[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga Flight Sim 1.1 - The Details

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (08/30/87)

In article <70@citcom.UUCP> jack@citcom.UUCP (Jack Waugh) writes:
>A new version of Flight Stimulator, eh?  Have they repaired
>any of the bugs, such as runway stripes proceeding off at
>some crazy angle rather than down the runway (at many air-
>ports; [list of lots of bugs]

Here's a summary of what the flyer I got about 10 days ago says:

New features
------------
Digital and analog joysticks supported.
In multi player mode, you can set the ADF needle to lock on to the other plane.
Distance to the other plane can be displayed.
The program is no longer copy protected.  It will run from a hard disk or ram.

Bug fixes
---------
Fuel consumption is more realistic.
Change in map zooming allows viewing a much larger area.
All San Francisco ILS approaches now function correctly.

Various
-------
The upgrade is free.  Just send your 1.0 disk to Sublogic, ATTN: PROGRAM
UPGRADE.  Sublogic says that they are gradually going to drop copy protection
on all of it's products.  They want users to be able to backup software
and use hard disks, and they feel the market is now more mature and doesn't
condone copying the way that it used to.  Sublogic will continue to produce
products for 8 bit machines.  Sublogic is in the process of digitizing
large areas of Western Europe for a European scenery disk to be released
later this year.  Flight sim II for the COCO 3 will be released Sept 15.
Sublogic now has a Software Guide, "this beautiful twelve page four-color
collector's item (suitable for framing!) is ready for mailing".  It's
free for the asking.

Main address
------------
subLOGIC Corporation
713 Edgebrook Drive
Champaign IL 61820

Phone
-----
Information & Order Line: (800) 637-4983
Illinois: (217) 359-8482

Problems
--------
Contact the office of Stu Moment, Chairman

Personal note:  I've called subLOGIC in the past, and they've been very
nice and very helpful, like ASDG.  They make a good product at a reasonable
price so please don't rip them off.  They've been sending me newsletters
ever since I sent in my registration.  I asked them recently when JET would
be out, and they said it had been moved back to the fall because they
were having problems.  Damn!  (Don't they KNOW that every Amiga owner in
existence will immediately break every speed limit to rush to the store and
buy JET????) I have no affiliation with subLOGIC or ASDG except as a satisfied
customer.

Sean

--
--  Sean Casey                    sean@ms.uky.edu,    {uunet,cbosgd}!ukma!sean
--  (the Empire guy)              sean@ms.uky.csnet,  sean@UKMA.BITNET

hull@hao.UUCP (09/01/87)

About a month and a half ago I purchased the #11 scenery disk.  Like the #7
scenery disk I bought before that, it would not load in accordance with the
instructions in the manual.  In the case of the #7 disk, I was able to figure
out what the instructions should have said and get the thing running.  In the
case of the #11 disk I was not able to figure out what to do.  I asked the
dealer if he knew of or heard of anything.  He said that his distributor told
him that the #11 disk "might not work with earlier versions of SubLOGIC FS II."
I had version 1.00 initially.  After encountering the problem, I purchased a
second copy (I have two Amiga 1000s, so two disks and (more importantly) the
associated documentation would be beneficial).  The second purchase turned out
to be V1.01 according to the boot window.  It also would not work with scenery
disk #11.  Not only that, but none of the SF ILS approaches worked with it,
either: just like V1.00 (they changed some of the things in the WWII ace mode).
The dealer recommended that I send the V1.00 disk back to SubLOGIC with the
required $5 for "Failed media exchange".  I checked the manual, and it said
that I could do this, and that "If you wish to return a defective disk, please
return the media only.  We have established an efficient and very fast repair/
replacement system which promises long-run benefits to you.  Returning the
manual will complicate the system and will raise shipping costs."  Feeling
somewhat secure in having sent in the registration card for the V1.00 version
shortly after purchase, and in having in hand (at my expense) V1.01 for use
in the mean time, on July 20th I took V1.00 to the post office and dispached
it by first class mail.

