[comp.sys.amiga] Extending Monitor cable.

mende@aramis.rutgers.edu (Bob Mende) (08/26/87)

  Has anyone had any experience with extending the cable on a 1080
monitor?  With moving into my new dorm I find that I would like to
place the monitor on a shelf above my desk, to do this I would need
about 3 to 5 feet of extension cable.  Has anyone done anything like
this.  Will the extra length of cable mess up the timing or signal?
Does anyone know of a cable that will do this or will I have to make
my own cable?

				/Bob
--
     mende@rutgers.edu    {...}!rutgers!mende    mende@pisces.bitnet

In article <1367@aramis.rutgers.edu> mende@aramis.rutgers.edu (Bob Mende) writes:

>   Has anyone had any experience with extending the cable on a 1080
> monitor?  With moving into my new dorm I find that I would like to
> place the monitor on a shelf above my desk, to do this I would need
> about 3 to 5 feet of extension cable.  Has anyone done anything like
> this.  Will the extra length of cable mess up the timing or signal?
> Does anyone know of a cable that will do this or will I have to make
> my own cable?

You should have no particular problem doing this, however to maintain image
quality, you should use miniature 75 Ohm coax for the signals that run in
coax in the original cable.  I don't know of any companies selling ready
made long video cables, however there was one mentioned in CA that had a
single ended generic (non-coax) cable.

It would be nice if the cable were longer to start with, but video cables
are a major exposure point for FCC emanations, the longer the cable, the
better then antenna.  If you look at a Sun video cable some time, you find
3 layers of $$$ shielding, eek!!!