[comp.sys.amiga] Problem with JTIME

guilford@csv.rpi.edu (Jim Guilford) (09/01/87)

[]

I recently built "JTIME: a Real-Time Clock for the Amiga" by Micharl Keryan.
It is a clock/calendar that plugs into the second joystick port. The plans
and description came on an amiga disk (I forget where I got the original
from. It might have been a fish disk or a BBS, but I can't recall). It is
based around the RTC58321 clock/calendar chip by SaRonix. I ordered the chip
from Jameco, who give the part number as MSM58321RS.

After wiring up a small circuit board, I inspected it and tested it. It
didn't work. I pulled the chips, did some more testing, and found a short
between two wires, I fixed that, repopulated the board, and plugged it in. I
found that I could read and write the date/time with no problem, but that
the time was not advancing. It seemed to be doing a good job of emulating a
battery backed up slice of ram!

I am looking for help and/or suggestions on what may be wrong. Here are my
observations. I don't think I trashed any of the chips as I can successfully
read and write to the clock/calandar. My schematics give the 58321 five
unconnected pins: 10, 11, 12, 14, and 15. My voltmeter gives one of the pins
(I can't recall which, but I think it was 14) either an intermediate level
voltage, or a time varying voltage, I can't tell which. I am wondering if
some caps or resistors are missing, or whether I'm supposed to feed back a
clock signal back into the chip someplace. Unfortunately, I haven't been
able to come up with a spec sheet for the chip.

I thought that maybe the MSM58321RS might not be a RTC58321, but it seems to
work quite well other than counting. This is quite a coincidence unless it
is design to clone the RTC, but with some extra features or bugs.

The RTC is supposed to have an internal trimed and sealed quartz crystal,
and the schematics show no external analog components (e.g. resistors or
caps).

Does anyone out there in Netland have any clue as to what is going on? The
chip is semi-expensive (and Jameco's minimum order is $20), so I don't want
to order a new chip and find out that nothing changed. I decided to rough it
out and build it myself to save some money.

To avoid cluttering the net, I would appreciate it if you would email any
replies to me.  Of course, if there is enough interest, I will summarize the
results to the net.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer me. I am . . .

Jim Guilford
guilford@csv.rpi.edu              or          ...seismo!rpics!guilford

mikec@cbmvax.UUCP (Mike Colligon QA) (09/02/87)

To Jim Guilford and anyone else with a similar problem with JTIME or any battery
backed up clock for the Amiga 1000.  You are not alone!  I had exactly the same
problem using TIC from Byte-by-Byte.  I could save the system time and date to
TIC and I could load the time and date from TIC, but the time and date were
always the same as when I saved it.  Sounds like an strange coincidence that to
different products have the same problem.  I wonder how close the two designs
are?

My fix for the problem may not work for you.  I put TIC back in the box and said
"I'll wait for the A2000!" :-)

I'm sorry I have no real solution for the problem.  How about some input from
other TIC owners and JTIME builders?

|  Michael Colligon                  uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!mikec    |
|  Quality Assurance Dept.           arpa: cbmvax!mikec@seismo.css.GOV         |
|  Commodore Business Machines        or   mikec@cbmvax.UUCP@{seismo|harvard}  |
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| "I say we take off; nuke the site from orbit.  Its the only way to be sure." |
|                                Corporal Hicks                                |

schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein MAGAZINES) (09/03/87)

In article <2290@cbmvax.UUCP> mikec@cbmvax.UUCP (Mike Colligon QA) writes:

>I'm sorry I have no real solution for the problem.  How about some input from
>other TIC owners and JTIME builders?
       ^^^ ^^^^^
  I have had a TIC since Winter CES (Jan of 87) and it has performed just fine
 on both of my A1000's, it has also worked fine on 2 A1000's w/Sidecar that
 I tried it with. I have since updated one of my A1000's with an "INSIDER"
 1 Meg memory / battery clock - calander and that also keeps correct time.
 The TIC is still ticking (ha ha ha) away on my other A1000 just like new.

>--
>|  Michael Colligon                  uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!mikec    |

|  Commodore Business Machines						     |
|  1200 Wilson Drive               uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!schein   |
|  West Chester, PA 19380          arpa: cbmvax!schein@seismo.css.GOV        |
|  (215) 431-9100 x9542            or    schein@cbmvax.UUCP@{seismo|harvard} |
|   All spelling mistakes are a result of my efforts to avoid education :-)  |
|  Quote: Those who worked the hardest         Gary Ward - Oklahoma State    |
|	   are the last to surrender                       baseball coach    |

In article <30@rpicsb8> guilford@csv.rpi.edu (Jim Guilford) writes:
> []
>
> I recently built "JTIME: a Real-Time Clock for the Amiga" by Micharl Keryan.
> It is a clock/calendar that plugs into the second joystick port. The plans
> and description came on an amiga disk (I forget where I got the original
> from. It might have been a fish disk or a BBS, but I can't recall). It is
> based around the RTC58321 clock/calendar chip by SaRonix. I ordered the chip
> from Jameco, who give the part number as MSM58321RS.
>
> After wiring up a small circuit board, I inspected it and tested it. It
> didn't work. I pulled the chips, did some more testing, and found a short
> between two wires, I fixed that, repopulated the board, and plugged it in. I
> found that I could read and write the date/time with no problem, but that
> the time was not advancing. It seemed to be doing a good job of emulating a
> battery backed up slice of ram!

I suspect that the RTC58321 is a hybrid package containing an OKI MSM5831
clock chip and a watch crystal, if not a battery.  Since the OKI chip you
got from Jameco needs an external watch crystal, the board just sits there
looking stupid.

Solution:  check out the JTIME info more carefully and either add a watch
crystal or get hold of the saronix part.  Sometime the people who cook up
these projects get carried away and forget to use least common denominator
parts that are easy to find.