Yesterday (August 31) I came home to find a new FS II disk from SubLOGIC.
This one was V1.1 and the SF area ILS was still was out of order - it seemed
better than V1.0x but when set to autopilot lock would fly me out north of
the Oakland airport and switch to OFF.  I haven't had time to plumb the gory
details yet.  What was distracting was a note explaining how to upgrade V1.00
and V1.01 to V1.1 by transferring files off the Scenery Disk!  I checked BOTH
of my scenery disks, and found only one file on each disk - none of the update
files mentioned were present on my SDs.  There was also a warning that if I
had a V1.1 disk I should not use this procedure, as it would regress the disk
to an earlier version.  So there I was again - I had instructions, but in the
reality of things, the instructions did not apply to the environment.  I had
no way to upgrade my V1.01 disk without the SD update files.

Also yesterday - a work associate brought in a pamphlet SubLOGIC sent him
which had the content described in the referenced net articles.  In spite
of the fact that I sent in my registrations, they have not sent one to me.
That pamphlet says you can NOW get V1.2 free for the asking.  If that's really
the case, how come SubLOGIC sent me a V1.1 within the last few days?  I would
suggest to anyone that there are cracks in SubLOGIC's armor.  I recommend that
you call them to get the latest information, AND get the name of an individual
to whom you can send your disk, preferably an individual who has discussed the
situation with you.  It might not hurt to use registered mail with return
reciept, as well.  I was rather worried by the time their "efficient" system
finally coughed up a disk as a result of my paid inquiry...

Anybody else had any similar experiences?
						Best Regards,   Howard Hull
[If yet unproven concepts are outlawed in the range of discussion...
                 ...Then only the deranged will discuss yet unproven concepts]
	{ucbvax!hplabs | decvax!noao | mcvax!seismo | ihnp4!seismo} !hao!hull
	for domain mailers: hull@hao.ucar.edu

hull@hao.UUCP (09/02/87)

>                         So there I was again - I had instructions, but in the
> reality of things, the instructions did not apply to the environment.  I had
> no way to upgrade my V1.01 disk without the SD update files.
I've since found out that the V1.1 FS II *is* the new upgrade, and it is not
copy protected.  So, hypothetically I can just copy it to my V1.01 disk.

> Also yesterday - a work associate brought in a pamphlet SubLOGIC sent him
He gave me the pamphlet, and when I got home this evening, I read it, and
found what I mentioned above.  In my previous article, I said:
> That pamphlet says you can NOW get V1.2 free for the asking.
No it didn't.  It said you can NOW get FS II V1.1 for AmigaDOS V1.2 free for
the asking; sorry about that...

I also spent a little more time checking out the SF area ILS approaches.  They
are indeed much improved.  The Oakland 11 approach is flakey beyond 22.8 miles.
You get the "TO" indicator, but if you fly the needles you will be off course.
(It starts to work once you pass over Mt. Tamalpias inbound.)  I suppose that
there is no guarantee that the ILS would be ok more than a few miles out from
the outer marker anyway.  I don't have a current Jep copy of that approach, so
I don't know how close to the outer marker the feed is.  As I said before, the
Autopilot will not work with the localizer (if I remember right, it is usually
ok to engage the autopilot after you get established on the climbout from a
missed approach in a real airplane (prior to taking vectors or setting up a
heading to the recovery VOR).  It's also usually ok to use the autopilot on a
real airplane instrument approach while inbound to the outer marker - but
better disengage it once the glide slope bar starts to drop away from the top.)
So I suppose I don't remember if that feature worked ok with V1.01 - I never
use the autopilot in instrument landing practice as a rule - it's just a good
way to check out the Nav gear...  But evidently not with FS II!

michael@stb.UUCP (Michael) (09/04/87)

In article <7191@g.ms.uky.edu> sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:
>The program is no longer copy protected.  It will run from a hard disk or ram.

Here's the $32 (or however much it costs) question: Did they fix it so that
exit/quit will not require rebooting? If you select pause, will it let you

			Michael
--
: Michael Gersten		seismo!scgvaxd!stb!michael
: Copy protection? Just say Pirate! (if its worth pirating)

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (09/05/87)

In article <114@stb.UUCP> michael@stb.UUCP (Michael) writes:
>In article <7191@g.ms.uky.edu> sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:
>>The program is no longer copy protected.  It will run from a hard disk or ram.
>
>Here's the $32 (or however much it costs) question: Did they fix it so that
>exit/quit will not require rebooting? If you select pause, will it let you

I'll let you know when I get my update.  If they are reasonable, I should be
getting it any time.  If not, I'll be letting you (and them) know.

Sean