[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga tried to go Europe :-)

kasper@su-russell.ARPA (Kasper Osterbye) (08/28/87)

It seems like the message got lost, sorry, here we go again - hopefully.

I am in the process of buying a computer. The real problem
seems to be the power supply. I am going to be in the US
for a couple of years, then I will go back to Denmark.

Have anyone tried to rebuild a US-Amiga into an Amiga that
can handle 220V and 50hz. The hz seems to be the real problem
for most monitors and printers, the voltage can be handled with
a powerfull enough transformer.

For those who will suggest I buy a Mac SE - I know that it has
a "smart" power supply, but the Mac printers don't either.

Anyone has some good suggestions. I could sell the whole thing
again in some years - but...

- Kasper

ARPA: kasper@stanford.csli.edu
UUCP: kasper@su-russell.uucp
Or just reply to the net, as Im real interested in an answer.

rouaix@inria.UUCP (08/31/87)

In article <345@su-russell.ARPA>, kasper@su-russell.ARPA (Kasper Osterbye) writes:

> I am in the process of buying a computer. The real problem
> seems to be the power supply. I am going to be in the US
> for a couple of years, then I will go back to Denmark.
>
> Have anyone tried to rebuild a US-Amiga into an Amiga that
> can handle 220V and 50hz. The hz seems to be the real problem
> for most monitors and printers, the voltage can be handled with
> a powerfull enough transformer.

Well, there are also Amigas in Europe, you know. (at least in England,Germany,
and France). The french ones do handle 220V and 50Hz (and they have vertical
resolution of 256 instead of 200)
As a matter of fact, I own an American Amiga (I am an early developper),
with a transformer for french voltage.
I suggest you ask Commodore France (for example) if they have some left.

*- Francois Rouaix                    /       When the going gets tough,      *
*- USENET:rouaix@inria.inria.fr     \/            the guru goes meditating... *

eric@cbmvax.UUCP (Eric Cotton) (09/01/87)

In article <345@su-russell.ARPA> kasper@su-russell.UUCP (Kasper Osterbye) writes:
>I am in the process of buying a computer. The real problem
>seems to be the power supply. I am going to be in the US
>for a couple of years, then I will go back to Denmark.
>
>Have anyone tried to rebuild a US-Amiga into an Amiga that
>can handle 220V and 50hz. The hz seems to be the real problem
>for most monitors and printers, the voltage can be handled with
>a powerfull enough transformer.

In the latest AMIGA Mail (July/August 1987) there is an article entitled
"Traveling With Your Amiga" (by Don Gilbreath and Dan Baker) which details
the changes needed.  In a nutshell, it requires a whole lotta changes: new
Agnus, new crystal, and a new power supply.

	Agnus	A500	part #318071-01
		A1000	part #252362-01
		A2000   part #252362-01

	Crystal	A500    part #252344-01
		A1000	part #252344-01
		A2000	part #252344-01

	Power	A500	part #312503-02/3/4
		A1000	part #327173-02/3/4

		where:	02 - BSI 240v
			03 - VDE 220v
			04 - SEV 220V

DISCLAIMER: Commodore part numbers are subject to change.  Modifying your
	    AMIGA may void your warranty.  Contact your Commodore Service
	    Center for more information.

--
	Eric Cotton
	Commodore-Amiga

  *======================================================================*
 *=====     UUCP: {ihnp4|allegra|seismo}!cbmvax!eric                 =====*
*=====      FONE: (215) 431-9100                                      =====*
*=====      MAIL: 1200 Wilson Drive / West Chester, PA 19380          =====*
 *=====     PAUL: "I don't find this stuff amusing anymore."         =====*
  *======================================================================*

In article <345@su-russell.ARPA> kasper@su-russell.UUCP (Kasper Osterbye) writes:
> It seems like the message got lost, sorry, here we go again - hopefully.
>
> I am in the process of buying a computer. The real problem
> seems to be the power supply. I am going to be in the US
> for a couple of years, then I will go back to Denmark.
>
> Have anyone tried to rebuild a US-Amiga into an Amiga that
> can handle 220V and 50hz. The hz seems to be the real problem
> for most monitors and printers, the voltage can be handled with
> a powerfull enough transformer.

If you use the US Amiga with a transformer and an US Amiga monitor, it
will work fine on 50 Hz.  If you want to go native, you can switch the
power supply and Agnus chip, however the composite video won't be correct
unless you also change the system clock oscillator, which is soldered in.
There is also the issue of the US vs. International keyboard.

Sorry, but I don't have a really good answer.

bob@uel (Bob Duncanson) (09/10/87)

> > I am in the process of buying a computer. The real problem
> > seems to be the power supply. I am going to be in the US
> > for a couple of years, then I will go back to Denmark.
> >
> > Have anyone tried to rebuild a US-Amiga into an Amiga that
> > can handle 220V and 50hz. The hz seems to be the real problem
> > for most monitors and printers, the voltage can be handled with
> > a powerfull enough transformer.

I have been using my USA-origin Amiga on England for over a year
on a 220-110 volt step down transformer that also powers a dot matrix
printer and an external 5.25" disk drive.  The line frequency causes
no apparent problems.
--
Bob Duncanson
AT&T Unix Europe Limited	uucp Europe:	mcvax!ukc!uel!bob

yann@utegc.UUCP (09/16/87)

In article <682@uel> bob@uel (Bob Duncanson) writes:
>> > Have anyone tried to rebuild a US-Amiga into an Amiga that
>> > can handle 220V and 50hz. The hz seems to be the real problem
>> > for most monitors and printers, the voltage can be handled with
>> > a powerfull enough transformer.
>
>I have been using my USA-origin Amiga on England for over a year
>on a 220-110 volt step down transformer that also powers a dot matrix
>printer and an external 5.25" disk drive.  The line frequency causes
>no apparent problems.
>--
Well, not if you are using an Amiga1000 with V1.1: the clock (not
the system clock, but the time-of-day clock) will run at 5/6th of
the correct speed, unless you use the European 50Hz V1.1-Kickstart disk.
V1.2 automatically recognizes which side of the ocean it is on.
I am using an European Amiga1000 together with a European Commodore Monitor
in Canada with no problem,
and of course I still get 512 lines intead of 400 in interlaced mode!

 Yann le Cun  yann@ai.toronto.edu