[comp.sys.amiga] BOBs and KS 1.2

hobie@sq.UUCP (09/16/87)

	I have just written a program using BOBs that does not display the BOB
I ask it to display, but otherwise works just fine.  After carefully going
over my (admittedly old) Rom Kernel Manual and Programmer's Guide (also
old, version 1) I could find no error in what I had done.  Being naturally
suspicious from dealing too long with an Amiga, I booted my copy of KickStart
1.1 and ran the program again.  It worked exactly as intended.  So my
question is: what's different in BOBs between KS 1.1 and KS 1.2?  This is
the initialization sequence of my BOB that works under 1.1:

   InitMasks(&starshipVS);             /* create VSprite collision masks */
   InitGels(&dummy1, &dummy2, &mygel); /* set up 2 dummy VSprites in list */
   rp->GelsInfo = &mygel;              /* link GelsInfo (not in RKM!!!) */
   AddBob(&starshipBob, rp);           /* put BOB in Gels list */
   SortGList(rp);                      /* obligatory sorting of list */
   DrawGList(rp, MyVP);                /* draw all BOBs in list */

The BOB, starshipBob, was generated by NGI from a DPaint II brush.  The var-
iable `rp' is a pointer to a window RastPort; `MyVP' is derived from calling
ViewPortAddress(win) and getting a ViewPort structure for the window `win'.
One notable event: NGI does not initialize the field BorderLine in the
VSprite structure, which I had to do to stop the program from crashing.

	I would appreciate any help in solving this puzzle (I'll even give you a
copy of the source).  Gratias tibi maximas!

 Hobie Orris			 	|
 guest of SoftQuad Inc., Toronto, Ont.	|"There'll be no more giant leeches
 {ihnp4 | decvax | ? }!utzoo!sq!hobie	| When you find the good Lord Jesus"

higgin@cbmvax.UUCP (Paul Higginbottom SALES) (09/17/87)

in article <1987Sep16.132922.8847@sq.uucp>, hobie@sq.uucp (Hobie Orris) says:
> 	I have just written a program using BOBs that does not display the BOB
> I ask it to display, but otherwise works just fine...  Being naturally
> suspicious from dealing too long with an Amiga, I booted my copy of KickStart
> 1.1 and ran the program again.  It worked exactly as intended.  So my
> question is: what's different in BOBs between KS 1.1 and KS 1.2?

I expect there's no difference except that perhaps you have expansion
memory on your Amiga (beyond 512K) and that wasn't recognized automatically
under 1.1 but it is under 1.2 and your BOB data isn't in chip ram.

	Paul.

stever@videovax.Tek.COM (Steven E. Rice, P.E.) (09/18/87)

In article <1987Sep16.132922.8847@sq.uucp>, Hobie Orris (hobie@sq.uucp)
writes:

> 	I have just written a program using BOBs that does not display the BOB
> I ask it to display, but otherwise works just fine.  . . .  Being naturally
> suspicious from dealing too long with an Amiga, I booted my copy of KickStart
> 1.1 and ran the program again.  It worked exactly as intended.  So my
> question is: what's different in BOBs between KS 1.1 and KS 1.2?

One question -- do you have additional memory on your Amiga?  If you were
not specifying the BOB's memory as CHIP memory, it would work OK on a V1.1
that didn't do an ADDMEM, but fail on a V1.2 that autoconfigured. . .

					Steve Rice

new: stever@videovax.tv.Tek.com
old: {decvax | hplabs | ihnp4 | uw-beaver | cae780}!tektronix!videovax!stever