[comp.sys.amiga] Technical excellence in publishing

kim@amdahl.UUCP (08/31/87)

[ For all you do ... this line's for you ... ]

I just picked up the new (September) issue of BYTE Magazine, and was very
disappointed to see that they've dropped the Amiga (and ST) coverage from
their "Best of BIX" area.

Not that I ever really got much out of the section in the first place, but
I saw the recognition (by BYTE) as a positive thing.

And, while I haven't looked at each article individually yet, none of them
appear to be targeted toward Amiga/ST owners.  Remember how about a year
ago BYTE said they'd do a special 68000-oriented issue like they do for
PClone's?  And then they backed off to doing 68000-oriented coverage on a
regular and continuing basis in their regular issues?  Sigh.

I guess this is good for AmigaWorld (who is now going monthly), Amazing
Computing, and the AmiProject, as the concentration of *good* technical
articles should be higher in them, potential authors having fewer
publication alternatives.  But it sure won't help show off the unique
capabilities of these machines to the non-enthusiast.  Of course if
Commodore were to do some *serious* advertising ...

It's sad, really, that the premire technical publications like BYTE and
Dr. Dobb's have chosen to largely ignore technically superior machines
in favor of continual re-hashing of the more popular (in terms of market
penetration, anyway) ones.  For example, the only Amiga related article
I can recall in Dr. Dobb's, was a biased and inaccurate comparison of
the Amiga vs. the Mac WRT programming the two machines by Jan Harrington.

Gone are the irreverent but informative articles, and the willingness to
strike out in new directions that was the hallmark of "Dr. Dobb's Journal
of Computer Calisthenics & Orthodontia  [Running Light Without Overbyte]".
Sad.

You will be pleased to know though that you can now buy a "Micro Clipper
Graphics Subsystem" for your aging PClone (for $3300 ... math coprocessor
and additional memory recommended, but extra), that will allow you to select
16 simultaneous colors from a palette of 4096 ... :-)  [Actually, this looks
like a pretty nice product, and is said to run AutoCAD "5 to 10" times faster
than native PClones, depending on model].

Sorry to ramble on so ... I'll stop now.

/kim

--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ihnp4,seismo,oliveb,cbosgd}!amdahl!kim

jdow@gryphon.CTS.COM (Joanne Dow) (08/31/87)

In article <13323@amdahl.amdahl.com> kim@amdahl.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) writes:

>[ For all you do ... this line's for you ... ]
>
>I just picked up the new (September) issue of BYTE Magazine, and was very
>disappointed to see that they've dropped the Amiga (and ST) coverage from
>their "Best of BIX" area.
>
>Not that I ever really got much out of the section in the first place, but
>I saw the recognition (by BYTE) as a positive thing.

Alas, Kim, you have witnessed the demise of Best of BIX published as a part
of BYTE magazine. ( IMHO this notone of their smartest moves; but, their
rather rigidly maintained ratio of editorial material to advertisements has
dictated chopping some articles as the number of ads drops. (If you know any
vendors who can afford BYTE ads encourage it perhaps?))

Charlie Heath and I have been doing the extracts of recent months. We are still
doing extracts - on the 15th of each month. There willbe some sort of
supplemental package to accompany BYTE that contains these BoB extracts. I
believe they're talking over 32 pages of stuff related to one major topic.

Anyway - don't look for more BoB in BYTE. (In a sense it was an ad for BIX.
The IBM and Mac areas are (relatively) small fish compared to the Amiga area
there. (Yes, you do hear pride in my voice. It's work; but, it's lots of fun
making those Amiga conferences interesting enough that outside the listings
area we're the biggest bix has last I heard.) Hence, why "advertise" the Amiga
conferences? (There are three public and one private conferences with Amiga
leading their names. There are MANY well supported vendor support conferences
as well. Both Jim Goodnow and John Meissen/John Toebes of Aztec and lattice C's
are there very regularly.)

Oops - this is sounding like an ad. better stop before I get folks mad! <o.o>

--
<@_@>
	BIX:jdow

Remember - A bird in the hand often leaves a sticky deposit. Perhaps it was
better you left it in the bush with the other one.

bpendlet@esunix.UUCP (09/01/87)

in article <13323@amdahl.amdahl.com>, kim@amdahl.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) says:
> It's sad, really, that the premire technical publications like BYTE and
> Dr. Dobb's have chosen to largely ignore technically superior machines
>
> /kim

After more than ten years as a BYTE subscriber, the September issue convinced
me to drop my subscription to BYTE. Even Jerry's column was boring this month.

