[comp.sys.amiga] A name for mg...

mwm@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike (My watch has windows) Meyer) (09/09/87)

In article <661@sugar.UUCP> peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
<> First note: at RMS's request, the name of microGNUemacs has been
<> changed to mg. Please refer to it by that name, and not by the
<> original name.

<At least leave "emacs" somewhere in the name, so we can figure out what
<you're talking about. Or else rename it Navistar :->.

But it's *not* an emacs. It's a stripped down version missing the most
important feature - an extension language. That, and it not being
associated to the GNU project are why he asked us to change the name.

<I'll keep on referring to it by the original name, thanks, 'till you
<come up with something better. "mg" sounds like something someone hacked

Instead of walking all over other peoples toes, why don't you suggest
a new name? mg was originally adopted because we hated typing out the
old name in full. When RMS requested the name change, that was the
obvious choice. Give me a better one, why don't you?

	<mike
--
Take a magic carpet to the olden days			Mike Meyer
To a mythical land where everybody lays			mwm@berkeley.edu

> a new name? mg was originally adopted because we hated typing out the
> old name in full. When RMS requested the name change, that was the
> obvious choice. Give me a better one, why don't you?

uEmacs? mgEmacs? Given the three incompatible sets of extension languages
in Emacs (teco, lisp, and the assembly-like one), it can't be described
as a requirement for the name, really.

munu? numacs?

c-over-lambda-emacs? e-over-hmacs? (physics jokes: what's nu with yu?).
--
-- Peter da Silva `-_-' ...!seismo!soma!uhnix1!sugar!peter
--                 'U`  <-- Public domain wolf.

UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) (09/14/87)

How about Gold?  It's the opposite of Gnu 8-).