[comp.sys.amiga] resources

ugpete@sunybcs.UUCP (05/04/87)

<lines, lines, they're good for your heart, >
< the more you eat the more you fart        >

	I don't know about all of you, but I'm sick of filling out
structures, and sick of including tons of hex data for images etc...
	I would love to see the resource manager that people have
been talking about extended to allow the following:

	I want to draw images with dpaint, or Aegis Images, and save
them as brushes, windows, what-have-you. I want to design menus with
a menu editor (like a font editor, or icon editor) and the same with
any other major structures. Then I want to reference these structures
from C without including them in the source file, just link them in
with my program.
	Maybe the resource editors will save these as hunks or something.
I don't know enough about the load-files to know how this would work, but
I do know what a time & error saver this would be!

note: I know about brush-to-bob and power-windows etc... but including
the stuff with your source file slows down the compile. All I am asking
for is a way for brush-to-bob and power-windows style programs to output
ready-to-link files.
			Peter Theobald

SUNY/Buffalo Computer Science
csnet:	ugpete@buffalo.CSNET
uucp:	..!{nike|watmath,alegra,decvax}!sunybcs!ugpete
BITNET:	ugpete@sunybcs.BITNET

john13@garfield.UUCP (05/05/87)

In article <3270@sunybcs.UUCP>, ugpete@sunybcs (Peter Theobald) writes:
> note: I know about brush-to-bob and power-windows etc... but including
> the stuff with your source file slows down the compile. All I am asking
> for is a way for brush-to-bob and power-windows style programs to output
> ready-to-link files.

Sounds good. But you have to keep in mind that the state of your menus,
gadgets, borders et al may very well keep changing, and you may spend as
much time re-creating these linkable files as you save on compiles. At
least with a "windows.h" file you can change flags, positioning, etc with
no more than a quick edit.

I know of one person doing something like this; I think though that
his method would function something like an IFF picture load routine, only
for Intuition resources. It shouldn't be hard to adapt that sort of an
output file into a data hunk, either as an option in a "resource editor"
or through a post-processor.

John

mjb@pnet02.UUCP (09/01/87)

Amiga software developers please make your programs multi-tasking. The only
programs that don't have to be are the ones 9.5megs in size! (Are you
listening, makers of Chessmaster?!!). Also, don't "capture" resources before
or after their needed, who needs a telcomm program that hogs the serial port
when it's not dialing or maintaining a connection! C'mon guys! Sheesh!
                      - Martin Brown -  mjb PNET

UUCP: {ihnp4!crash, hplabs!hp-sdd!crash}!gryphon!pnet02!mjb
INET: mjb@pnet02.CTS.COM

jdow@gryphon.UUCP (09/01/87)

In article <1394@gryphon.CTS.COM> mjb@pnet02.CTS.COM (Martin Brown) writes:
>Amiga software developers please make your programs multi-tasking. The only
>programs that don't have to be are the ones 9.5megs in size! (Are you
>listening, makers of Chessmaster?!!). Also, don't "capture" resources before
>or after their needed, who needs a telcomm program that hogs the serial port
>when it's not dialing or maintaining a connection! C'mon guys! Sheesh!
>                      - Martin Brown -  mjb PNET

Martin, there are a lot of times I wish a modem program to speak to the serial
port when I am not dialing or connected. Such a time is when I am manually
setting modem parameters for a test, setting new baud rates (ya have to tell
it by sending a few characters on ost units), or when waiting for a call back.

Basically i don't mind haveing a modem program that hogs the port. On the other
tentacle i suppose it would be nice to have a modem program with a little
requester box that'd free the serial port until it was clicked on. ie. let there
be no automatic disconnect from the serial port; but, allow me as the user the
option of disconnecting entirely under my control wihout exiting the program.

--
<@_@>
	BIX:jdow

Remember - A bird in the hand often leaves a sticky deposit. Perhaps it was
better you left it in the bush with the other one.

dillon@cory.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (09/02/87)

>Amiga software developers please make your programs multi-tasking. The only
>programs that don't have to be are the ones 9.5megs in size! (Are you
>listening, makers of Chessmaster?!!). Also, don't "capture" resources before
>or after their needed, who needs a telcomm program that hogs the serial port
>when it's not dialing or maintaining a connection! C'mon guys! Sheesh!
>                      - Martin Brown -  mjb PNET

	There have been a few instances when I've wanted to bring up more than
one terminal program at once, and I admit that perhaps adding a command to
close/reopen the serial.device to my own terminal program would be a good
idea.  However, I don't think it would be a good idea to have it automatic
(For instance, you want to receive connections while away).

	Do you mean "support multi-tasking" ?? or that we should make the
programs out of lots of little tasks??  As far as support goes, I agree
completely... I refuse to use any program which takes over my Amiga (except
for a few games).

	There are many 'hidden' features of multitasking not readily
apparent.  Asyncronous IO, for instance.  Not only is DOS capable of this
(XFIO), but all EXEC devices as well.  Since Asyncronous IO is inherent in
EXEC devices most programmers take advantage of it without having to think
about it.

					-Matt

rouaix@inria.UUCP (Francois Rouaix) (09/02/87)

In article <1394@gryphon.CTS.COM>, mjb@pnet02.CTS.COM (Martin Brown) writes:
> Amiga software developers please make your programs multi-tasking. The only
> programs that don't have to be are the ones 9.5megs in size! (Are you
> listening, makers of Chessmaster?!!). Also, don't "capture" resources before

It seemed to me that ChessMaster was OK. All you have to do is get the
Workbench in front if you want to run another application.

*- Francois Rouaix                    /       When the going gets tough,      *
*- USENET:rouaix@inria.inria.fr     \/            the guru goes meditating... *

mjb@pnet02.CTS.COM (Martin Brown) (09/04/87)

Joanne, good points. And just as long as I can get a port freed I'm happy,
flexibilty is where it's at.    - Martin Brown -

UUCP: {ihnp4!crash, hplabs!hp-sdd!crash}!gryphon!pnet02!mjb
INET: mjb@pnet0respot non