[comp.sys.amiga] Too compatible ... blink, blink, blink ...

kim@amdahl.UUCP (09/25/87)

[ "Send lawyers, guns, and money ..." ]

I finally got may hands on a B2000 today, and discovered that there are
a couple of things that really bother me ... one is CBM's fault, the other
is a due to IBM's ineptitude.  Hopefully both can be corrected, as otherwise,
the B2000 is a beautiful hunk of iron.

First .. the keyboard seems quite flimsy.  Almost like the plastic case is
about 1/2 the thickness of the A1000's case.  So, if you bang on the keys
like I do, it bows and flexes all over the place.  It does NOT have a very
solid feel to it.

Second, is a problem with the Bridge card.  Y'all did *too* good a job of
being PClone compatible ... right down to that bloody @#$%!#? blinking
cursor!  Please tell me I can change this with some kind of s/w config
command ... PLEASE!!!  (The dealer didn't know if/how to do so.)

If I can't do it with a command, PLEASE tell me what traces to cut/jump
as can be done on CGA and EGA boards.  Gak ... I cannot tolerate cursors
that blink ..... blink ..... blink ..... blink .....

BTW, I don't think I'm alone on this, as that is one of the most requested
mods I know of to a PClone ... and one that requires a H/W zap to fix in
"true", 100% compatible machines.  Please tell me you didn't prevent the
USER from deciding how s/he likes to see the USER interface behave!

A final question to anyone who knows ... what are the differences (if any)
between the 1080 monitor, and the new 2002 monitor that my dealer was
unloading this morning?  They are not the long persistence monitors (per
the dealer).  BTW, when *will* those long persistence monitors become
available?

/kim

--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ihnp4,uunet,oliveb,cbosgd,ames}!amdahl!kim

miner@dino.cpe.ulowell.edu (Rich Miner) (09/25/87)

In article <15023@amdahl.amdahl.com> (Kim DeVaughn) writes:
>...a problem with the Bridge card.  Y'all did *too* good a job of
>being PClone compatible ... right down to that bloody @#$%!#? blinking
>cursor!  Please tell me I can change this with some kind of s/w config
>command ...
Look at the menu items in the PC-Monochrome Monitor emulation window.
One of the items should be for cursor, you control the shape (box or
underscore) and blink rate.   The rate can be set to no-blink.  Take a good
look at the features in that menu.  The enhanced PC screen control
software is one of the best features of the PC on a bridge board vs. a real
--
Rich miner@ulowell.edu  617/452-5000x2693  ULowell CPE Imaging Research Lab