[comp.sys.amiga] Low Memory And 'intelligent' programs

	This can get very dangerous.  For instance, if you have three
'intelligent' programs which all release memory when it gets to low, and
gets memory when it gets larger, you can get into oscillations.

	Perry, does your low memory server (which I haven't looked at yet)
handle this situation?

					-Matt

perry@well.UUCP (Perry S. Kivolowitz) (08/28/87)

In article <8708261849.AA12686@cory.Berkeley.EDU> dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:

>	This can get very dangerous.  For instance, if you have three
>'intelligent' programs which all release memory when it gets to low, and
>gets memory when it gets larger, you can get into oscillations.
>
>	Perry, does your low memory server (which I haven't looked at yet)
>handle this situation?

The Low Memory Server does not deal at all with *surplus* memory situations
but only  memory shortages.  It will notify registered client programs that
memory is short. That's all. You're completely right about the  possibility
of memory thrashing. Read on:

To answer Dave B: FaccII does  not  attempt  to recoup any of the memory it
surrenders to the system. FaccII makes some  VERY  good choices about which
buffers to give up which dramatically improves cache effectiveness over the
original Facc especially under low memory situations.

However, FaccIII will strike  out  in (still)  another direction to improve
cache effectiveness (which bears on this topic). When  FaccIII gives up say
64K it will examine cache effectiveness in  the  short  term to see if some
small incremental change would improve cache effectiveness dramatically. It
might elect to increase  the  number  of buffers by one or two but no where
near as much as it would have just  released. Therefore,  both your comment
and Matt's are covered.

Low Memory handling is in its embryonic  stage.  You can  be assured that a
great deal of  future  effort  will be invested in this area for future re-
leases of Facc. As  it stands right now, however, the method used in FaccII
is clearly superior to  some used  in  one  potential  product I have heard
about.

Wait! I feel memory closing in all around me. Wait! Stop! Ahhhhhyyyyaaah!

Perry S. Kivolowitz ASDG Incorporated - (201) 563-0529