[comp.sys.amiga] FaccII Information

perry@well.UUCP (Perry S. Kivolowitz) (08/25/87)

    A while back I promised to post a feature list for FaccII. Well,
since FaccII is drawing near,  now  is the  time for such a posting.
Please feel free to  cross post this  article to any bulletin boards
or conferencing system to which you may have access.

Advantages Of FaccII Over AddBuffers

    1. AddBuffers cannot make  use of  Fast Ram  for caching  floppy
       data blocks. FaccII can.

    2. AddBuffers assigns a  particular  buffer to a specific drive.
       If that drive happens not to be in heavy use then its buffers
       cannot be reused on the drive that IS being used.
       FaccII treats its buffers as part of a common pool. Using ad-
       vanced  knowledge  of the  actual structure  of a floppy file
       system and intelligent caching  algorithms FaccII allows buf-
       fers to  migrate freely  between  drives  as your work shifts
       from drive to drive.

    3. Buffers added  with  AddBuffers cannot be released. Once they
       are allocated they  cannot be deallocated until the Amiga re-
       boots.

       Buffers added with FaccII  can be  added or  released at will
       and in an exclusive new feature of FaccII, buffers can be re-
       leased  automatically  when  FaccII detects  memory shortages
       elsewhere in the system.

    4. Buffers added with  AddBuffers are  searched slowly. In fact,
       FaccII  will  search  2048  buffers in the same time that the
       operating system will search 16 AddBuffers buffers.

    5. AddBuffers buffers are managed in a strict LRU (Least Recent-
       ly  Used)  fashion  while  FaccII  actually  understands  the
       structure of a floppy file system. Even if you could allocate
       as many AddBuffers  buffers as  you  can  FaccII buffers, the

       FaccII buffers  will  be  used more efficiently by as much as
       50 percent.

    6. FaccII allows your floppy  disks  to  whiz  along  at 138,900
       bytes per  second. With AddBuffers, you simply can't allocate
       enough buffers  at  one  time to provide that kind of perfor-
       mance boost. (measured  by  DiskPerf, the  common  hard  disk
       bench mark)

New Features In FaccII

    1. FaccII is  completely  programmable  by  an external program.
       In fact, FaccII  has  no  human interface at all. FaccII once
       started will disappear completely from view unlike Facc which
       always had a window present on the workbench screen.
       At any time you please  you  can execute a FaccII user inter-
       face program (we supply  two)  from  which you can manipulate
       any FaccII parameter.

       This means you  don't  have to  have any FaccII window on the
       screen at all. It also means that the portion of FaccII which
       is resident in your memory all the time is smaller than Facc.
       This is good news  for all Amiga owners especially those with
       only Chip ram.

       This also means you  could build  a FaccII interface directly
       into your own  applications. The complete FaccII programmer's
       interface is spelled out  in great detail as part of FaccII's
       almost 200,000 bytes of documentary material.

    2. FaccII's user interface  has a complete CLI command line cap-
       ability. The original  Facc  program  had no CLI interface at
       all so all  user interactions  had to  take place through the
       windowed interface.

       Now you have your  choice.  You can use the windowed user in-
       terface or a command line  interface from your startup script
       for example.

    3. FaccII understands floppy file system structure and uses this
       knowledge to product a fifty percent more effective cache  as
       compared to the original Facc.

       For example, if you are  used to  allocating 500 buffers with
       the original Facc, your 500 buffers in FaccII will work near-
       ly as well 750 in the original Facc  (but of course will take
       up only as much space as 500 buffers).

    4. FaccII can automatically detect memory shortages elsewhere in
       your Amiga  in  a  completely operating system compatible way
       that costs no additional overhead.

       You can make  your buffer  cache as  large as you like and if
       memory should run short  elsewhere  on the system FaccII will
       automatically release a portion of its buffer cache. The best
       of both worlds! Lots of buffers and  yet lots of free memory!
       And let me stress that FaccII's method for accomplishing this
       is completely o.s. compatible and incurs no overhead and will
       work completely transparantly to any program.

    5. There is  a wealth  of new miscellaneous features such as the
       ability to  freeze the cache, dump excess cache blocks all at
       once, purge the  cache,  get accurate  free memory counts all
       the time, and really a lot more.

    6. We've  provided a  user interface which emulates the original
       Facc program for owners  of Facc who are  used to that inter-
       face.

    7. FaccII now   knows  which unit is df0: etc. The original Facc
       could not tell which  unit  was actually  which drive. FaccII
       does.

    8. There's nearly 200,000 bytes of documentary material describ-
       ing FaccII, its user  interfaces,  FaccII programming,  using
       the Low Memory Server for your own applications, installation
       and other materials.

    9. And...FaccII has the same upgrade policy as Facc. That is, if
       and when FaccIII  comes out - all  legitimate owners will re-
       ceive FaccIII at  next  to  no  cost at all (just postage and
       handling).

