[comp.sys.amiga] Floppy cable

kent@xanth.UUCP (Kent Paul Dolan) (08/30/87)

While the subject is passing by, what possessed CA Engineering to
build the model 1010 3.5" floppy disk drive with a cable that only
allows it to be set down flat to the right hand side of the system?
Rotten human engineering has to include ignoring the left handed
universe!  Six inches more cable would have made it usable on either
side.

I now have a drive to the left of my Amiga 1000, but only because I
set it up on edge.  This prevented me from stacking my modem and phone
on top of it, as was the case when the whole mish-mash was to the
right of the system.  (I'm NOT left handed, but I needed to wrap
cables around some bookcase blocks to keep a new kitten from chewing
on them, and everything ended up moved left.)

Inquiring minds want to know.

Kent, the man from xanth.

jdow@gryphon.CTS.COM (Joanne Dow) (08/31/87)

In article <2297@xanth.UUCP> kent@xanth.UUCP (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:

>While the subject is passing by, what possessed CA Engineering to
>build the model 1010 3.5" floppy disk drive with a cable that only
>allows it to be set down flat to the right hand side of the system?
>Rotten human engineering has to include ignoring the left handed
>universe!  Six inches more cable would have made it usable on either
>side.
>
>I now have a drive to the left of my Amiga 1000, but only because I
>set it up on edge.  This prevented me from stacking my modem and phone
>on top of it, as was the case when the whole mish-mash was to the
>right of the system.  (I'm NOT left handed, but I needed to wrap
>cables around some bookcase blocks to keep a new kitten from chewing
>on them, and everything ended up moved left.)
>
>Inquiring minds want to know.
>
>Kent, the man from xanth.

I guess I'm crazy or something. Ihave my SONY mnitor to the right of my Amiga.
The 5.25" drives stand vertically on the right of the Amiga. The VENTEL modem
in the center with the Supra on top of that. (When I use transformer - which
I just this weekend discovered handles Turbo-C - I stack that 5.25" precariously
on top of the Supra. On the far left - outa reach almost - is a roll top box
for 50 or so 3.5" disks. (Now what do I do with the 150 5.25"ers and the
remaining 100 or so 3.5"? <SIGH> ) I have a typwriter pad in the keyboard well
extending out to make a king size mouse pad. (Unfortunately it stays kinda
dluttered so not much of it is useful.) Anyway - the odd thing here is that I
am right handed; but, for most stuff I like to use the mouse lefty style.

Anyway - I find this arrangement's much more convenient than the monitor on top
that I use at conventions when I'm demoing Amy. (Anyone gonna be at NASFiC
next weekend? I'llhave Amy there. (That's North American Science Fiction
Convention in Phoenix.)) and one more for LISPphiles )

--
<@_@>
	BIX:jdow

Remember - A bird in the hand often leaves a sticky deposit. Perhaps it was
better you left it in the bush with the other one.