A month or two ago the editorial described the results of a reader survey
they had conducted. It marked the end of BYTE as a computer magazine and
the birth of BYTE the IBM slave. The survey showed that the average BYTE
reader was an upscale, highly educated, computer illiterate who used IBM
computers at home and at work. My interpretation, not theirs.
--
Bob Pendleton @ Evans & Sutherland
UUCP Address:  {decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4,allegra}!decwrl!esunix!bpendlet

rick@oresoft.UUCP (Rick Lahrson) (09/08/87)

In article <467@esunix.UUCP> bpendlet@esunix.UUCP (Bob Pendleton) writes:
>in article <...>, kim@amdahl.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) says:
>> It's sad, really, that the premire technical publications like BYTE and
>> Dr. Dobb's have chosen to largely ignore technically superior machines
>>
>After more than ten years as a BYTE subscriber, the September issue convinced
>me to drop my subscription to BYTE. Even Jerry's column was boring this month.
>
>A month or two ago the editorial described the results of a reader survey
>they had conducted. It marked the end of BYTE as a computer magazine and
>the birth of BYTE the IBM slave. The survey showed that the average BYTE
>reader was an upscale, highly educated, computer illiterate who used IBM
>computers at home and at work. My interpretation, not theirs.

Alas, I too have given up on BYTE.  I won't be renewing my subscription.
And Dr. Dobb's is on probation.

I don't understand how ...  never mind.  I forgot.  The "bottom line".
Money.  That's what's determining policy in American business.  Money-
oriented people are making the decisions about what's good and what's
not so good.  And money-oriented people don't care about anything but
their dead numbers.  Quality doesn't enter into it.  Witness the purchase
and third party support of IBM Pieces o' Crap, when such things as the
Amiga exist.  Now BYTE has sold out.

This looks like a close race -- either the Amiga gets immensely popular
with the business community, or it dies from sheer public airheadedness.

A note to Commodore:

Hurry up with that 2000, friends.  Get it in the stores, the mail-order
houses, and in people's awareness.  And, for goodness' sake:

*** A D V E R T I S E ***  the Amiga!  Advertise it!  Then Advertise it!
And Advertise it some more.  Ever notice?:  IBM advertises, in a BIG way.
Ever notice?:  They're bigger than you, getting bigger still, and thriving.
                          (There's a connection)

--

Rick Lahrson  ...tektronix!oresoft!rick

Disclaimer:  If I ever speak for anyone but me, I'll warn you in adic wmpl

In article <67@oresoft.UUCP> rick@oresoft.UUCP (Rick Lahrson) writes:
>In article <467@esunix.UUCP> bpendlet@esunix.UUCP (Bob Pendleton) writes:
>>in article <...>, kim@amdahl.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) says:
>>> It's sad, really, that the premire technical publications like BYTE and
>>> Dr. Dobb's have chosen to largely ignore technically superior machines
>>>
>>After more than ten years as a BYTE subscriber, the September issue convinced
>>me to drop my subscription to BYTE. Even Jerry's column was boring this month.
                                           ^^^^^^^

See his column in Infoworld this week ? Raving about the Atari ST and
all but dismissing the Amiga as an "Artists machine".

Sure. Its plain to see. Every time I read this group I see "artists"
talking about named pipes, resource tracking, serial.port timestamping etc.

Funny, but my brother went to "Art school" and for some reason they
just didn't get around to this stuff.

>>A month or two ago the editorial described the results of a reader survey
>>they had conducted. It marked the end of BYTE as a computer magazine and
>>the birth of BYTE the IBM slave. The survey showed that the average BYTE
>>reader was an upscale, highly educated, computer illiterate who used IBM
>>computers at home and at work. My interpretation, not theirs.
>
>Alas, I too have given up on BYTE.  I won't be renewing my subscription.
>And Dr. Dobb's is on probation.

Gawd, I gave up mine in '73 :-) When Leo was 9. Ouch.

I only buy 'em if a particular article looks interesting or I need
to read some ads.

>I don't understand how ...  never mind.

Me either. Ok.

>I forgot.

Me too.

