[comp.sys.amiga] Why you haven't heard from me recen

jec@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (08/27/87)

	So much for ever working for DEC.

	A lot of companies do that.  I make it a point not to work for
such companies.  After all, they do not own your life....

				-Matt

In article <36400004@iuvax> jec@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu writes:

>	So much for ever working for DEC.

Dave Conroy wrote MicroEMACS while working for DEC, 1 year ago.

*Have they changed their policy lately ?*

Did Steve Jobs buy DEC too ?

-----

P.S. Conroy says there has been a PD 68K version of his (DECUS) 'C' compiler.
Anybody know anything about this ?

--
Richard Sexton
INTERNET:     richard@gryphon.CTS.COM

"It's too dark to put the key in my ignition..."

tenney@well.UUCP (08/30/87)

I tried three times to email this and never got thru to Dave,
so I appologize.  I felt this shd be more private, but...

I'm sorry to hear this.  I'm a member of the IEEE Intellectual Property
Committee and employment agreements have been one of our big topics for
years (essentially our reason for existing at first).  I don't have my older
files handy, but there are laws on the books in about a dozen states (and
I vaguely remember some Federal bill) that basically states that what you
do on your own time, with your own resources (ie. you don't use your
company's resources) are your own.  One thing we heard of often has been
that many companies "bully" their employees into believing that the Company
is right and everything you do is theirs.

If I can be of any assistance, feel free to reply.  No, I'm not an attorney,
but I might be able to get some info for you.  Best suggestion is to suggest
to your legal dept. that you own what you're talking about and that there
are laws on your side (ignoring which state...).  I'd be curious to know
if you have any luck.

Good luck.
Glenn Tenney

These are my own opinions and NOT those of the IEEE or, perhaps, anybody else.

fnf@mcdsun.UUCP (08/30/87)

This really belongs in misc.legal, lets try to move it there...

Note to misc.legal readers:  This thread started in comp.sys.amiga
with a situation in which an employee of DEC has apparently been
notified that release of the results of his off duty hacking on the Amiga
computer violates a conflict of interest provision in his employment
agreement.  I won't comment here on the relative merit of DEC's stance
since I don't know the details of the employment agreement or of the
employee's duties.  But I'd like to comment in general on what to watch
out for to avoid problems such as this.  Since this discussion really
doesn't belong in comp.sys.amiga, I've posted this message in misc.legal,
with follow-ups there, but cross posted to comp.sys.amiga so the original
participants in the discussion would see it.

Some hints and rules for avoiding problems with conflict of interest
and invention assignment provisions in an employee agreement:

(1)	Negotiate your agreement.

	First rule is to know what you are getting into when you
	become a new employee.  Request in writing copies of all
	employment agreements you will be required to sign at your
	new job BEFORE accepting a job with a new employer, and
	certainly BEFORE relocation.  Some employers will conveniently
	forget to mention these agreements until your first day of
	work, and then depend upon the vulnerability of your position
	to work in their favor towards getting you to sign something
	contrary to your own best interests.  The time to negotiate
	an acceptable agreement is BEFORE you commit to a job change.

(2)	Know the laws of your state.

	Know the laws of your state if the agreement tries to be
	unreasonably restrictive.  Many states have provisions in
	their legal code regulating what can and cannot be required.
	As an example, from the California legal code:

	California Labor Code Section 2870
	Article 3.5  Inventions Made by An Employee

	2870.  Any provision in an employment agreement which provides
	that an employee shall assign or offer to assign any of his or
	her rights in an invention to his or her employer shall not apply
	to an invention for which no equipment, supplies, facility, or
	trade secret information of the employer was used and which was
	developed entirely on the employee's own time, and (a) which
	does not relate (1) to the business of the employer or (2) to the
	employer's actual or demonstrably anticipated work performed by
	the employee for the employer.  Any provision which purports
	to apply to such an invention is to that extent against the
	public policy of this state and to that extent void and
	unenforceable.