       Notice I said ``if  and when''  there  is a FaccIII. Facc was
       pirated heavily.  If  this happens  again there just won't be
       any incentive  to  produce  yet  another quality product at a
       quality price. The only copy protection we can employ is your
       good will. We hope that that's effective.

How To Upgrade

    Send in a stamped  self addressed mailer including your original
    Facc disk. We  will put the new product on your old disk so make
    sure your original disk is in its original condition. No upgrad-
    es can be  made  if  you don't include the original disk and the
    stamped self  addressed mailer.  This,  unfortunately,  must  be
    strictly enforced.

How To Purchase FaccII

    FaccII will be  available at your local dealers for those of you
    who don't yet own  Facc. It's  suggested retail price is $34.95.
    We would be happy to supply the product direct from us. Also, we
    have been known to  put together  attractive  pricing  for group
    purchases.

    Dealers and distributors are invited to share  in the success of
    THE disk caching system for the Amiga. Our dealer and distribut-
    or terms are quite liberal.

    We can be reached at:

    ASDG Incorporated
    280 River Rd Suite 54A
    Piscataway N.J. 08854
    (201) 563-0529

    Cheers!
              Perry S. Kivolowitz
	      President, ASDG Incorporated

daveb@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Berezowski) (08/26/87)

Perry writes:
>    4. FaccII can automatically detect memory shortages elsewhere in
>       your Amiga  in  a  completely operating system compatible way
>       that costs no additional overhead.
>
>       You can make  your buffer  cache as  large as you like and if
>       memory should run short  elsewhere  on the system FaccII will
>       automatically release a portion of its buffer cache. The best
>       of both worlds! Lots of buffers and  yet lots of free memory!
>       And let me stress that FaccII's method for accomplishing this
>       is completely o.s. compatible and incurs no overhead and will
>       work completely transparantly to any program.

	Once FaccII has given up some of its memory due to low memory
conditions, does it ever try to get the memory back under high memory
conditions.  Do you see the problem here?  You start out with lots of memory
for FaccII but due to low memory conditions it frees up a lot of its
memory.  Later when the system releases the memory it took, FaccII
doesn't get it back.

ain@s.cc.purdue.edu (Patrick White) (08/27/87)

In article <3816@well.UUCP> perry@well.UUCP (Perry S. Kivolowitz) writes:

 >    4. FaccII can automatically detect memory shortages elsewhere in
 >       your Amiga  in  a  completely operating system compatible way
 >       that costs no additional overhead.
 >
 >       You can make  your buffer  cache as  large as you like and if
 >       memory should run short  elsewhere  on the system FaccII will
 >       automatically release a portion of its buffer cache. The best
 >       of both worlds! Lots of buffers and  yet lots of free memory!
 >       And let me stress that FaccII's method for accomplishing this
 >       is completely o.s. compatible and incurs no overhead and will
 >       work completely transparantly to any program.

   Can anybody enlighten me as to how this was accomplished?  Sounds like
it might be nice to put this in some of my programs.  Thanks.

-- Pat White
UUCP: s.cc.purdue.edu!ain
BITNET:	PATWHITE@PURCCVM
U.S.  Mail:  320 Brown St. apt. 406,    West Lafayette, IN 47906

lishka@uwslh.UUCP (Christopher Lishka) (08/27/87)

	Bravo!  I'm gonna have to rush out and buy a copy as soon as
possible!  (That should be when I buy my own Amiga, which I hope is
real soon!)  Also, because these guys are being *very* kind with both
their ugrade policy and copy-protection (i.e. lack of...), I urge all
Amiga owners to try and convince would be or known pirates to go out
and *buy* this product, and support a company that is out to help
their customers...even it means them not being able to live off the
lack of profits from piracy.  Once again, BRAVO!

					-Chris
--
Chris Lishka                    /lishka@uwslh.uucp
Wisconsin State Lab of Hygiene <-lishka%uwslh.uucp@rsch.wisc.edu

perry@well.UUCP (Perry S. Kivolowitz) (08/29/87)

In article <821@s.cc.purdue.edu> ain@s.cc.purdue.edu.UUCP (Patrick White) writes:
>In article <3816@well.UUCP> perry@well.UUCP (Perry S. Kivolowitz) writes:
> >
> >    4. FaccII can automatically detect memory shortages elsewhere in
> >       your Amiga  in  a  completely operating system compatible way
> >       that costs no additional overhead.
>
>   Can anybody enlighten me as to how this was accomplished?  Sounds like
>it might be nice to put this in some of my programs.  Thanks.
>-- Pat White

I posted the ASDG  Low Memory  Server  to usenet some time ago. It is
available on a Fish Disk as well (either out already or coming soon).
It can also be found on P*link (think) and certainly CIS.

I can answer any questions  you might have about it here or by email.

The posting also includes a description of the licensing procedure to
include the Low Memory Server in commercial products.

Perry Kivolowitz - ASDG Incorporated - (201) 563-0529