[comp.sys.amiga] Who's putting that window there?

mwm@violet.berkeley.edu (Mike (My watch has windows) Meyer) (09/20/87)

While fooling with my windows, I stumbled over a small window hiding
in the upper left-hand corner of the screen. A couple of pixels wide,
10 high, and apparently no gadgets.

I'm running the usual slew of "customize youre environment" background
tasks. I'd like to know which one is creating that thing. Not worth
chasing through anything to find, but if you know of a utility that
does this, could you let me know it's name?

	Thanx,
	<mike
--
Must have walked those streets for hours,		Mike Meyer
In the dark and in the cold,				mwm@berkeley.edu

In article <5164@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> mwm@violet.berkeley.edu (Mike (My watch has windows) Meyer) writes:

>While fooling with my windows, I stumbled over a small window hiding
>in the upper left-hand corner of the screen. A couple of pixels wide,
>10 high, and apparently no gadgets.  [ ... ]  I'd like to know which
>one is creating that thing.  [ ... ]

	Speaking for myself, Robotroff opens a 3 x 10 gadgetless window on
startup.  But it only does this to get the address of the Workbench ViewPort
structure.  Once it does this, it closes it right away.  So I doubt it's me.

	By logical extention, perhaps some other mouse-manipulator or other
Workbench modifier is doing this.  I see no reason to keep such a window
hanging around.

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	ihnp4!ptsfa -\
 \_ -_	 Bike shrunk by popular demand,	      dual ---> !{well,unicom}!ewhac
O----^o	 But it's still the only way to fly.  hplabs / (pronounced "AE-wack")

jimm@mitsumi.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) (09/22/87)

In article <4001@well.UUCP> ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) writes:
>	Speaking for myself, Robotroff opens a 3 x 10 gadgetless window on
>startup.  But it only does this to get the address of the Workbench ViewPort
>structure.
>Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	ihnp4!ptsfa -\

In my rude hacks, I do something like

	lock_token = LockIBase(0L);
	for (screen = IntuitionBase->FirstScreen; screen;
		screen = screen->NextScreen)
	{
		if (screen->(I forget) == WORKBENCHSCREEN (or whatever))
		{
			kprintf("yippee!! I found it: %lx\n", screen);
			break;
		}
	}
	UnlockIBase(lock_token);
	if (!screen)	kprintf("You in more trouble than you think.\n");

I also find rastports of paint programs this way: I look for the first
screen which isn't the workbench and grab on to its rastport.  I do
some voodoo rendering into that rastport, and then use the paint
program to save it off as an IFF file.  Beats workin'!

	jimm

--
	Jim Mackraz
	Mitsumi Technology, Inc.		408/980-5422