[comp.sys.amiga] A "C" of ignorance

schwager@uiucdcsm.UUCP (09/17/87)

.
Greetings, Amiga C Wizards everywhere!
Having purchased my Aztec C version 3.4a, I find myself wallowing in a C
of ignorance.  My mind thirsts for knowledge and information- "How do I
interact with the operating system?" it asks, "What do these system
functions do?" it queries.  But alas, I know of few manuscripts
available that will satisfy.   In a light of inspiration, I have decided
to come to you, fellow netters.  What books do you, as the hardcore C
programmer that you are, consider vital to programming the Amiga?  I
imagine the AmigaDOS Reference Manual by Bantam Books is one such, and
the Intuituon Reference Manual.  Others?  By the way, be advised that
I'm using an Amiga 500 with Kickstart 1.2.  Are these manuals even
available for 1.2 things?  For example, does the AmigaDos Ref. Manual contain
info about the 1.2 commands like path?  Thanks for the help!
-mike schwager
-- {ihnp4,convex,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!schwager   schwager%uiuc@csnet-relay.arpa
	University of Illinois, Dept. of Computer Science

ali@rocky.STANFORD.EDU (Ali Ozer) (09/18/87)

In article <7200010@uiucdcsm> schwager@uiucdcsm.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
> ...  What books do you consider vital to programming the Amiga? ...

For programming purposes, there are three sources I use:

(1) The three RKMs: "Libraries and Devices,"  "Exec,"  &  "Intuition."
    For a total of about $90, these three books provide you with plenty
    of examples, code, and a full list of all the system functions.
    Unfortunately there are some errors (although much less than the
    errors in the first set of RKMs, which I also had...) And I don't
    think RKMs have all the functions listed (like the newest 1.2
    functions --- DrawEllipse and such).
(2) "Autodocs"  --- These are Unix man-style descriptions of all the
    functions in 1.2 (including DrawEllipse and such). As far as I can
    tell, they are not buggy. To look at them, consult your local Amiga
    developer --- They are available on disk, not in print.
(3) Rob Peck's "Programming Guide to the Amiga." It's the kind of book you
    can sit down and read. Gives a good solid background
    to programming the Amiga and why you need to do the things you do
    when programming.

None of these books give info about DOS commands and such. They are useful if
you want to program the Amiga. You can start programming the machine if
you get a hold of (2) and (3), but for more serious work I think you need
all three of the above.

[BTW, Peck's book also has some errors but he kindly posted a list of
 corrections a while back. If you get the book, drop me a note and I can
 mail you the corrections.]

Ali Ozer, ali@rocky.stanford.edu

>to come to you, fellow netters.  What books do you, as the hardcore C
>programmer that you are, consider vital to programming the Amiga?  I
>imagine the AmigaDOS Reference Manual by Bantam Books is one such, and
>the Intuituon Reference Manual.  Others?  By the way, be advised that

	Apart from all the reference manuals you want the autodocs and
*lots* of other people's source to use as examples.

				-Matt

adamsd@crash.CTS.COM (Adams Douglas) (09/21/87)

In article <601@rocky.STANFORD.EDU> ali@rocky.UUCP (Ali Ozer) writes:
>In article <7200010@uiucdcsm> schwager@uiucdcsm.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>> ...  What books do you consider vital to programming the Amiga? ...
>
>For programming purposes, there are three sources I use:
>
>(1) The three RKMs: "Libraries and Devices,"  "Exec,"  &  "Intuition."
>(2) "Autodocs"
>(3) Rob Peck's "Programming Guide to the Amiga."

I would also add to this (I agree, indispensable) list David Lai's
"Amiga Developer's Reference Guide--2nd Ed.", published by Pacific
Press.

Although it is basically a book that lists several different sortings
of the same database, the database it uses is a _complete_ list of
Amiga functions, includes and declaration (also those for Manx and
Lattice). It makes the best possible index for your other reference
texts.

Adams Douglas	ARPA:crash!adamsd@nosc.mil  AT&T:818-354-3076 <work>
DSN/JPL/NASA	UUCP:{cbosgd | hplabs!hp-sdd | sdcsvax | nosc}!crash!adamsd
		Internet: adamsd@crash.CTS.COM

My opinions! Do you hear? MINE! Not JPL's.

"Do not be angry with me if I tell you the truth." -- Socrates
"Tell the Truth and run."--Yugoslav proverb