[comp.sys.amiga] MMU slot in A2000?

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (09/18/87)

I saw the A2000 at the local (SLC, Utah) dealer yesterday, they had just
got it that morning. It looks like a decent system, but I still think
that the case is pretty ugly. And no checkmarks on it anywhere. :-(

Leafing through the manual I noticed someting interesting, the 86 pin
slot is labeled "MMU Slot" on the schematics.

What's going on here C-A, have you got a secret MMU project up your
sleeve that you're not telling us about? If so, it could make a lot of
people on the net happy, judging from the amount of MMU lust I've seen
around here lately.
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland    540 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
UUCP Address:   {ihnp4,ucbvax,decvax,allegra}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne

In article <481@esunix.UUCP> blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
> I saw the A2000 at the local (SLC, Utah) dealer yesterday, they had just
> got it that morning. It looks like a decent system, but I still think
> that the case is pretty ugly. And no checkmarks on it anywhere. :-(
>
> Leafing through the manual I noticed someting interesting, the 86 pin
> slot is labeled "MMU Slot" on the schematics.
>
> What's going on here C-A, have you got a secret MMU project up your
> sleeve that you're not telling us about? If so, it could make a lot of
> people on the net happy, judging from the amount of MMU lust I've seen
> around here lately.

MMU Slot/Co-Processor slot, something like that :-).  It's basically the
same connector (ex. sex) as the 84 pin expansion connector on the A1000,
that is 63 pins from the processor and some other useful signals.

One could implement a "protective" MMU that would cause Bus Errors on an
attempt to read or write prohibited segments of memory. This would simply
plug into the connector, however to implement the more accepted form of
address transalating MMU, you need to have the processor on the card, thus
the "Co-processor slot" designation.

--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {ihnp4|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!grr
but no way officially representing	arpa: out to lunch...