(3)	Avoid obvious conflicts.

	Try to channel your creative energies towards areas which
	do not directly relate to your job duties or those of your
	immediate associates.  For example, if you work for a company
	that develops database applications, and you have your choice
	of off duty hacking on database systems or digital signal
	processing algorithms that interested you when you were in
	school, pick the one that seems obviously unrelated to anything
	you are being paid to do.

	This is probably one of the hardest rules to follow since it
	is only natural for most computer enthusiasts that enjoy their
	work, to continue that line of development in their hacking
	at home.  Since such work could potentially be very beneficial
	for both the employer and employee, it is sometimes worthwhile
	to try to work out some sort of agreement about the results,
	if you really want to pursue areas of development that you
	don't have time for during your normal work day.  This is also
	especially important if you find that your most creative work is
	done at home, outside the stress, distraction, and deadlines of the
	workplace environment, since this is most likely where you will
	make "breakthrough" inventions or discover that algorithm that
	triples the previous speed of your employers product.

(4)	Be upfront with your employer.

	Be upfront with your employer that you have the means and
	desire to pursue development of potentially marketable software
	products at home, but that you will abide by your agreement
	with respect to conflicts of interest and non competition.
	You may be able to hide your development activities as long
	as everything you do remains private.  In that case, why
	bother doing anything if you can't share it with the world
	via public domain or freely redistributable release, or via
	release as a commercial product.  You are a paid professional,
	not a company slave or indentured servant.  Open communication
	and cooperativeness are the keys to a workable situation,
	unless you have a totally unreasonable and tyrannical employer.

-Fred
--
= Drug tests; just say *NO*!
= Fred Fish  Motorola Computer Division, 3013 S 52nd St, Tempe, Az 85282  USA

king@dciem.UUCP (Stephen King) (08/31/87)

In article <363@mcdsun.UUCP> fnf@mcdsun.UUCP (Fred Fish) writes:
>This really belongs in misc.legal, lets try to move it there...

Since this really is an Amiga related issue, because of Dave's well
known contributions, couldn't we keep it here? I want to see what
people have to say, and what the outcome is without subscribing to
yet-another-newsgroup. We did, afterall, have a real flurry over
Ehwac <-> Pixar; is this what you wish to avoid? How do the rest
of the reader's feel. (I will bow to the wishes of the majority)...sjk

--
 * Defence & Civil Institute *		...!utzoo!dciem!king
 * of Environmental Medicine *		Stephen J King

tony@artecon.artecon.UUCP (Anthony D. Parkhurst) (08/31/87)

In article <3857@well.UUCP>, tenney@well.UUCP (Glenn S. Tenney) writes:
> I'm sorry to hear this.  I'm a member of the IEEE Intellectual Property
> Committee and employment agreements have been one of our big topics for
> years (essentially our reason for existing at first).  I don't have my older
> files handy, but there are laws on the books in about a dozen states (and
> I vaguely remember some Federal bill) that basically states that what you
> do on your own time, with your own resources (ie. you don't use your
> company's resources) are your own.  One thing we heard of often has been
> that many companies "bully" their employees into believing that the Company
> is right and everything you do is theirs.

The issue is not whether or not DEC owns what Dave (Hi Dave) does on his
own time, but whether DEC feels that they may lose business over such
activity.  They would never try to take possession of his work, they
would simply fire him.  Yes, many companies do have you sign that piece
of paper whose validity varies from state to state, however this falls
under the rules of "Conflict of Interest", which is an entirely different
matter.

Most big computer corps have explicit rules on what is a conflict of interest,
and what is not.  Basically, the rules usually go something like this:

A "Conflict" arises if:

	1) You do work (outside the company) for a Vendor, Customer or
	   Competitor of the company.

