[comp.sys.amiga] 1.2 Bugs

eraps2@aspvax.UUCP (09/11/87)

Hi all,
A short while back there was a lot of commentary on the net about
1.2 bugs.

>>     If you are holding down the left mouse button while the mouse pointer
>> is over an icon and another window on the Workbench screen does
>> WindowToFront(), the system locks up.  No response to any keyboard or mouse
>> activity except C-A-A.  I've been running a clock program which does
>> WindowToFront() every 15 seconds, hence my crashes.
>
>It also seems to do it if you resize a window under program control. Matt
>Dillon's DTERM did this to me once or twice.
>--
>-- Peter da Silva `-_-' ...!seismo!soma!uhnix1!sugar!peter (I said, NO PHOTOS!)

This may be related to the following:

Also interesting is the way the system keeps track of key-downs.  I was
playing with Disable()s and came across an interesting effect -> If I
pressed down a key before a Disable(), and then released it before the
corresponding Enable() [yes, I did expect to lose KB data], the system
held own that key FOREVER, yes, even though it was receiving key-up's
(by pressing the key again), it left the key ON.  My best guess is that
someone is counting the number of keyups vs keydowns (note that I could
clear the condition by running the experiment in reverse -> run, press
key, after Enable(), release).  Since there is no need to count
keyups/downs, I figure that something else in the chain is keeping
track.  Perhaps the WindowToFront() code locks out ints for a bit?

Rob Ginn     ...!burdvax!jtids!aspvax!eraps2
             eraps1@nadc.arpa

ps: If this message comes across funny, please email me, I just finished
    writing the send portion of my news link.

"We want information ... information"       Rob Ginn
                              - No. 2       ...burdvax!jtids!aspvax!eraps2
                                            eraps1@nadc.arpa

jesup@mizar.steinmetz (Randell Jesup) (09/12/87)

In article <15776@aspvax.UUCP> eraps2@aspvax.UUCP writes:
>Also interesting is the way the system keeps track of key-downs.  I was
>playing with Disable()s and came across an interesting effect -> If I
>pressed down a key before a Disable(), and then released it before the
>corresponding Enable() [yes, I did expect to lose KB data], the system
>held own that key FOREVER, yes, even though it was receiving key-up's
>(by pressing the key again), it left the key ON.  My best guess is that
>someone is counting the number of keyups vs keydowns (note that I could
>clear the condition by running the experiment in reverse -> run, press
>key, after Enable(), release).  Since there is no need to count
>keyups/downs, I figure that something else in the chain is keeping
>track.  Perhaps the WindowToFront() code locks out ints for a bit?

>Rob Ginn     ...!burdvax!jtids!aspvax!eraps2

This sounds similar to a problem I've had from time to time, where the
arrow keys move the mouse as if the left-A key was pressed.  Pressing and
releasing it doesn't help, but I have been able to fix it sometimes by
rapidly playing with the key while moving the mouse from window to window
clicking the left button.  More often, I have to reboot or live with it.

As far as I can tell, it happens during a boot, not after doing a bunch
of stuff.
	Randell Jesup  (Please use one of these paths for mail)
	jesup@steinmetz.UUCP (uunet!steinmetz!jesup)
	jesup@ge-crd.ARPA