[comp.sys.amiga] Why you haven't heard from me recently

wecker@cookie.dec.com (A wholly owned subsidiary of DEC) (08/25/87)

Sorry if you haven't heard from me in awhile. I've been informed by the legal
department of my employer that they view ANY software I release outside of the
company as a potential conflict of interest and may violate my employment
agreement. This includes software developed on weekends and evenings on my own
equipment.

There will be no further software released by me until this is cleared up.

Again, I apologize to those of you who have been waiting for code from me.

dave	USENET:	decwrl!cookie.dec.com!wecker
	ARPA:	wecker%cookie.dec.com@decwrl.dec.com
	SNAIL:	115 Palm Springs Drive, Colorado Springs CO 80921

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed are my own and in no way should be taken
	    as representative of my employer Digital Equipment Corporation.

In article <11543@decwrl.DEC.COM> wecker@cookie.dec.com (A wholly owned subsidiary of DEC) writes:
> Sorry if you haven't heard from me in awhile. I've been informed by the legal
> department of my employer that they view ANY software I release outside of the
> company as a potential conflict of interest and may violate my employment
> agreement. This includes software developed on weekends and evenings on my own
> equipment.

Oops, intersted in a job with Commodore, an equal confusion employer?  8-)

In article <11543@decwrl.DEC.COM> wecker@cookie.dec.com (A wholly owned subsidiary of DEC) writes:
>Sorry if you haven't heard from me in awhile. I've been informed by the legal
>department of [DEC] that they view ANY software I release outside of the
>company as a potential conflict of interest and may violate my employment
>agreement. This includes software developed on weekends and evenings on my own
>equipment.
>
>There will be no further software released by me until this is cleared up.

	And I thought this mish-mash with Pixar was ridiculous!  The world
is going positively looney.

	Dave, you ought to consider moving to California.  As I understand
it, employers here cannot claim title to anything you invent outside of the
workplace, on your own time, using non-company equipment.  (No legal
battles, please.  If I'm wrong and you wish to correct me, you know where my
mailbox is.)

	Now then, if history repeats itself, Richard Sexton, Keith Doyle,
and Kent Dolan (The Man from Xanth) will start boycotting DEC as well......
:-) :-) :-)

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	ihnp4!ptsfa -\
 \_ -_	 Bike shrunk by popular demand,	      dual ---> !{well,unicom}!ewhac
O----^o	 But it's still the only way to fly.  hplabs / (pronounced "AE-wack")

>In article <11543@decwrl.DEC.COM> wecker@cookie.dec.com (A wholly owned subsidiary of DEC) writes:
>Sorry if you haven't heard from me in awhile. I've been informed by the legal
>department of my employer that they view ANY software I release outside of the
>company as a potential conflict of interest and may violate my employment
>agreement. This includes software developed on weekends and evenings on my own
>equipment.

Move to California.  Though many companies will still make you sign such
employment agreements, they are not legally binding in this state.

Keith Doyle
#  {ucbvax,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd
#  cadovax!keithd@ucla-locus.arpa  Contel Business Systems 213-323-8170