[comp.sys.amiga] 3.5" external drive

jack@cca.CCA.COM (Jack Orenstein) (09/08/87)

I have an Amiga A1000 with an external 3.5" drive. Even though it's only
about a month old, the external drive seems flaky. All disk errors that
I've ever had have occurred on the external drive. As far as I can tell,
the problem occurs on a read but never on a write. Many of the errors
occurred during "pass 2 cleanup" of the Manx link step, which is very
disk-intensive. (I've since discovered that the output file should be in
ram:.)  Using diskcopy, I can copy to the external drive, but not from
it. (The copy can be read by the other drive.)

The errors are ALWAYS on tracks 65, 69, 73, 77, sometimes all of them,
sometimes only one or two of them. Tracks 65 and 69 are the worst
offenders. (Does the fact that the tracks are all 4 apart mean anything?).
This was discovered by using diskdoctor and by noting which tracks
were reported as bad during a diskcopy from the external drive.

It's not a bad disk, because I can reformat and reuse a disk on which
this has occurred, and the problem has occurred on several disks.

Is this problem likely to be solved by realignment of the drive?  Any
other suggestions?

Jack Orenstein

grr@cbmvax.UUCP (09/13/87)

In article <19560@cca.CCA.COM> jack@cca.CCA.COM (Jack Orenstein) writes:

> I have an Amiga A1000 with an external 3.5" drive. Even though it's only
> about a month old, the external drive seems flaky. All disk errors that
> I've ever had have occurred on the external drive. As far as I can tell,
> the problem occurs on a read but never on a write. Many of the errors
> occurred during "pass 2 cleanup" of the Manx link step, which is very
> disk-intensive. (I've since discovered that the output file should be in
> ram:.)  Using diskcopy, I can copy to the external drive, but not from
> it. (The copy can be read by the other drive.)
>
> The errors are ALWAYS on tracks 65, 69, 73, 77, sometimes all of them,
> sometimes only one or two of them. Tracks 65 and 69 are the worst
> offenders. (Does the fact that the tracks are all 4 apart mean anything?).
> This was discovered by using diskdoctor and by noting which tracks
> were reported as bad during a diskcopy from the external drive.

Sounds like a not-so-good (i.e. BAD) drive to me.  I'd take it back to
your dealer before the warranty runs out...

The x4 thing could be random or it could be related to the electomechanical
design of the drive mechanism...

--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {ihnp4|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!grr
but no way officially representing	arpa: out to lunch...