> The "bottom line".
>Money.  That's what's determining policy in American business.  Money-
>oriented people are making the decisions about what's good and what's
>not so good.  And money-oriented people don't care about anything but
>their dead numbers.  Quality doesn't enter into it.  Witness the purchase
>and third party support of IBM Pieces o' Crap, when such things as the
>Amiga exist.  Now BYTE has sold out.

Crap. They care about solutions. IBM legitamized the whole crop of
buisness oriented microcomputers, and made it fit on top of the
desk instead of BE the desk, to boot. (no put intended)

>This looks like a close race -- either the Amiga gets immensely popular
>kith the business community, or it dies from sheer public airheadedness.

While massive support from the buisness community would be nice, if
C= were to go *poof* tomorrow and not a single buisness were to
use a single amiga I dont really think the user enthusiasm would
dwindle mush at all. Face it, all C= had to do was get these
damn things into our hands. Now they are done.

Sure a laptop amiga would be nice, as would be 24 bitplanes, but
I figure I have 10 years worth of things to do on my short term list.

Anything C= gives is now would just be icing on the cake. And
icing is oh so sweet.

>A note to Commodore:
>
>Hurry up with that 2000, friends.  Get it in the stores, the mail-order
>houses, and in people's awareness.  And, for goodness' sake:
>
>*** A D V E R T I S E ***  the Amiga!  Advertise it!  Then Advertise it!
>And Advertise it some more.  Ever notice?:  IBM advertises, in a BIG way.
>Ever notice?:  They're bigger than you, getting bigger still, and thriving.
>                          (There's a connection)
>
>--

Yeah, they could sell 18 more machines. Wasn't this #87 ?

Seriously, C='s advertising schedule was posted on Plink (thanks Harv)
and it looks pretty good. Now, if only we could convince them of ht
merit of airing the Dale and =RJ= "we thank you for your support" and
Amiga 999 commercials...

>Rick Lahrson  ...tektronix!oresoft!rick
--
Richard J. Sexton
INTERNET:     richard@gryphon.CTS.COM

"It's too dark to put the key in my ignition..."

czei@osupyr.UUCP (Michael S Czeiszperger) (09/11/87)

>>A note to Commodore:
>>
>>Hurry up with that 2000, friends.  Get it in the stores, the mail-order
>>houses, and in people's awareness.  And, for goodness' sake:
>>
>>*** A D V E R T I S E ***  the Amiga!  Advertise it!  Then Advertise it!
>>And Advertise it some more.  Ever notice?:  IBM advertises, in a BIG way.
>>Ever notice?:  They're bigger than you, getting bigger still, and thriving.
>>                          (There's a connection)
>>
>>--

This is  probably old news, but I read somewhere that Commodore's CEO,
and all the of the marketing staff was fired this year.  It's about
time, I know children who could market a computer better.

Michael S. Czeiszperger           | Disclaimer: "Sorry, I'm all out of pith"
Sound Synthesis Studios           | Snail: Room 406 Baker     Phone: (614)
College of the Arts Computer Lab  |        1971 Neil Avenue            292-
The Ohio State University         |        Columbus, OH 43210           0895
UUCP : {decvax,ucbvax}!cbosgd!osupyr!czei

thornton@ssc-vax.UUCP (Ken Thornton) (09/11/87)

Some recent revealing comments:

> See his column in Infoworld this week ? Raving about the Atari ST and
> all but dismissing the Amiga as an "Artists machine".

> >A note to Commodore:
> >
> >Hurry up with that 2000, friends.  Get it in the stores, the mail-order
> >houses, and in people's awareness.  And, for goodness' sake:
> >
> >*** A D V E R T I S E ***  the Amiga!  Advertise it!  Then Advertise it!
> >And Advertise it some more.  Ever notice?:  IBM advertises, in a BIG way.
> >Ever notice?:  They're bigger than you, getting bigger still, and thriving.

What conclusions can be drawn? Perhaps that:

   1. Commodore does not heavily advertise the Amiga in the US
   2. Publishers are to some degree responsible to their advertisers
   3. ..and therefore publishers have largely ignored the Amiga

I too think it's a damn shame.

