[comp.sys.amiga] Pixar, Leo and "The Dream Comes Alive"

bryce@cogsci.berkeley.EDU.UUCP (09/02/87)

Tonight was the night.	The final showing of Leo's animation based on Pixar
Inc.'s "Red's Dream" short film.  As regular net readers will know Leo L.
Schwab attended a pre-screening of "Red's Dream" just before the huge
Sigraph graphics show.	Just coincidentally he had also just received a
copy of Aegis's "VideoScape 3-D" that week.  To make a long story short, he
produced a _very_ impressive animation based on the film.  So impressive,
in fact that it attracted the attention of Pixar Inc. when it was shown at
Sigraph before and after the "Red's Dream" premier.

The setting was the monthly meeting of the First Amiga User's Group (FAUG)
at Rickey's Hyatt in Palo Alto, California.  Attendance was average with
over (and this is a guess) 500 people.	The standard "famous people" list
included RJ. Michael (Intuition), Dale Luck (Graphics, Math, Etc.), Jay
Miner (Custom Chips) and Jim Mackraz (Spelled wrong, but still the person
who has nursed Intuition though the later ROM revisions).

Leo started off by showing his animation to the approving oooohs and ahhhs
of the crowd.  He explained the situation and how the animation came about.
He correctly pointed out the the rendering of the origional was actually
far superior.  The standard heckler from the crowd asked "But what does the
Pixar machine cost?" and the standard answer "$49,0000............ but it
comes with a C compiler!".  Leo answered questions about the technical
aspects of the animation and also read a letter from Pixar expressing
Pixar's final position on the issue.  In short, that letter said that "You
do not have permission to distribute or display publicly this animation.
The film and the character "Red" are copyrighted by Pixar and we must
protect our copyrights in order to keep them.  As per your request, you are
allowed one final showing.".

Things seemed about to wind down when someone from the crowd asked "When
will you produce an animation that we *can* distribute."  Leo just smiled
and ruffled his cape as he pulled out a single disk.  To appreciate what
comes next you _must_ realize the the original animation was of a
character, "Red" who happens to be a unicycle.  "Red" is juggling three
balls by bouncing them off his pedals and seat.  The balls are green, blue
and the ball from "Boing!".  "Red" is rocking back and forth in a starred
circus ring while the camera zooms around overhead.

The new animation?  It should be available soon on a BBS near you.  I won't
tell you what it is... I could not do proper justice in text.  Instead I'll
just say that it was perfect for the moment and the situation at hand.	It
produced an extended and jubilant standing ovation.

"Red's Dream" is a copyrighted motion picture, (C)1987 Pixar, Inc.  "Red"
is a copyrighted character, (C)1987 Pixar, Inc.  "Leo L. Schwab" is a
human, not copyrightable under current law.

In article <8709020842.AA15483@cogsci.berkeley.edu> bryce@cogsci.berkeley.EDU (Bryce Nesbitt) writes:
>...it was perfect for the moment and the situation at hand.	It
>produced an extended and jubilant standing ovation.

This is just to inform all of you, that about a year from now you will
all be able to retire from the sale of your copies of 'robotroff', 'Ing',
and 'Viacom', provided the are in mint-condition, and in their original
form with the original USENET message header and complete 'recumbant-
bike' signature.

And be sure you get your signed and numbered 'certificate of authenticity'
along with your copy of the new special edition of Leo's new animation.
Only $39.95 from the Bols Ewhac Mint.

:-)

Keith Doyle
#  {ucbvax,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd  Contel Business Systems 213-323-8170
"Art is a lie that makes us realize the truth."
				-Pablo Picasso

kent@xanth.UUCP (Kent Paul Dolan) (09/04/87)

Sure glad to hear the man in the cape has taken on the challenge of
creating a publishable replacement for Red's Dream Clone!  Way to go!
We're talking class here, brothers and sisters!

(And honest, Leo, when the loot is handy, a recumbant bike is near the
top of my want list!)

Kent, the man from xanth.

In article <8709020842.AA15483@cogsci.berkeley.edu> bryce@cogsci.berkeley.EDU (Bryce Nesbitt) writes:
>The new animation?  It should be available soon on a BBS near you.  I won't
>tell you what it is... I could not do proper justice in text.  Instead I'll
>just say that it was perfect for the moment and the situation at hand.	It
>produced an extended and jubilant standing ovation.

	A brief note.  I made the "slight" mistake of letting Mitch Lopes
copy the animation.  Next thing I knew it was on BBS-JC.  From there it will
probably propogate like coat hangers.

	I do not object to this at all; in fact, I encourage it.  However,
be aware that there are two versions (already!).  One is the version shown
at FAUG, and has a couple of errors in it.  There's a glitch in the ball
object, and the ball skids.  I made a new version without these errors.

	The version Mitch posted to BBS-JC has the glitches in it; he has
since received a copy of the fixed version.  The fixed version has also been
sent to Fred Fish (via Federal Excess, no less) for inclusion in his
library.

	I'm also tossing a copy at Bill Volk, who will no doubt compress the
$#!+ out of it.  Once I get a hyper-compressed version back from him, I'll
put it together with the object definition and camera/motion control files,
and throw *THAT* at Fred, so you'll be able to make a copy of your very own,
or play with it.  Whatever the hell you wanna do...

	Whether or not the "broken" version becomes a collector's item, I
don't know.  Just be aware that there is a version I think is more correct.

	And no, I won't bother trying to describe it, either.

>"Red's Dream" is a copyrighted motion picture, (C)1987 Pixar, Inc.  "Red"
>is a copyrighted character, (C)1987 Pixar, Inc.  "Leo L. Schwab" is a
>human, not copyrightable under current law.
	^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

	Genentech is working on this.....		:-)

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	ihnp4!ptsfa -\
 \_ -_	 Bike shrunk by popular demand,	      dual ---> !{well,unicom}!ewhac
O----^o	 But it's still the only way to fly.  hplabs / (pronounced "AE-wack")

In article <3886@well.UUCP> ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) writes:
>>"Red's Dream" is a copyrighted motion picture, (C)1987 Pixar, Inc.  "Red"
>>is a copyrighted character, (C)1987 Pixar, Inc.  "Leo L. Schwab" is a
>>human, not copyrightable under current law.

>	Genentech is working on this.....		:-)

No, Genentech is working on breaking the copy protection mechanism. :-)