[comp.sys.amiga] Long persistance monitors?

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (08/28/87)

Can someone tell of some long persistance montiors suitable for the
Amiga? I've heard the Multi-sync mentioned, but I was under the
impression that it has a normal phosphor.

Any specific (and hopefully reasonably priced) recommendations would be
helpful.
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland    540 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
UUCP Address:   {ihnp4,ucbvax,decvax,allegra}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne

jdow@gryphon.CTS.COM (Joanne Dow) (08/31/87)

In article <464@esunix.UUCP> blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
>Can someone tell of some long persistance montiors suitable for the
>Amiga? I've heard the Multi-sync mentioned, but I was under the
>impression that it has a normal phosphor.
>
>Any specific (and hopefully reasonably priced) recommendations would be
>helpful.
>--
The only ones I located at SIGGRAPH were the Mitsubishi and Electrohome units.
I don't yet have prices for the Mitsubishi's. The price of the Electrohome
units (some of which have fantastic resolutions) runs something on the level
of "which arm will it be. Before yu answer remember that we take most of the
opposite leg, too."
<^_^>
	(But, till C= gets their LP monitor up they're the only game in town.)

--
<@_@>
	BIX:jdow

Remember - A bird in the hand often leaves a sticky deposit. Perhaps it was
better you left it in the bush with the other one.

Do you really want a long persistence monitor ? Your animation is going
to blur, and a lot of monitors with LPP's make lousy colors, like a
white with a purple cast to it.

What about scan doublers ?  Didnt I see a rumor of one in some magazine (the
one with Dale in a suit and tie at comdex - nice tie Dale) of C= doing this.

My precious Sony KV1311CR wouldnt work any mnore, but, hey, onward and upward.

--
Richard Sexton
INTERNET:     richard@gryphon.CTS.COM

"It's too dark to put the key in my ignition..."

In article <1374@gryphon.CTS.COM> jdow@gryphon.CTS.COM (Joanne Dow) writes:
>>--
>The only ones I located at SIGGRAPH were the Mitsubishi and Electrohome units.
><@_@>
>	BIX:jdow

I've used both those units in a previous life where I was forced to program
PC's (with a funny graphics card) at gunpoint.

Thy are both moderatly wretched. Poor color saturation, white isn't white,
and pretty expensive to boot. The Mits was nicer than the Electrohome. Just.

Too bad, 'cause as an ex-waterlooite, I REALLY wanted to like the Electrohome,
which was made down the streen. Oh well.

--

king@dciem.UUCP (Stephen King) (09/08/87)

In article <1378@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>What about scan doublers ?  Didnt I see a rumor of one in some magazine (the
>one with Dale in a suit and tie at comdex - nice tie Dale) of C= doing this.

Good question. What about scan-doublers. It would save me a lot of time and
effort if such a beast were soon to be available. Can anyone provide more
info?        -thanks-                                    ...sjk

--
 * Defence & Civil Institute *		...!utzoo!dciem!king
 * of Environmental Medicine *		Stephen J King

cheung@vu-vlsi.UUCP (Wilson Cheung) (09/11/87)

> Good question. What about scan-doublers. It would save me a lot of time and
> effort if such a beast were soon to be available. Can anyone provide more
> info?        -thanks-                                    ...sjk

 I have heard lots of talk about scan doublers suggesting how easy it would
be to make.  Sure the concept and implementation sounds so so easy.  Its not
something the typical poor hacker can afford to fund.  I thought about doing
something like this on my own.  I figured $500 for a Multi-Sync and $200-$300
in parts roughly.  Then there is all that time you'd have to hack around to
get the timing worked between your interlacing amiga and scan doubler,  not to
mention the risk of accidentally screwing an amiga or a Multi-sync monitor.
Its a job fit only for a rich hacker or a hardware company.  Now any one know
of any companies planning on releasing such a product?  No rumors or heresay.

		Wilson Cheung