	2) You do work (outside the company) which would normally be done
	   by someone while working for the company.  (In other words,
	   if you do some work for somebody on a computer made by your
	   company, and if you didn't do this work, they would be forced
	   to hire the company to do this, then that is a conflict of interest.

	3) (The catch-all, just incase they could not stretch the first two
	   rules to cover just about anything.)  Any outside activity that
	   would result in a loss of revenue for the company is a conflict
	   of interest.

Now, the nice things that Dave does for the Amiga could almost be covered by
rule number 1, except that he is not working directly for Commodore-Amiga,
(but he is helping their business anyway).

Rule number 2 does not apply because people would not go to DEC for programs
for the Amiga.

So, this leaves rule number 3.  Apparently, either they think that Dave will
single handedly ruin DEC, or they have had enough problems in the past, so
they enforce the rule strictly accross the board.  (I personally think
their afraid of Dave :-)

If Dave does not reach an understanding with his company, and he persists in
providing wonderful Amiga software, then they will fire him.  (I suppose
they could try to claim ownership of his work and sue him to keep it from
getting release, but if they fired me, I would do my best to ruin them :-)
Dave will have no recourse against DEC for <insert legaleese for unjustified
firing here> since "Conflict of interest" is a valid reason for firing
someone.

I hope Dave can come to an understanding with his employer, or go work at
Amiga (hint, hint).

-- Tony

--
**************** Insert 'Standard' Disclaimer here:  OOP ACK! *****************
* Tony Parkhurst -> hp-sdd!artecon!adp.UUCP (or) hp-sdd!artecon!adp@nosc.ARPA *

sat@unicus.UUCP (S.A. Thurlow) (09/01/87)

In article <2418@dciem.UUCP> king@dciem.UUCP (Stephen King) writes:
>In article <363@mcdsun.UUCP> fnf@mcdsun.UUCP (Fred Fish) writes:
>>This really belongs in misc.legal, lets try to move it there...
>Since this really is an Amiga related issue, because of Dave's well
>known contributions, couldn't we keep it here? I want to see what
>people have to say, and what the outcome is without subscribing to
>yet-another-newsgroup. We did, afterall, have a real flurry over
>Ehwac <-> Pixar; is this what you wish to avoid? How do the rest
>of the reader's feel. (I will bow to the wishes of the majority)...sjk

I vote that we migrate this discussion to misc.legal like fred
suggested.  The big fuss with leo vs. pixar didn't gain us anything (it
just expanded my kill file).  Also, in misc.legal, we are more likely to
find someone who knows more aboutt this and whether it is (legally)
right or wrong.  Hundreds of people agreeing DEC (or Pixar, or anyone
else) is a jerk doesn't accomplish anything.

Lets put this in misc.legal where it belongs.

Scott.
--
Scott A. Thurlow					Unicus Corporation
InterNet:	sat@Chi.Unicus.COM			(on a good day)

msl5864@ritcv.UUCP (Michael S. Leibow) (09/09/87)

>Dave Conroy wrote MicroEMACS while working for DEC, 1 year ago.
>
>*Have they changed their policy lately ?*
>
>Richard Sexton

	I talked to Dave Conroy recently because he gave me a new version
of Uemacs.  He said he released MicroEmacs before He came to DEC.  I
questioned him no further.  I want to release his latest version of
MicroEMACS because I converted it to the Amiga.  I will wait until I am
not working at DEC anymore (I am a coop student).

	I have also updated Dave Weckers VT100 to a VT220.  I or Dave will
be releasing that sometime too.  I don't know if I will be able to release
it outside of DEC though.  (I will try).  Anyhow, sometime around December, I
will be a student again and will try and release a VT220 emulator.

		-Mike Leibow
		{I don't know my return address at DEC.. if you know how
		 to get to DECWRL, then I am at DECWRL!dec-regina!leibow }

		don't return mail to me here.  I won't see it until december.

--
Michael S. Leibow
UUCP:		{allegra,seismo}!rochester!ritcv!msl5864