--
     /\
  /\/  \/\

peter@sugar.UUCP (09/12/87)

> Crap. They care about solutions. IBM legitamized the whole crop of
> buisness oriented microcomputers, and made it fit on top of the
> desk instead of BE the desk, to boot. (no put intended)

Talking about bovine excrement. CP/M had already achieved considerable
acceptance from the business community. In fact there was a fair amount
of opposition to the IBM-PC at first because it wasn't CP/M compatible.

IBM legitimised nothing. As usual, they took over an existing market.
--
-- Peter da Silva `-_-' ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter
--                 'U`      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Not seismo!soma (blush)

rick@oresoft.UUCP (Rick Lahrson) (09/14/87)

In article <900@ssc-bee.ssc-vax.UUCP> thornton@ssc-vax.UUCP (Ken Thornton) writes:
>Some recent revealing comments:
>> See his column in Infoworld this week ? Raving about the Atari ST and
>> all but dismissing the Amiga as an "Artists machine".
>> >A note to Commodore:
>> >*** A D V E R T I S E ***  the Amiga!  Advertise it!  Then Advertise it!
>> >And Advertise it some more.  Ever notice?:  IBM advertises, in a BIG way.
>> >Ever notice?:  They're bigger than you, getting bigger still, and thriving.
>
>What conclusions can be drawn? Perhaps that:
>
>   1. Commodore does not heavily advertise the Amiga in the US
>   2. Publishers are to some degree responsible to their advertisers
>   3. ..and therefore publishers have largely ignored the Amiga

Good point!
--

Rick Lahrson  ...tektronix!oresoft!rick

Disclaimer:  If I ever speak for anyone but me, I'll warn you in advance.

In article <707@sugar.UUCP> peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
>> Crap. They care about solutions. IBM legitamized the whole crop of
>> buisness oriented microcomputers, and made it fit on top of the
>> desk instead of BE the desk, to boot. (no put intended)
>
>Talking about bovine excrement. CP/M had already achieved considerable
>acceptance from the business community. In fact there was a fair amount
>of opposition to the IBM-PC at first because it wasn't CP/M compatible.
>
>IBM legitimised nothing. As usual, they took over an existing market.
>-- Peter da Silva `-_-' ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter

But but but...

CP/M was just an operating system. It ran on all sorts or
different hardware, 8080's, Z-80's, 8" drives, 5" drives,
S-100 busses, STD bus ets.

In other words, the software was pretty standardized (except for the
Z-80 vs 8080 vs 8085 question), but the hardware was wildly divergent.

IBM offered a one-stop solution. It may suck dead gerbils through
a dirty garden hose, but it seems to suit most peoples needs.

(them whats donts need blitters and copper lists that is ;-)

Followups (if any) somewhere else.

--
Richard J. Sexton
INTERNET:     richard@gryphon.CTS.COM
UUCP:         {hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, ihnp4, nosc}!crash!gryphon!richard

"It's too dark to put the keys in my ignition..."

tony@artecon.artecon.UUCP (Anthony D. Parkhurst) (09/21/87)

In article <1601@gryphon.CTS.COM>, richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:

> IBM offered a one-stop solution.

Yes, like MS-DOS or PC-DOS on an 8088, 8086, 80286, or 80386 with
monocrome, CGA, EGA, PGA, etc etc etc.

Oh, wait, you said "one-stop", you mean like stopping you from using more
than 640k even if you had 4 megs? :-)

(Of course, now there is PC/2's with OS/2)

> It may suck dead gerbils through
> a dirty garden hose, but it seems to suit most peoples needs.

I find myself in violent agreement with you.  Only because most people don't
need a computer :-o

-- tony
--
**************** Insert 'Standard' Disclaimer here:  OOP ACK! *****************
* Tony Parkhurst -> hp-sdd!artecon!adp.UUCP (or) hp-sdd!artecon!adp@nosc.ARPA *

alastair@geovision.UUCP (Alastair Mayer) (09/24/87)

In article <603@artecon.artecon.UUCP> tony@artecon.artecon.UUCP (Anthony D. Parkhurst) writes:
>(Of course, now there is PC/2's with OS/2)

  Only Incompetent But Marketable would call a major new product line
half a pc, and tout the benefits of half an OS.
  Oh, you mean that "/" *doesn't* mean "divided by"?
--
 Alastair JW Mayer     BIX: al
                      UUCP: ...!utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!cognos!geovision!alastair

 "What we really need is a good 5-cent/gram launch vehicle."