[comp.sys.amiga] Digi-View tips?

nschultz@polyslo.UUCP (Ned W Schultz) (08/19/87)

Have any of you folks using Digi-View cooked up a simple solution
allowing you to plug into the Amiga monitor and the "dongle" at the
same time (a switch of some sort?)?  I've looked at the solutions
in the manual, but seem to remember mention of a simpler approach
posted here in the past.

Also, would be interested in hearing about lighting set-ups.  What
types and sizes of bulbs are you using with success?  I have the
copy stand.

Lastly, has anyone had success taking images from laserdisk or other
external sources?  If so, I'd appreciate hearing about that.

Thanks for all the help!

Ned Schultz      Psychology Dept.             polyslo!nschultz
                 Cal Poly St. Univ.
                 San Luis Obispo, CA  93407

kim@amdahl.UUCP (08/30/87)

In article <414@polyslo.UUCP>, nschultz@polyslo.UUCP (Ned W Schultz) writes:
> Have any of you folks using Digi-View cooked up a simple solution
> allowing you to plug into the Amiga monitor and the "dongle" at the
> same time (a switch of some sort?)?  I've looked at the solutions
> in the manual, but seem to remember mention of a simpler approach
> posted here in the past.

I've been using an "Antenna/Cable Switch" for some time without noticing
any degradation in the digitized images (the insertion loss claimed was
"less than 1/2 db", as I recall).  The unit I'm using was obtained from
a "home improvement store", and was $5-$7.  The manufacturer is Electricord,
but I imagine there are many other comparable units.

You also need a couple of short (2'-3') 75 ohm cables, preferably with
the correct type of connector on each end (both the Digi-View and the
1080 Amiga monitor use RCA phono-jacks, and the switch I'm using has
type-F connectors on input and outputs).  If you cannot find the correct
combination of connectors, there are a variety of adaptors available that
can get you there, but bear in mind that each adaptor in the signal-path
will introduce some loss.

You *may* need to trim the length of the center conductor of the cable
that you're plugging into the Digi-View box.  Some phono-plugs are pretty
long, and cause the plug to "stand-out" from the box, preventing a good
shield connection.  This is thanks to the potting compound that NewTek
uses to hide it's circuitry from inquiring minds.

With this setup, just plug one output from the video switch into the 1080,
and the other into the Digi-View ... the input of course goes to the video
source (camera, VCR, etc.)

In use, just throw the 1080's Video Mode switch to COMPosit, and flick the
video switch to the output headed for the 1080 monitor, and your're looking
at the video source.  Make any adjustments (focus, lighting, composition,
whatever), and then flip both switches (1080 to RGB, video to Digi-View
side), and digitize away!

Don't try using a "splitter" in place of the video switch, as such devices
can drop the output signal by 3 db's or so (db's are logrithmic ... a 3 db
drop is really a 50% drop in power).  This may be enough to significantly
degrade the quality of the digitized image, since the Digi-View itself does
no amplification of the incomming signal.

Another posibility is to use a splitter/amplifier so the outputs are (at
least) as hot as the input.  I haven't tried this ... a switch is alot
cheaper, but I'd be interested in hearing how this works out WRT image
quality, from anybody who has.

> Lastly, has anyone had success taking images from laserdisk or other
> external sources?  If so, I'd appreciate hearing about that.

Sure!  I feed the output of my VHS VCR into the Digi-View all the time
(it's a Cannon VR-HF600, and has a ROCK-soild freeze-frame).  Of course,
you can only get a b/w digitization at present, though NewTek has another
"little box" in development that will provide the electronic equivalent
of the R, G, and B filters, so color digitization from such sources will
be possible in the (hopefully) near future.  I think this box (which has
been called Digi-FX) will provide some other tricks as well.

At one point, I was going to develop such a circuit myself, but I decided
to wait for the NewTek device due to the considerable amount of analog
support circuitry needed (filters, synch-seperation, etc.)  The heart of
such an electronic RGB filter can be designed using parts like Moto's TDA3330
TV Color Processor, and MC1377 Color Encoder ... see their specs/app notes
if you're interested.

Even without color capability from such a source, you can get some interesting
effects.  Try digitizing a frame in red, and then advancing a few frames and
digitizing in blue.  Depending on the amount of motion between the two frames,
you can get a psuedo-3D effect when you combine the red and blue frames, and
view it thru red and blue "3D glasses" (sort of, anyway).

Also try digitizing completely different scenes in red, blue, and green, and
then combining them for a "ghosted collage" effect.  And of course, you can
colorize these images using Digi-View itself, as well as Digi-Paint, DPaint,
etc.

Another fun thing to play with is to leave the VCR running, and digitize
while the image is in motion.  You can get some interesting blurs, smears,
and so forth.  Great stuff!

/kim

--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ihnp4,seismo,oliveb,cbosgd}!amdahl!kim

In article <13298@amdahl.amdahl.com> kim@amdahl.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) writes:
>Even without color capability from such a source, you can get some interesting
>effects.  Try digitizing a frame in red, and then advancing a few frames and
>digitizing in blue.  Depending on the amount of motion between the two frames,
>you can get a psuedo-3D effect when you combine the red and blue frames, and
>view it thru red and blue "3D glasses" (sort of, anyway).

	If you want to do this right, and get some *excellent* 3D out of
DigiView (I've been doing a lot of this of late), try this:

	Focus your camera on a still real-life object.  Digitize it.  Now,
without adjusting any of the DigiView parameters, move the camera about 2.5
inches to the left or right, making absolutely sure to keep it focused at
the same place.  Then, digitize again.

	You now have a stereo pair.  Viewing it is your problem (although
we'll be addressing this problem shortly with a 3D Experimenter's Kit for
the Amiga).

	There are other techniques for making your 3D pair look really good,
but I don't want to give too much away.  We've gotta give you *some* reason
to buy the kit........		:-)

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	ihnp4!ptsfa -\
 \_ -_	 Bike shrunk by popular demand,	      dual ---> !{well,unicom}!ewhac
O----^o	 But it's still the only way to fly.  hplabs / (pronounced "AE-wack")