[comp.sys.amiga] UNIX pipes

peter@sugar.UUCP (09/11/87)

In article <130@stb.UUCP>, michael@stb.UUCP (Michael) writes:
> Okay, lets look at unix pipes. I assume you mean Named Fifo's (pipe files
> in file space vs. pipe(2) sys call).

Yeh, that's what I mean.

> #1. 4K buffer--after that, you wait until someone else reads it.

I don't see this as a problem. Large writes will have to wait. A lot of small
writes will have to wait. This will happen anyway... and 4K seems a reasonable
number. It works for me.

> #2. The system I have makes the writer wait until a reader shows up.

You're right. Well, I still think it desirable that you be able to write a
small packet to a pipe and go away.

> #3. Both multiple readers and writers are allowed (remember: The dup() call
> will work for anything in unix, and fork implicitly dups every file
> descriptor).

Yes, especially multiple writers.

> #4. You cannot reopen without losing data.

Probably right again...

> Which system are you thinkin of? 4.3? (I'm using sys3). If I understand
> correctly, that system does not guarantee any atomicy of writes to pipes.

System V.

> >> Besides, I like P:, which can have multiple readers.
> >
> >I find it hard to fathom the use of multiple readers to a single pipe. Perhaps
> >you can describe an application you've used this feature for.
>
> Look at the "tee" command in unix. P: will send identical copies of data to
> a file, such as a CON: window, or another pipe (to another program), so
> one program's output will go to two destination programs.

That's interesting. I'm not sure how to make it consistent. What happens when
a reader opens a pipe after another reader has already read some data? I was
thinking in terms of the way UNIX handles multiple readers, where each gets
part of the data.

> >> : Copy protection? Just say Pirate! (if its worth pirating)
> >
> >How are people supposed to take you seriously if you say things like this?
>
> Gee, I suppose very. Seriously, I am strongly opposed to copy protection and
> "machine takeovers"

So am I. Piracy isn't an appropriate response, just don't buy it in the first
place. There is a difference between free enterprise and theft.
--
-- Peter da Silva `-_-' ...!seismo!soma!uhnix1!sugar!peter
--                 'U`  <-- Public domain wolf.