[comp.sys.amiga] Where can I buy an amiga?

bbanerje@sjuvax.UUCP (08/24/87)

Hi,

	I'd like  to recount my  experiences in trying to  buy an
Amiga. At the end there's a query.

	Some time ago, I decided that I needed a computer at home
... if only  because I was tying  up my lines to the  vax for too
long.  After  looking  at  the alternatives,  I  settled  on  the
Amiga....

	I  started out  by looking  for the  proverbial "friendly
local  dealer". Unfortunately,  according  to  the Yellow  Pages,
there wasn't one! This is in Philadelphia, the closest large city
to  their headquarters.  I tried  calling C-A,  but couldn't  get
through... The lines were perpetually busy.

	Well, I sat down and  started calling mail order outlets.
The Amiga 1000 is out of stock.  The Amiga 2000 isn't in yet, and
they don't know when it will be released. The opinions were split
as to whether or not the A1000 has been discontinued.

	Finally, I found a dealer in Cherry Hill (town across the
river  from  Philly). He  told  me  that  they were  expecting  a
shipment of 1000's next month, and that they didn't have any idea
of when they would receive the 2000's. He told me that they had a
special on  the 500  for $899  (w/monitor), and  that a  board to
bring it up to 1 meg was $198.

	Well, I  really had wanted  a 1000. I cannot  justify the
purchase of a 2000 for what  I'll be doing. However, I might want
to hang peripherals  off of the system I buy,  and I *definitely*
want at least 2 Meg of memory.

So the questions are...

a)  Does  anyone  know  where  I  can  purchase  an  Amiga  1000?
preferably in the Philadelphia area? Mail order is also OK.

b) What are  the expansion capabilities for the A500?  Can I bump
it up to 2 Meg or more? Can I add an SCSI disk to it? Can I add a
68020/6881? I  understand that all of  this can be done  with the
A1000, and  the A2000. Will  the ASDG  2001 be available  for the
A500 as well as the A1000?

	I  would appreciate  any help.  I want  the Amiga,  but I
might have to settle for something else. Thanks for any light you
can shed on this. I'll have to come to a decision fairly soon, as
the special that  they're running comes to an end  on Friday (I'm
typing this on Monday).

Sincerely,

				Binayak Banerjee
		{allegra | astrovax | bpa | burdvax}!sjuvax!bbanerje
			bbanerje%sjuvax.sju.edu@relay.cs.net

In article <838@sjuvax.UUCP> bbanerje@sjuvax.UUCP writes:

> The lines were perpetually busy.

	Just like the peons...

> a)  Does  anyone  know  where  I  can  purchase  an  Amiga  1000?
> preferably in the Philadelphia area? Mail order is also OK.

Try:
	Electronics Boutique
	Games and Gadgets
	  Various Malls

	Golden Hedge
	  Market Street

	Bundy Typewriter
	  Several Locations

	Software Hut
	  Broad Street

> b) What are  the expansion capabilities for the A500?  Can I bump
> it up to 2 Meg or more? Can I add an SCSI disk to it? Can I add a
> 68020/6881? I  understand that all of  this can be done  with the
> A1000, and  the A2000.

The expansion capabilities are pretty much the same for the A500 as the
A1000, however there are not that many A500 specific products available
yet.  A number of hardware developers have mentioned that they intend to
release products for the A500.

mikec@cbmvax.UUCP (Mike Colligon QA) (08/28/87)

In article <838@sjuvax.UUCP> bbanerje@sjuvax.UUCP writes:

>a)  Does  anyone  know  where  I  can  purchase  an  Amiga  1000?
>preferably in the Philadelphia area? Mail order is also OK.

Downingtown Computer has one left in stock.  Their phone number is 269-3070.
They are located about 30 miles west of Philly on route 30.

>Sincerely,
>				Binayak Banerjee
>		{allegra | astrovax | bpa | burdvax}!sjuvax!bbanerje
>			bbanerje%sjuvax.sju.edu@relay.cs.net

|  Michael Colligon                  uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!mikec    |
|  Quality Assurance Dept.           arpa: cbmvax!mikec@seismo.css.GOV         |
|  Commodore Business Machines        or   mikec@cbmvax.UUCP@{seismo|harvard}  |
| "I say we take off; nuke the site from orbit.  Its the only way to be sure." |
|                                Corporal Hicks                                |