[comp.sys.amiga] Hard disc for the Amiga 500

uda@amnesix.liu.se (Ulf Dahlen) (09/16/87)

I would appreciate any advice from you Amiga-hackers out there on
what to think of when buying a hard disc for the Amiga 500.
Is 20Meg really enough? Is there any specific drive manufacturer with
good/bad reputation? Any problem with interfacing?  etc....
Please reply by mail.
(Maybe this is a very common question in comp.sys.amiga, but the
flood of articles in this group has forced me to use 'catch up'
very frequently and lately I haven't read this group.)

/Ulf
__________
Ulf Dahlen
Dept of Computer & Info Science, University of Linkoping, Sweden
Bjornkarrsgatan 15A:22    |     uda@majestix.liu.se
S-582 51  LINKOPING       |     uda@majestix.UUCP
SWEDEN                    |     {mcvax,munnari,seismo}!enea!liuida!uda
+46 13 176291             |     ara%ida.liu.se@seismo.CSS.GOV
"The beginning is a very delicate time."

jdow@gryphon.CTS.COM (Joanne Dow) (09/21/87)

In article <658@amnesix.liu.se> uda@amnesix.liu.se (Ulf Dahlen) writes:
>I would appreciate any advice from you Amiga-hackers out there on
>what to think of when buying a hard disc for the Amiga 500.

Reliability, proper handling of the expansion architecture, and speed for
starters.

>Is 20Meg really enough?

Can you afford more? If so begin to think at 40megs. And soon enough that
will be stiflingly small.

>Is there any specific drive manufacturer with
>good/bad reputation?

I have both a Supra and a MAS-20. The Supra's faster. It has a couple problems
though. It won't autoconfigure correctly with a Starboard 2 inboard of it. It
wants to be closest to the Amiga. And when I first brought it up it had a lot
of error problems. That has gone away recently partly due to a new driver (That
doesn't work for David Joiner's drive...). The MAS-20 is a little slow. It is
much quieter. it is bigger. (The 3.5" Miniscribe in the Supra really screams
when seeking...)

>Any problem with interfacing?  etc....

I've tried to add a second randomly chosen drive to the Supra. It didn't want
to work. That may have been the SCSI to ST506 converter I have - WD1003SCS.
Other than that note the inboard outboard problem above. New driver to cure that
is due RSN. It is a SW problem. (The original driver for the Supra didn't
care.)

>Please reply by mail.

Sorry - mail doesn't seem to work for me here very well. Over half the messages
I send out come back. I does the best I can with available resources and time.

--
<@_@>
	BIX:jdow

Remember - A bird in the hand often leaves a sticky deposit. Perhaps it was
better you left it in the bush with the other one.