[comp.sys.amiga] Drive problems

R5K@PSUVMB.BITNET (Randy Katz) (09/21/87)

Ever since I bought my amiga (used), I've been having false read errors.
Mainly from the internal drive, but sometimes from the external too. When I
pick 'retry' it works fine. This is ok, except for the many programs that
dont allow me to retry, and just sit there while I can't switch back to the
workbench screen. Some people told me it could be due to grounding problems.
I've cleaned the drive, and even oiled the drive shafts. But nothing seems
to help. Any Ideas?
BTW, I also have a problem with scattered dots in graphics, scattered in
evenly spaces lines during some animation, usually fast.. Also heard this
is a grounding problem..
If someone knows what I can ground to what, please reply.. (on here, I cant
receive mail directly on my node.)

Thank you..
            Randy Katz

rgd059@Mipl3.JPL.Nasa.Gov (09/22/87)

Randy Katz writes:
>Ever since I bought my amiga (used), I've been having false read errors.
>Mainly from the internal drive, but sometimes from the external too. When I
>pick 'retry' it works fine. This is ok, except for the many programs that
>dont allow me to retry, and just sit there while I can't switch back to the
>workbench screen. Some people told me it could be due to grounding problems.

This won't fix the problem, but it may make it easier to live with.  Under
1.2, most system requesters allow keyboard shortcuts.  Left-Amiga-V is retry,
and Left-Amiga-B is cancel.  These will probably work even if you can't see
the workbench screen, since the requesters are automatically selected.  I
think this may be mentioned somewhere in the Enhancer manual, but I don't
know where (I don't have it with me).  Hope it helps.

Bob Deen  @  NASA-JPL Image Processing Lab
rgd059@mipl3.jpl.nasa.gov
(818) 354-7492 (w)  (818) 796-4111 (h)