[comp.sys.amiga] Wordperfect bug.

CRONEJP@UREGINA1.BITNET (08/26/87)

Has anyone else seen this???
I was running word perfect today and went to invoke the
SPELL program from Workbench....
Mr Guru....
so, thinking that it was the Cltd harddrive screwing another thing
up.... i fired up WP on a A 2000, and invoked SPELL
Guru.
tried it on a A500...
Guru..

then thinking. well maybe there is not enough stack...
I gave the thing a stacksize of 12000....
Guru.

I was getting a little annoyed so I tried it from CLI
and this time got the wierd message to end all weird  messages
"SPELL returned errorcode 65535"
but no guru.....
incidently...
the guru was 00000000B.0021f78 on the A500
the a1000 and a2000 generated similar errors. (diff memory
addresses tho....

has anyone seen this???

And of course the big question is how did this get past them???

Jonathan Crone

<CRONEJP@UREGINA1>

Awwww.... Come on, you REALLY are interested in what I'm saying??
I must be dreaming....

(incidently, my end messages are intended to be ironic....)  :-)

In article <7CRONEJP@UREGINA1> CRONEJP@UREGINA1.BITNET writes:
 #Has anyone else seen this???
 #I was running word perfect today and went to invoke the
 #SPELL program from Workbench....
 # Mr Guru....
 #I was getting a little annoyed so I tried it from CLI
 #and this time got the wierd message to end all weird  messages
 #"SPELL returned errorcode 65535"
 # but no Mr. Guru.....

This sounds a lot like the Deluxe Music construction set bug. Basically
the programmer leaves a printf() call in their code and when the program
is started from workbench there is no 'Stdin' or 'Stdout' and so the
program bombs. I sure hope we can get this changed in 1.3. I will submit
it as a request for enhancement on BIX.

--Chuck McManis

ler@pnet02.CTS.COM (Larry Rosenman) (08/29/87)

CRONEJP@UREGINA1.BITNET writes:
>Has anyone else seen this???
>I was running word perfect today and went to invoke the
>SPELL program from Workbench....
>Mr Guru....
>so, thinking that it was the Cltd harddrive screwing another thing
>up.... i fired up WP on a A 2000, and invoked SPELL
>Guru.
>tried it on a A500...
>Guru..
>
>then thinking. well maybe there is not enough stack...
>I gave the thing a stacksize of 12000....
>Guru.
>
>I was getting a little annoyed so I tried it from CLI
>and this time got the wierd message to end all weird  messages
>"SPELL returned errorcode 65535"
>but no guru.....
>incidently...
>the guru was 00000000B.0021f78 on the A500
>the a1000 and a2000 generated similar errors. (diff memory
>addresses tho....
>
>has anyone seen this???
>
>And of course the big question is how did this get past them???
>

>Jonathan Crone
>
><CRONEJP@UREGINA1>
>
>Awwww.... Come on, you REALLY are interested in what I'm saying??
>I must be dreaming....
>
>(incidently, my end messages are intended to be ironic....)  :-)

Yes I have seen this, and reported it to their 800 Support number.  They are
working on a fix for it.  MEANTIME I would not use that program.  (Did You
notice the spelling errors on the Menu strips?)

Call their 800 number (800) 321-5906 to get further information, and SUPER
support.

--
Larry Rosenman
INTERNET:     ler@pnet02.CTS.COM

jacobson@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (08/31/87)

I have had my wordperfect for about a week and a half, and although I have
found minor annoying bugs, have never had any problem with the speller
working. You say you started it from workbench. What do you mean by that
statement?? I start my speller from the wordperfect menu with a document loaded
in the document window of the program. I invoke my speller from the pull
down menu only with a document loaded. Is that what you mean by "invoking from
the workbench"???? If so then you must have an earlier copy than mine. I have
never experienced that bug.

higgin@cbmvax.UUCP (08/31/87)

in article <7CRONEJP@UREGINA1>, CRONEJP@UREGINA1.BITNET says:
> Has anyone else seen this???
> I was running word perfect today and went to invoke the
> SPELL program from Workbench....
> Mr Guru....
> I was getting a little annoyed so I tried it from CLI
> and this time got the wierd message to end all weird  messages
> "SPELL returned errorcode 65535"
> but no guru.....
> Jonathan Crone

If you boot the supplied WordPerfect disk, it boots a CLI which it puts
a little message into saying "Don't end this CLI" or something similar.

That's because "loadwb" executes from a CLI that disappears usually, and
I think this causes problems when programs from Workbench try to CreateProc
(i.e., load the Spell program) because there's no CLI attached to the
WorkBench, or the program booted from WorkBench (i.e., WordPerfect).

So, leave the initial CLI open, or do what I do... at the end of my
startup-sequence, I start another small CLI, which in turn does the
"loadwb" so that the WorkBench still has an associated CLI.  (There's
a bug in there somewhere!)

end of startup-sequence...
	newcli con:10/10/200/100/Tiny-CLI from s:startup-newcli
	endcli > nil:

startup-newcli
	loadwb

		Paul.

Disclaimer: Since I am not working in the system software group, the above
could be totally wrong.  My opinions do not represent the company in this
message.

gary@eddie.MIT.EDU (Gary Samad) (09/03/87)

In article <26826@sun.uucp> cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) writes:
}
}This sounds a lot like the Deluxe Music construction set bug. Basically
}the programmer leaves a printf() call in their code and when the program
}is started from workbench there is no 'Stdin' or 'Stdout' and so the
}program bombs. I sure hope we can get this changed in 1.3. I will submit
}it as a request for enhancement on BIX.
}

By the way, this is only a bug if you use the Lattice compiler.  Manx
is nice enough to notice that stdin and stdout don't exist and simply
eat the msg.

	Gary