

I don't know about the Atari, but Levco annouced a transputer add-in
board for the Mac SE and II.  No details such as price.

|I will summarize and post replies.
|
|pbrody@udenva

Jerry Whitnell                           It's a damn poor mind that can only
Communication Solutions, Inc.            think of one way to spell a word.
						-- Andrew Jackson