[comp.sys.amiga] IBM

In article <1601@gryphon.CTS.COM>, richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
> In article <707@sugar.UUCP> I say:
> >IBM legitimised nothing. As usual, they took over an existing market.
> >-- Peter da Silva `-_-' ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter
>
> But but but...
>
> CP/M was just an operating system. It ran on all sorts or
> different hardware, 8080's, Z-80's, 8" drives, 5" drives,
> S-100 busses, STD bus ets.

Which meant that most software for CP/M had to be well behaved. Which meant
you could get CP/M hardware from an Apple-II up to multiuser systems. There
were even CP/Mulators for UNIX and VMS.

I guess it boils down to: I see this as an feature, not a bug.

> IBM offered a one-stop solution. It may suck dead gerbils through
> a dirty garden hose, but it seems to suit most peoples needs.

Cromemco also offered a one-stop solution. So did Televideo. They all
sold a complete system and carried the popular packages. Which is much
more than IBM did.
--
-- Peter da Silva `-_-' ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter
--                 'U`  Have you hugged your wolf today?