[comp.sys.amiga] Shell 2.06 Problems

bakken@tahoma.ARPA (Dave Bakken) (09/10/87)

I have been using Steve Drew's shell 2.06 (with 1.2 gamma, Insider, and
firing up Popcli II, facc, and a title bar clock at boot) and have been
having problems:

1)  Sometimes it doesn't execute a command (e.g. date [to set], cc,
    execute) but just returns with the next prompt.  Also, Popcli
    won't fire up a CLI.

2)  I copy a few things to RAM: (both a directory or at the top) and then
    do a d or cd and get a guru (4.00c168b8 on the d command).

3)  I can't seem to get vd0: to work with it, even though I followed the
    simple installation directions.  At first I could copy things there
    but it wouldn't show up with the info command.  But now it keeps
    asking for volume vd0 and won't give up.  I gave up on vd0: for the
    time and have gone back to RAM:c.

So what I am wondering is:

A) am I losing my marbles?
B) has anyone else had any problems resembling these?
C) are both the above true?

I haven't heard any such bugs discussed on the net so it is probably a
combination of A) and a really stupid, small thing.  Thanks in advance
for any help.

Dave Bakken
Boeing Commercial Airplane Company
uw-beaver!ssc-vax!shuksan!tahoma!bakken

These views are my own, not my employers.

richard@gryphon.UUCP (09/12/87)

In article <170@tahoma.ARPA> bakken@tahoma.ARPA (Dave Bakken) writes:

>I have been using Steve Drew's shell 2.06 (with 1.2 gamma, Insider, and
>firing up Popcli II, facc, and a title bar clock at boot) and have been
>having problems:
>
>1)  Sometimes it doesn't execute a command (e.g. date [to set], cc,
>    execute) but just returns with the next prompt.  Also, Popcli
>    won't fire up a CLI.

I've had this happen.

>2)  I copy a few things to RAM: (both a directory or at the top) and then
>    do a d or cd and get a guru (4.00c168b8 on the d command).

Never seen this.

>So what I am wondering is:
>
>A) am I losing my marbles?

Maybe.

>B) has anyone else had any problems resembling these?

Yes.

>C) are both the above true?

Maybe (fuzzy logic at work)

>I haven't heard any such bugs discussed on the net so it is probably a
>combination of A) and a really stupid, small thing.  Thanks in advance
>for any help.

The only stupid question is the one unsaked. No your not crazy. I dont
know what it is, and have been too lazy to track it down. It doesnt
happen that often. Seems to happen after I load up my 1MB with
bunches of stuff, then delete 'em all, repeat this 3 or four
times and it *may* heppen.

--
Richard J. Sexton
INTERNET:     richard@gryphon.CTS.COM

"It's too dark to put the key in my ignition..."

drew@decwrl.UUCP (09/13/87)

> I have been using Steve Drew's shell 2.06 (with 1.2 gamma, Insider, and
> firing up Popcli II, facc, and a title bar clock at boot) and have been
> having problems:
>
> 1)  Sometimes it doesn't execute a command (e.g. date [to set], cc,
>     execute) but just returns with txt prompt.  Also, Popcli
>     won't fire up a CLI.

execute:
As stated in the docs for shell. AmigaDos execute script files will
not work with shell directly. You either have to do a Run execute file
from shell or use shell's more powerfull script language instead.

date:
If intending to set the system date and time then you'll need the
amigados Date command not the shell internal 'date' command. I would
suggest either uppercasing such as 'Date' or 'c:date' to make sure you
get the external command.

> 2)  I copy a few things to RAM: (both a directory or ae top) and then
>     do a d or cd and get a guru (4.00c168b8 on the d command).

This is because you are running Gamma 1.2 rather than the official
released version 1.2. It had a bug in the ram-handler with corrupting the
date of the file when a 'setfiledate()' is used. Shell 2.06m also
was'nt ready for bad dates and thus gurus. Shell 2.07M will not guru
in this situation.

Why not upgrade to 1.2, maybe all your problems will be gone :-).

Steve Drew.

scott@applix.UUCP (09/13/87)

In article <170@tahoma.ARPA> bakken@tahoma.ARPA (Dave Bakken) writes:

>I have been using Steve Drew's shell 2.06

Me too, and I have noticed that the following doesn't work in Shell 2.06m:

   $ alias l "%i ls -lb $i"
   $ l *.c

(where 'ls' is Manx's).

In a previous version (I don't remember the rev. number), the alias would
behave as expected, listing all .c files.

With Shell2.06M, this combination no longer works, but

   $ l "*.c"

will.

-scott

drew@decwrl.UUCP (09/17/87)

>Me too, and I have noticed that the following doesn't work in Shell 2.06m:
>
>  $ alias l "%i ls -lb $i"
>  $ l *.c

>(where 'ls' is Manx's).
>
>In a previous version (I don't remember the rev. number), the alias would
>behave as expected, listing all .c files.

>With Shell2.06M, this combination no longer works, but

>   $ l "*.c"

>will.

>-scott

This bug and others have all been fixed in 2.07M, which I'll probably
send out next week.
But, Scott you don't need to alias it that way (using a variable) unless
you need variable insertion in the middle of a command line. In your
case it's easier, and gets arround the bug by doing:

alias l "ls -lb"

'l *.c' will now work.

Steve Drew.