[comp.sys.amiga] A different monitor cable question

mende@aramis.rutgers.edu (Bob Mende) (09/14/87)

  Hi ... I am posting this for a friend of mine (TLIMONCE@DREW.BITNET)
who is stuck on a network where he cant get at the news (poor guy).
Anyway, I know there has been some discussion about cables to various
monitors discussed lately, but the poor soul has to go to a IBM
*monocrome* monitor.

----- forwarded message from tlimonce@drew.bitnet ------

     I have an Amiga 1000 (yea!) with a borrowed monitor.  Well, recently this
monitor was needed by the loaner :-(.  I have an Amiga 1000 with 2.5Meg ram,
2 drives, all that good stuff.  But no monitor. (again, :-( )
     Now that I have arrived at college I have (part of the un-avoidable
frosh package) a Zenith Z-157 (yucky MS-DOS) with a monochrome monitor.
The monitor is a standard IBM Monochrome-type monitor.  Somewhere I have seen
specs for a cable that would let me use this monitor with my Amiga.
     Does anyone have this info?  I am Amiga-less!  I'm drying up!  Soon you'll
find me in a dark alley wearing a grey business suit asking, "Hey man, got any
'last year's technology'?"  Heeeeelllllpppp!

---- end forwarded message -----

				   Thanks ....

				/Bob Mende
--
     mende@rutgers.edu    {...}!rutgers!mende    mende@zodiac.bitnet

In article <1527@aramis.rutgers.edu> mende@aramis.rutgers.edu (Bob Mende) writes:
>   Hi ... I am posting this for a friend of mine (TLIMONCE@DREW.BITNET)
>
>      I have an Amiga 1000 (yea!) with a borrowed monitor.  Well, recently this
> monitor was needed by the loaner :-(.  I have an Amiga 1000 with 2.5Meg ram,
> 2 drives, all that good stuff.  But no monitor. (again, :-( )
>      Now that I have arrived at college I have (part of the un-avoidable
> frosh package) a Zenith Z-157 (yucky MS-DOS) with a monochrome monitor.
> The monitor is a standard IBM Monochrome-type monitor.  Somewhere I have seen
> specs for a cable that would let me use this monitor with my Amiga.

Sorry, the IBM monochrome monitor is not compatible with the Amiga - the scan
rates and sync polarities are incorrect.  A clever person could modifiy the
monitor, but then it wouldn't work too well on the PC clone.

If $$$ are important, the best thing would be to get a composite monochrome
monitor and plug it into the Composite output jack on the A1000.  Decent
quality for $70-125.

--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {ihnp4|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!grr
but no way officially representing	arpa: out to lunch...