[comp.sys.amiga] Hardware problem: sloooow

denbeste@cc5.bbn.com.BBN.COM (Steven Den Beste) (09/19/87)

[Poisoned line-eater bait]

eric keisler writes:

> Everything is slow.  Disks 'gronk' very slowly during accesses, windows
> resize very sluggishly.  Overall system behaves like I have several tasks
> running.  I can get the system to crash if I move a window too fast or
> click on an icon while a window is redisplaying.  When the system crashes
> it crashes the wcs also; the system asks me for the kickstart disk.  All
> my graphics,audio, and music programs work BUT EVERYTHING IS SO SLOOOWWWWW!

 [much stuff about testing deleted]

> Anybody have any idea?
>
>    - eric keisler

It sounds suspiciously like something inside is generating bogus interrupts at
a high rate - this would chew a lot of CPU time servicing them (at high
priority level). It isn't inconceivable that this behavior would change with
1.1 - did they change the priorities around for the I/O tasks?

I fear I don't know enough about the hardware to make any specific suggestions
- the 8520's would have been the first choice, but you tried that.

If you can get hold of a scope, try looking at IPL0 (pin 25), IPL1 (pin 24) and
IPL2 (pin 23). These are the interrupt inputs on the 68000. Under ordinary
circumstances they should all be high.

If I recall correctly (and I'm probably wrong, but I'm sure
someone will correct me if so) the only periodic interrupt is the vertical
retrace interrupt - 30 Hz. If the machine is otherwise idle, these lines
shouldn't be rattling much.

If you determine that this is the problem, all you can do is give it
to someone who knows what they are doing to fix. Wasn't there someone out there
who had a favorite technician (The name "Bruce Takahashi" seems to spring to
mind as the technician's name) in that area? Again, I hope someone else will
pick up on this and say so.

--

     Steven C. Den Beste
     Bolt Beranek & Newman, Cambridge MA

I don't think BBN cares what I think about this stuff.