[comp.sys.amiga] TCP/SLIP != TCP/IP

mwm@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike (My watch has windows) Meyer) (08/25/87)

In article <450@louie.udel.EDU> rminnich@udel.EDU (Ron Minnich) writes:
<YES there is TCP/IP for the amiga. You can FTP it from louie.udel.edu
<or trantor.umd.edu.

Uh, that's actually a TCP/SLIP implementation. That's not what most
people mean when they ask for TCP/IP.

There is also a real TCP/IP for the Amiga, from a company called
Ameristar. They sell ethernet boards (slap-on-the-side, Zorro I and
Zorro II, so I hear) and TCP/IP to run on them. The software is
available seperately, and version 1.1 was supposed to have SLIP.

The software package also includes NFS - or at least the client half
of it.

I've lost their phone number. If someone would post it again, I'd
appreciate it.

	<mike
--
The weather is here, I wish you were beautiful.		Mike Meyer
My thoughts aren't to clear, but don't run away.	mwm@berkeley.edu

rminnich@udel.EDU (Ron Minnich) (08/25/87)

In article <4874@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> mwm@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike (My watch has windows) Meyer) writes:
>In article <450@louie.udel.EDU> rminnich@udel.EDU (Ron Minnich) writes:
><YES there is TCP/IP for the amiga. You can FTP it from louie.udel.edu
><or trantor.umd.edu.
>
>Uh, that's actually a TCP/SLIP implementation. That's not what most
>people mean when they ask for TCP/IP.
???
But there is IP in there; maybe i should say TCP/IP/SLIP, since
SLIP just involves encapsulating IP packets in some funny characters.
   There is also a 3com ethernet driver in there. Which means you
2000 owners can get the 3com card for the pc, plug it in,
write the lowest-level driver, and have TCP/IP/ETHER. Not a bad deal.

--
Ron Minnich

louie@trantor.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) (08/25/87)

In article <4874@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> mwm@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike (My watch has windows) Meyer) writes:
>In article <450@louie.udel.EDU> rminnich@udel.EDU (Ron Minnich) writes:
><YES there is TCP/IP for the amiga. You can FTP it from louie.udel.edu
><or trantor.umd.edu.
>
>Uh, that's actually a TCP/SLIP implementation. That's not what most
>people mean when they ask for TCP/IP.

Uh, no.  It is a TCP/IP implementation that has SLIP as one of its link level
encapsulations for IP datagrams.  It also can shove IP datagrams across
Amateur Packet radio links a few different ways too. It's as "real" as any
other TCP/IP.  Of course, its free.

One other thing.  There have been multiple ports of the Phil Karn TCP/IP
package to the amiga.  The on on TRANTOR.UMD.EDU is the one that I did.  I
suspect that the on at UDEL might be a port of a laster version than mine.
You should probably check to make sure.

I've begun some work to convert the package to a real EXEC device driver, but
that project has fell into limbo for a while.  I'm now thinking of porting
the Berkeley 4.3 BSD networking code instead.  Maybe when my hard disk returns
from the factory, these ambitious development efforts will start up again..

Louis A. Mamakos  WA3YMH    Internet: louie@TRANTOR.UMD.EDU
University of Maryland, Computer Science Center - Systems Programming

ricks@well.UUCP (08/27/87)

>    There is also a 3com ethernet driver in there. Which means you
> 2000 owners can get the 3com card for the pc, plug it in,
> write the lowest-level driver, and have TCP/IP/ETHER. Not a bad deal.
>
> --
> Ron Minnich

Actually, there is a bit more to it than "get the 3Com card for the pc..." -
namely, you'll also need the Commodore Bridge card to talk to the PC bus
in the 2000.  For this solution, you'll spend:

	Bridge card:		$499 (price from March '87 Byte, p86)
	PC Ethernet card:	$375 (3Com 3C501)
				----
				$874

Add another $299 if you don't have access to a 8086 C compiler to write
the driver.  Of course, you could go out and buy Ameristar's A2000 Ethernet
card for $699 and use it with the KA9Q package (heck, I'll even give you
the driver!).

						Rick Spanbauer
						SUNY/Stony Brook

PS.  For the record, I do some software/hardware work for Ameristar..